NLP
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NLP  (Read 8030 times)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
NLP
« on: July 04, 2021, 01:06:48 PM »

So we're staying part time this season and not going hybrid until next year (if we stay up).
This explains the delay in getting people in doesn't it?
Hope we can still find someone to lead the line and score goals for us. That is essential imvho if we are to stay in this division.

What do you folks think?

PS. FWIW, If we can't afford it, then I guess we're doing the right thing.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:08:35 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: NLP
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »

Oh dear.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 01:35:04 PM »

Where did you see this?

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »

Where did you see this?

From John Laidlar's Alty Files website, source the Non League Paper 🤔
"HYBRID" HIBERNATES AT ALTY
In today's NL Paper, it says that "Altrincham face 'a big challenge' after postponing a switch to full-time football.
According to the NL Paper, that was the view of Altrincham assistant manager Neil Sorvel. He and manager Phil Parkinson were "handed full-time deals... with the playing staff slated to move to a hybrid model before following suit next season.
But depressed finances and player reluctance made any change impossible, leaving Alty as one of only three fully part-time sides in the top flight of non-League football.
'After having discussions with the players, we realised that a lot of them couldn't do it' said Sorvel (pictured, left). 'And with the financial implications, the budget we've got, the fact that the majority of the lads have only got a year left on their contracts, we just decided it would be easier to do it next season [2022-23].
'Am I frustrated? Yeah, a little bit. It's a difficult sitiation. King's Lynn have jumped to full-time, so have Woking. Weymouth have gone to a hybrid model.
'That leaves just us, Wealdstone and Dover which is a big, big challenge... If we can stay up for another season then we can re-evaluate. If we are good to go hybrid after that, then that's the plan'", stated Sorvel
Nevertheless Alty are "adding extra Monday night sessions ahead of midweek games this season. 'We felt it was essential' explains Sorvel who noted that last season 'The sides in this division were full-time teams from an organisational point of view. That was a big difference... The other thing we noticed was that lots of teams would rather avoid defeat than push to win a game... It's tough to play against'" said Sorvel.
The NLP adds that "Alty will target 'one or two' young players capable of moving to a hybrid model this summer but the majority of the squad will remain in place...
'To finish top of the promoted teams was an achievement in itself... The second [season] can often be more difficult because teams know more about you. For us as a club, it's about stabilising...
'We need to stay as a National League club for a couple of seasons before we can look at anything beyond that'" concluded Sorvel.

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »

Cheers 👍

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:03:47 PM »

So, from reading that, we can assume we'll be looking to bring in a couple of young players willing to play part time this year but aiming to go full time next year.
Let's hope at least one of them is someone to play up top. It really needs to be.
I must say, it makes Ringos departure more difficult to understand unless he plans to retire or wants more game time somewhere.
Feeling pretty downbeat at the moment. Most of the clubs who finished around us have reinforced big time so I fear this season will see us struggle.
At the moment, best case is that we can use our team spirit as a twelfth man and manage to stay up so that this time next year we can revive the plan.
In any case, we're going to need to get behind the boys more than ever!
(defiant) Come on you Supers!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 02:18:04 PM »

Anyone else also deem it to be somewhat strange for this significant news about the club's future to be revealed via the pages of the NLP rather than on the official club website?

A degree of embarrassment from the board after having previously announced such a pivotal transition, perhaps?

So, we remain a part-time team who now have a full-time manager.

You also get the impression that we are struggling to discard some of those players who were rather inexplicably awarded two-year contracts last summer.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »

Going to be even more difficult given we'll probably be playing the first few games away with the new pitch needing some time to bed in.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 04:53:02 PM »

i'd take with a massive pinch of salt anything written in the NLP. can someone link me to the announcement that were going hybrid this season?

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 05:07:10 PM »

It does seem funny that the club haven't responded to the article - I think it's probably true unfortunately.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »

i'd take with a massive pinch of salt anything written in the NLP. can someone link me to the announcement that were going hybrid this season?

It was discussed quite a bit in John and Brian’s interview with Phil, Neil and Bill when the new contracts for the management team were announced:

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/news/news-conference-with-bill-waterson-phil-parkinson-neil-sorvel
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:50:49 PM by Leon »

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »

Thanks for that Leon. I couldn't cite it as I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to attachments etc.
I think it's got to be accurate.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »

Here's the NLP article:

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »

So we're staying part time this season and not going hybrid until next year (if we stay up).
This explains the delay in getting people in doesn't it?
Hope we can still find someone to lead the line and score goals for us.   That is essential imvho if we are to stay in this division.

What do you folks think?

PS. FWIW, If we can't afford it, then I guess we're doing the right thing.

I hope Mr Dinanga will be a solution for the goal shortage

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »

Two things here:

First

Very disappointed that Neil has taken the need to speak to NLP. As a seasoned footballing man, I would have thought he'd have the sense to ignore NLP sniffing a story.

Neil should have spoken to John Edwards or Brian Flynn immediately after NLP got in touch and let them handle a statement to our fans, with an exclusive agreement tfor NLP to have collum inches.

Secondly, very disappointed in the club for allowing this to occur - two year contracts of that quantity were a huge risk, to announce this long term strategy without a plan of who would be able to do it/ willing to stay PT/move on was silly, and possibly reckless, to make a huge song about Alistair and now this as hugely backfired.

A sh*t show of the highest proportions across numerous people here, and I think it highlights a few skills gap the board need.
It's all my fault.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 NLP