PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Wealdstone Match Thread  (Read 16821 times)

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
Re: Wealdstone Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »

Thompson has virtually reached the penalty spot by the time the Wealdstone player takes that penalty kick! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbrgMU5ZFI
Both decisions look more reasonable on the replay than I thought live. Tony’s penalty technique has always been to run at the taker. Watch the bishop Auckland shoot out. He needs to change it really as sooner or later he’s going to get called out by a ref because it’s not even marginal!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »

Having listened to PPs' interview sounds like we will appeal the red
Full time and proud of it

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2021, 11:29:36 PM »

Having listened to PPs' interview sounds like we will appeal the red

Despite the RR commentary being convinced it was harsh, I'm not unhappy with the red card now I've seen it.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2021, 11:59:33 PM »

Thompson has virtually reached the penalty spot by the time the Wealdstone player takes that penalty kick! 

Both decisions look more reasonable on the replay than I thought live. Tony’s penalty technique has always been to run at the taker. Watch the bishop Auckland shoot out. He needs to change it really as sooner or later he’s going to get called out by a ref because it’s not even marginal!

I remember a Kettering Town keeper did the same in a penalty shoot out at Moss Lane some years back and saved it. I shouted "he's off his line"! Fortunately the referee agreed and the retaken penalty was scored as Alty went on to win the shootout.

Really though, unless keepers are booked for being off their line, what has he got to lose by trying his luck?

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 12:31:26 AM »

I remember a Kettering Town keeper did the same in a penalty shoot out at Moss Lane some years back and saved it. I shouted "he's off his line"! Fortunately the referee agreed and the retaken penalty was scored as Alty went on to win the shootout.

Really though, unless keepers are booked for being off their line, what has he got to lose by trying his luck?

Shot hits the post and ref orders a retake or he saves a rubbish pen he could have saved on his line and the guy gets another go. Equally what’s the point of saving one with this technique if there’s a chance the save gets chalked off?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 01:03:39 AM »

I assume keepers will get away with it sometimes. In the Kettering shootout, their keeper had come off his line for another penalty before the one which was retaken. If keeepers never get away with it I imagine it would stop. Same with the blatant time wasting nonsense (I remember that Blyth keeper who went to York (Peter) the season we both made the playoffs, they were playing for a draw, and I threw the ball to him from the back of the Chequers End. He let it sail past inches from his hand when it was obvious to anyone he could have caugt it easily. Obviously the referee did nothing).

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »

I saw some analysis recently around how Premier League goalkeepers have adapted to VAR by learning to keep one of their legs trailed back.

Was quite interesting to watch on the replays.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »

This is different. Really good view of the sending off at about 6:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPh3tLQock

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 08:58:23 AM »

Pretty poor challenge really. I can think of a few others in the squad who wouldn't have needed to play the man.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2021, 09:22:50 AM »

Pretty poor challenge really. I can think of a few others in the squad who wouldn't have needed to play the man.
he took the man, for me no feet raised, certainly a yellow, harsh red. The penalty can't tell from that video, on conference highlights it looked like a penalty.

Overall we created enough to have scored, we need to be more clinical with better quality finishing and getting shot away sooner

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »

First time I've seen it - certainly a cynical tackle, stonewaller of a yellow, but not dangerous in my eyes and certainly not a red.

Not enough in it to be overturned though, I wouldn't bother appealing as you usually need a watertight case in these sorts of things.

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »

Dunno why Parky is clinging onto excuses here, both decisions could have gone either way, think it's a stretch to say both of them are definite errors from the ref

andrewflynn

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »

This is different. Really good view of the sending off at about 6:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPh3tLQock

I really like the way that has been put together. I wouldn't want to lose our very polished and well produced Alty TV highlights but that rough around the edges, almost-vlog like approach is great at placing you into the event. It would work well as an 'alternative highlights' package style for us.

Good watch.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »

Quality HD viewing too. Must be expensive kit they are using to get up close.

Inter Alty!

• Regular First Team
  • Come on u Robins!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »

Personally think it's all irrelevant about whether it was a pen or not or whether it was a red card or not... main issue (like last season) is actually putting the ball in the net...

We should have been out of sight by time of pen with all the chances we created... we could easily have been 3or4 up by time of pen... various people missed chances, but Dinanga had by far the most & on another day could have had a hattrick...

Finding someone who can finish all the chances we create is our main problem area... we can debate whether we persist with Dinanga or give Peers or Leitch-Smith or someone else a chance up top, but this still needs resolving...

It was a frustrating afternoon all round, compounded by the loss of young Connor Kirby to serious injury...

One final thought - really impressed by how welcoming Wealdstone were as a club & by their fans plus all the fundraising they have done for Connor since is amazing!
Following Alty since 1977... a rollercoaster ride!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wealdstone Match Thread