PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grimsby Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Grimsby Match Thread  (Read 16598 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Grimsby Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 09:55:44 PM »

Grimsby have sold 1000 tickets

Fair play to them for a 200 mile plus round trip on a Tuesday night in crap weather that is absolutely incredible support, and would be about 2-3 leagues above this one too, suspect we might give them a bit of the Pop Side as well as the Chequers plus their seats in the Family Stand. We basically had 1000 home fans against Kings Lynn last Tuesday but suspect PSG-City on TV knocked a bit off the gate so hopefully with no TV distractions and in a bigger match against the leaders more like 1200-1300 on our side and similar from them we’ll be looking at around 2500 in. Rain should just about have eased off by KO too and good test for our new pitch and drainage system too-no question this would likely have been off last season for me.

They’ve been sensational at home but average away with 1 win, 2 draws and defeat at Bromley so we can do them. We’ll need to use the squad again though as that comeback win plus the long journey down at Daggers must have taken it out of the lads. Hancock and Pringle to come in and start perhaps.

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 10:10:26 PM »

Wow thats got to be the most away fans ever for a league game if they sell more i would think the pop side will have to be segregated aswell could we actually get well over 2000 tomorrow?

Didn't Stockport bring well over a thousand first time we played them in the NLN?
Also, could be wrong but, what about the first Wrexham game?
Not sure but were they not Saturday games?

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 10:14:04 PM »

I'm a bit concerned about giving them a just a bit of the popular side. If it does rain, it could end up very packed under the cover. If we open the pop side to them, yes the stewards could stop any more coming in if necessary but for me that would cause unnecessary friction in a big match where tensions may already be high. I suggest we would be better to give them half of it if they come in at all, which should be comfortably enough for all who want to go under cover. It might make for a better atmosphere in the home end as well.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 10:17:11 PM »

Wow thats got to be the most away fans ever for a league game if they sell more i would think the pop side will have to be segregated aswell could we actually get well over 2000 tomorrow?

Didn't Stockport bring well over a thousand first time we played them in the NLN?

Wrexham I think was a bank holiday weekend when they brought about 1,600.

Certainly it could be the most ever for a league game on a wet Tuesday night, with a fuel crisis (apparently easing now), that's a long way to travel.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »

Sorry. Didn't realise you were meaning mid-week games only.
In that case it's going to be the biggest away following for ages.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 01:24:54 AM »

I'm a bit concerned about giving them a just a bit of the popular side. If it does rain, it could end up very packed under the cover. If we open the pop side to them, yes the stewards could stop any more coming in if necessary but for me that would cause unnecessary friction in a big match where tensions may already be high. I suggest we would be better to give them half of it if they come in at all, which should be comfortably enough for all who want to go under cover. It might make for a better atmosphere in the home end as well.
Nope.....Popside is for home supporters when we kick towards the Chequers end. Happy for the captain's to sort it so 50% of the pop side becomes available second half and we kick towards Golf Rd, but Popside is no longer to be used for accommodating away fans at the expense of pissing off home support
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 09:38:20 AM »

Wrexham brought loads for a trophy midweek
It's all my fault.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

If we give up any of the pop side, you might as well tell Parkinson to turn it in as well.

That top corner, packed, whilst a away side can't sing in the wind and rain makes a huge difference.

Even if we attack the Golf Road, I'll be hugely disappointed if we give up that corner.
It's all my fault.

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »

You either give them more space in that final third or you cap their allocation of tickets, which I'd imagine we don't want to do.

If Grimsby fans are being given that space then Altrincham fans should stay on the Golf Road End rather than move around.

that man showler

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 11:50:07 AM »

Tonight going to be a learning curve for the club perhaps the big games we play should  be made all ticket having tickets available to purchase on the gate is asking for trouble potentially allowing Away fans into the home section i am sure Grimbsy fans will be no trouble but all it takes and we have seen it before is a couple of idiots in the home end looking for trouble.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »

Will miss listening tonight as I am in hospital

Harold

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »

Personally, I'd cap the away end, give an allocation in the family stand like Notts County and take the hit.

Hale End terrace: 1,434 is plenty of tickets; it's 22% capacity of our ground. Imagine United giving City

You're giving a huge advantage up and we haven't learnt from when we played nice with Chester fans.

Is £3500 (200*£17) worth losing advantage for - WITHOUT any being concession/kids etc.
It's all my fault.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »

Looks like Grimsby will be given some of the pop side tonight according to twitter. I understand the sentiment but also can't help but think it puts us at a slight disadvantage for being at home.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 05:06:22 PM »

There were many considerations in allowing Grimsby some of the pop side, not least a risk of incursions at the home end if the away end is sold out.  By giving Grimsby the scope to have more than 1500 supporters in the ground we remove the risk of that.

We have sold over 2000 tickets for this game already.  It is already our biggest Tuesday league crowd since Macclesfield in 1994-5 and I believe we can surpass that.  There are still over two hours to kick off and tickets are still selling well. 

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 05:11:03 PM »

I've no problem with fitting as many as possible away fans in.

Remember Stockport having some of the Popular stand, think we won 4-1
Full time and proud of it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Grimsby Match Thread