PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tommy Tommy Peers
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tommy Tommy Peers  (Read 6806 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Tommy Tommy Peers
« on: October 10, 2021, 12:41:27 AM »

I wonder if he will still get slated as he only scored one and fell over!

He's gonna be here for years! I shan't complain if he stays for some time anyway, as things stand. For me, he remains a useful squad player. Yes, only his first goal of the season, but according to the Alty Files (which I suspect doesn't allow for stoppage time in its calculations) he has played less than 90 minutes in total - so one goal in 84 minutes playing time. Yes there were one or two mistakes, but there were good touches too, and of course a goal - he seems to have a knack of finding good goal-scoring positions, and I have yet to be convinced that he is the liability that seems to be suggested sometimes.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Tommy Peers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:05:58 AM »

I think people forget he's quite young and can improve, I think he knows his role in the team and does it well.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:28:37 AM »

Tom did great yesterday, he's a different type of striker, caused them a few problems when came on. You cannot fault his attitude, work rate etc, very useful player to have in the squad.

Usefully scores a few goals as well.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »

Tom Peers features in glorious full colour in a photograph on the front cover of the Non League Paper.

One to cut out and frame. Indeed, I suspect that HashtagAlty has already got it hung up on a wall at his home...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 01:30:06 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 01:49:48 PM »

Saw the front cover and just bought it for the first time in years  :)

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »

Good match report too which makes a pleasant change.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »

I'd still like to see us try him and Dinanga together, even if only for the last 20 minutes of a game.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »

I'd still like to see us try him and Dinanga together, even if only for the last 20 minutes of a game.

We would be too exposed having two strikers plus you then lose Hancock or Kossy, which for me is not an option.
I think Peers deserves a start.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »

He does a fantastic job when he comes on as a sub but as a starter, not a prayer.

I'd imagine same starting 11 unless Colclough is available, then either Hancock or Kosylo drop out.

Having listened to their managers post match interview they won't be a goal threat!

Yeovil 1-3 Alty (Mooney 2, Dinanga)
Full time and proud of it

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 10:50:57 PM »

I got the Non-League Paper too for the first time for quite a while as there were several copies available at Tesco's in Sale.

We just don't change formation, so I can't see us having two strikers from the start. Unfortunately for Tom Peers, virtually everybody knows he's very effective as an impact substitute so I can't see him starting, for all his merits. Who knows, though, there may be some rotation in  view of the long journey to Yeovil.

Silent but Ledley

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 08:06:48 AM »

There's a song coming on
Tom Peers, Tom Peers
He will be with us for years

Needs expanding, SBL

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:27 AM »

Tom Peers is an impact sub, not a starter. I think we're averaging about 2 goals a game, so it may be that we don't actually need a goalscoring 9 - I don't know anymore. Still think Hanks could do it personally, but hey ho.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »

Tom Peers is an impact sub, not a starter. I think we're averaging about 2 goals a game, so it may be that we don't actually need a goalscoring 9 - I don't know anymore. Still think Hanks could do it personally, but hey ho.

I used to think we did need a goal scoring number nine and we did but it seems to me that our system has changed in that we have a 9 who pulls the opposition defence around making space for the other forwards.
That's fine by me but surely it won't be as effective in the longer term if opponents realise he's not a threat in himself and start marking the wide men more (if they can 😉)
As others have noted, Tom is best used as an impact sub.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »

I think Hanks would be our best option. This allows us then to have Kossy, Colclough and Mooney on the pitch.
Hanks is strong, can keep hold of the ball and has great movement.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »

I think Hanks would be our best option. This allows us then to have Kossy, Colclough and Mooney on the pitch.
Hanks is strong, can keep hold of the ball and has great movement.

I would quite like to see the four of them together, but I think the management team will keep faith in Dinanga for now - if it aint that broke, etc etc.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tommy Tommy Peers