PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Signing
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Signing  (Read 6312 times)

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Signing
« on: October 15, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »

There's news on the club's website...

andrewflynn

Re: Signing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:14:54 AM »

I can only assume he has been offered to us and we have gladly accepted a player of his calibre, rather than us going in search of another midfielder when we have Moult, Pringle and Furman already? Unless one of the latter two are departing, but we've seen no indication of that?

Weird but welcome signing, I guess. Very good player.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »

We've lost Connor Kirby, don't forget. His injury happened after Dean Furman and Ben Pringle were signed, so you could say we were one short, compared to the start of the season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »

Welcome to the club, Danny.
Yes, it does seem like overkill in the midfield area unless of course, as you suggest, there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
Perhaps Furman is becoming unsettled due to his lack of game time and could be on the move? Purely speculation on my part.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

andrewflynn

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »

We've lost Connor Kirby, don't forget. His injury happened after Dean Furman and Ben Pringle were signed, so you could say we were one short, compared to the start of the season.

A good point John, I guess we were coping so well in his absence that I had forgotten about this.

Welcome to the club, Danny.
Yes, it does seem like overkill in the midfield area unless of course, as you suggest, there's something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
Perhaps Furman is becoming unsettled due to his lack of game time and could be on the move? Purely speculation on my part.

It's possible. We have four big fish vying for two places at the moment, but competition has always bred results for us.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »

Yes. Hadn't thought of it that way.
Ignore my previous comments! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »

Welcome to Alty and good luck.

Don't think 4 centre mids is excessive tbh
Full time and proud of it

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »

Parky eluded to more signings in the recent interview after Yeovil, wouldn't be surprised to see another one.

Good Luck to Danny, looks a quality signing.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 12:05:24 PM »

I can only assume he has been offered to us and we have gladly accepted a player of his calibre, rather than us going in search of another midfielder when we have Moult, Pringle and Furman already?

I think the Sorvs connection with his Macc background could well have been a factor.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »

It's a long season ahead and don't forget how badly we dropped off in the second half of last season. The depth of the squad will be of the utmost importance, especially if we get more injuries/suspensions etc.
Come on Alty!

andrewflynn

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 02:30:50 PM »

Welcome to Alty and good luck.

Don't think 4 centre mids is excessive tbh

It wouldn't be if one was a more junior, emerging squad member pushing the old guard. I appreciate we know what we're doing these days and I'm sure it'll all be weighed up, but having four senior, well paid central midfielders (and one out on loan that I presume we're still part-paying) seems overkill to me. It's quite a rotation job to keep them all happy, particularly as one is our captain and a guaranteed starter. I doubt there's room for two on the bench, either.

Again though one could be offskis or not 100% fit for all I know.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »

Is that a tattoo of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra on his neck...?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 05:42:06 PM »

Is that a tattoo of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra on his neck...?

I thought it might be Adele?

PS. Showing your age a bit there Barry! 😉 😂😂
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:13:23 PM by Saughall Robin »

Bath Alty

• Regular First Team
  • Technically now Lechlade Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »

Looks like he scored a few goals so could be competition for Pringle if furman & moult is considered too defensive. With colclough and possibly Mooney out perhaps he also provides competition for Hancock at 10 with kosylo needed out wide

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:52 PM »

One other possibility this opens up is us playing 4-3-3. We used that system towards the end of last season with Moult, Smith and Kirby as the midfield three and I was expecting to see it on occasion this season when we re-signed Kirby. I don’t think Moult, Furman and Pringle would have the legs to play that way but the new lad sounds like a Kirby-type player, so it could be an option now. It would be interesting to see Pringle playing a bit further forward.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Signing