PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Signing
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Signing  (Read 6379 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Signing
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 06:54:17 PM »

Welcome to Alty Danny.

Looking forward to watching you…

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:19 PM »

Also with toby injured jake could end up playing centre back with only sutton as a recognised centre
FFS

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:16 PM »

I can only assume he has been offered to us and we have gladly accepted a player of his calibre, rather than us going in search of another midfielder when we have Moult, Pringle and Furman already?

I think the Sorvs connection with his Macc background could well have been a factor.

John Askey signed him for Macc and for Port Vale also. You’d imagine him and Sorvs are still good mates and likely to trust each other’s judgement.

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »

I see him fulfilling 1 of 2 options (other than just wanting 4 centre mids, of course!)...

Both mentioned above: 1) to cover Moult falling into the back four, 2) to compete for the No10 position.

Good luck to him, I just hope this doesn't push anyone's nose out of joint.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »

Also with toby injured jake could end up playing centre back with only sutton as a recognised centre
What about Hannigan?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19:30 PM »

One other possibility this opens up is us playing 4-3-3. We used that system towards the end of last season with Moult, Smith and Kirby as the midfield three and I was expecting to see it on occasion this season when we re-signed Kirby. I don’t think Moult, Furman and Pringle would have the legs to play that way but the new lad sounds like a Kirby-type player, so it could be an option now. It would be interesting to see Pringle playing a bit further forward.

Whilst I’m not totally convinced by Kirby, he had a very effective game at Torquay and provided something we’ve noticeably missed in his absence. We were set up as we always are but he had those extra legs to go and press further up the field. Sort of when the 3 behind Dinanga are shielding the ball and it’s not going anywhere, he would go and press. Or when Dinanga and Colclough cornered someone he would be next on the scene.

It might have been a factor in Torquay hitting it longer than they’d have liked, rather than building it up a bit. Disrupting them at source basically. Hopefully at least Whitehead will give us that option as you don’t want teams to get too comfy against you.

He seems to have a reasonable record at conference level at least and will know the league well if nothing else.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »

I can only assume he has been offered to us and we have gladly accepted a player of his calibre, rather than us going in search of another midfielder when we have Moult, Pringle and Furman already?

I think the Sorvs connection with his Macc background could well have been a factor.

John Askey signed him for Macc and for Port Vale also. You’d imagine him and Sorvs are still good mates and likely to trust each other’s judgement.

Yes. Very much a trusted signing.
Let's hope it's going to work out well for him AND us!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

NauticaPete

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »

I thought he did well when he came on yesterday. He put himself about straight away, just what was needed in that situation and looked well up for it. He could be invaluable against the more athletic conference teams.
The challenge will however be, as some others have already mentioned, keeping everyone happy.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 10:35:49 AM »

He could be invaluable against the more athletic conference teams..

Best euphemism I've heard in a while! 😉 😂😂

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »

I thought he did well when he came on yesterday. He put himself about straight away, just what was needed in that situation and looked well up for it. He could be invaluable against the more athletic conference teams.
The challenge will however be, as some others have already mentioned, keeping everyone happy.

Agree, but it is more of a team game than ever before. If resting players and slotting others in keeps us up.the top of the table, then players need to recognise that and the decisions made by Perky and Sorvs......the days of Leeds playing all season with 14 players are well over
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Signing