PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

Author Topic: ground safety work  (Read 43753 times)

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ground safety work
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »

An extended pop side and a covered away end plus an upgrade to the toilets and food outlets would be all we'd ever need. The total redevelopment plan is not needed for donkeys years imvho.
totally agree but don't cover the away end gives us the advantage in keeping the noise levels down
ParkINson's red and white army

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2021, 12:59:54 AM »

Maybe I'm being naive, but it reads to me like a complaint from a disgruntled neighbour to the ground.

Sometimes people want to ignore the most obvious answer. And let's face it, the work needs doing.

I think you are being extremely naive, which is ironic given how quick you are to pick up on what you perceive as naivety in others.

Why on earth would a disgruntled neighbour complain about the state of the terracing on the Golf Rd? How would they even know about it? The statement from the board makes it perfectly clear that the complaint came from someone they hoped would have come to them first. That would hardly apply to a disgruntled neighbour.

When have I suggested naivety in others? Genuine question if you think I've been a bit unreasonable in the past, I'm always happy to hold my hand up.

For me, the statement ('wish they'd come to us first') doesn't sound like an insider with an axe to grind - it reads like someone that's turned up to a game and then complained - we all have members within our friend and family circles that are only happy when moaning.

I don't sign up to this 'inside knowledge' either - any visit from a member of the council with two funtional eyes would have identified the ground is a mess.

Re: signed off fine at the start of the season - responding to a complaint means you have to be shown to be doing something, not a routine inspection. Of course the outcome would be different.

Sorry for being the voice of reason and I'll be sad to see that it's an inside job if I am indeed wrong.

Somebody spots something wrong and notifies the council / whomever.

Council confirms safety work needs doing, thus confirming that we Alty fans were in an unacceptable level of danger.

Whomever spotted the defects and started the repair works, I thank you. You did the right thing whether we like it or not.

You may have a p0int, and in hindsight, it is a pity that someone didn't report rubbish built up under the stand at Valley Parade to Bradford council in 1985 (whether they'd have done anything is another matter, but at least they'd have known). The trouble is, people tend not to think there's an issue until something happens, and it's easy enough to imagine what might potentially happen.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:08:17 AM by Hugh »

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2021, 08:41:53 AM »

Maybe I'm being naive, but it reads to me like a complaint from a disgruntled neighbour to the ground.

Sometimes people want to ignore the most obvious answer. And let's face it, the work needs doing.

I think you are being extremely naive, which is ironic given how quick you are to pick up on what you perceive as naivety in others.

Why on earth would a disgruntled neighbour complain about the state of the terracing on the Golf Rd? How would they even know about it? The statement from the board makes it perfectly clear that the complaint came from someone they hoped would have come to them first. That would hardly apply to a disgruntled neighbour.

When have I suggested naivety in others? Genuine question if you think I've been a bit unreasonable in the past, I'm always happy to hold my hand up.

For me, the statement ('wish they'd come to us first') doesn't sound like an insider with an axe to grind - it reads like someone that's turned up to a game and then complained - we all have members within our friend and family circles that are only happy when moaning.

I don't sign up to this 'inside knowledge' either - any visit from a member of the council with two funtional eyes would have identified the ground is a mess.

Re: signed off fine at the start of the season - responding to a complaint means you have to be shown to be doing something, not a routine inspection. Of course the outcome would be different.

Sorry for being the voice of reason and I'll be sad to see that it's an inside job if I am indeed wrong.

Council confirms safety work needs doing, thus confirming that we Alty fans were in an unacceptable level of danger.

Whomever spotted the defects and started the repair works, I thank you. You did the right thing whether we like it or not.

You’re  in danger at every possible time in your life.

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident
Walking down the road? Hit by an asteroid

If you think some wonky walls, loose concrete and non running water to the new fan zone is “totally unacceptable” I’d suggest burying your head under a rock forever

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2021, 09:02:57 AM »

Quote from: blackpoolalty I’d suggest burying your head under a rock forever
[/quote
That's dangerous too! 😊
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

If you think some wonky walls, loose concrete and non running water to the new fan zone is “totally unacceptable” I’d suggest burying your head under a rock forever

Hmm....I wonder if the ground got struck by a massive asteroid, could we get a grant to rebuild it ?

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

Are you a structural engineer? What experience do.you have in the field?

I am quite happy to take my own risks in my personal life. When you're talking about public safety a very different mindset is required.

As for burying my head under a rock, perhaps that's what you have been doing as clearly  the horrors of Valley Parade, Heysel and Hillsborough have passed you by. Don't come back with "it's a totally different scale', we can refer to a collapsed wall at Birmingham City leading to the death of a 15 year old. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt at Caernarfon when a wall collapsed. There will be others I can't recall right now.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »

Hmm....I wonder if the ground got struck by a massive asteroid, could we get a grant to rebuild it ?
Probably not, but at least Cult might be able to see the corner flag from his seat again 🤣

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »

There is only one documented occurrence of a person being hit buy an asteroid (and that wasn't in this country)

Football ground infrastructure may fail if nothing is done to maintain it, potentially to the detriment of supporterslimited to

Cars result in the deaths of 1700 people in the UK each year.

What we are looking at is risk to personal health. What are the hazards that can be seen at the JD Stadium and what is the probability that the hazard will come in to play.

Well I'm guessing the asteroid strike has been discounted because they're not insisting on us all wearing tin helmets.

The car one is an ongoing issue and isn't limited to football supporters. If traffic is seen to represent a health hazard you can expect more yellow lines and 20mph speed limits around the ground in an attempt to manage the situation. If crowds continue to grow I would think this will become inevitable.

That just leaves the ground and specifically the areas populated by supporters. Trying to eliminate all risks is futile but nevertheless where hazards are discovered the likelihood of them causing harm has to be evaluated and mitigation of some sort introduced.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2021, 06:09:18 PM »

There is only one documented occurrence of a person being hit buy an asteroid (and that wasn't in this country)

Football ground infrastructure may fail if nothing is done to maintain it, potentially to the detriment of supporterslimited to

Cars result in the deaths of 1700 people in the UK each year.

What we are looking at is risk to personal health. What are the hazards that can be seen at the JD Stadium and what is the probability that the hazard will come in to play.

Well I'm guessing the asteroid strike has been discounted because they're not insisting on us all wearing tin helmets.

The car one is an ongoing issue and isn't limited to football supporters. If traffic is seen to represent a health hazard you can expect more yellow lines and 20mph speed limits around the ground in an attempt to manage the situation. If crowds continue to grow I would think this will become inevitable.

That just leaves the ground and specifically the areas populated by supporters. Trying to eliminate all risks is futile but nevertheless where hazards are discovered the likelihood of them causing harm has to be evaluated and mitigation of some sort introduced.

Put much better than myself, this is why I'm not ruling out a neighbour unless we're specifically told otherwise - seems more conceivable they'd have asked them to assess the traffic risk and they've ended up coming in, doing a full assessment, and the whole thing has snowballed from there.

Like I said, maybe I'm being naive - I'd rather believe it was a miserable old sod than one of our own.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

That really is a bit of a daft thing to say. Leaving out the third item, which in fairness there would be no control over, the other two chances are mitigated by safety regulations............rather like what is going on here. No one likes it or welcomes it but it certainly isn't petty. Once a risk comes to light, to ignore it is negligent, possibly criminally so. What must be done must be done.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2021, 10:31:33 PM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

I am quite happy to take my own risks in my personal life. When you're talking about public safety a very different mindset is required.

As for burying my head under a rock, perhaps that's what you have been doing as clearly  the horrors of Valley Parade, Heysel and Hillsborough have passed you by. Don't come back with "it's a totally different scale', we can refer to a collapsed wall at Birmingham City leading to the death of a 15 year old. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt at Caernarfon when a wall collapsed. There will be others I can't recall right now.
Cup match at Canal Street a few years back; Alty v Huddersfield in 1990.

Personally I might be more at risk crossing the golf course to get to the ground, but that doesn't mean others won't be at risk. And in any case, if there's rules about it, it's irrelevant what I might feel about it personally, we just have to go along with it, same as with the Barking (mad) and Dagenham business last season. At the end of the day, there's probably been a lot of new people coming to the ground this season, so I suppose there was always a chance something like this would happen.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:43:06 PM by Hugh »

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2021, 07:40:53 AM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

Bet your fun at full-capacity football matches.

Did you write the email? Seem to be the only person happy with the disruption
It's all my fault.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2021, 12:01:53 PM »

At home? Gas explosion
In the car? Car accident

Bet your fun at full-capacity football matches.

Did you write the email? Seem to be the only person happy with the disruption

I've no problem at all with full houses, being 'em on. A full house at Moss Lane is a couple of thousand isn't it? Let's get it back up to where it was.

No I did not write the email.

I am not happy that the club has had this cruddy disruption, loss of income and unexpected outgoings. Previous boards / inspections / whatever went badly wrong, I am happy that this excellent board have taken the correct steps.I

Time to look to the near future when the fixes have been done.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2021, 11:32:24 PM »

I was at the Club tonight and Lawrence gave a fairly candid response to question over the TBC issue, others will give  a better resume than myself, but apparently we've had to rewrite a lot of the procedures, as well as repairs. We basically missed the deadline this week to return the paperwork for assessment. Thus no change in the capacity tomorrow. If all goes well with the review of our procedures and repairs we should be at 50% capacity for next game and full capacity for Xmas games. That's from the horses mouth.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2021, 01:33:56 AM »

I was at the Club tonight and Lawrence gave a fairly candid response to question over the TBC issue, others will give  a better resume than myself, but apparently we've had to rewrite a lot of the procedures, as well as repairs. We basically missed the deadline this week to return the paperwork for assessment. Thus no change in the capacity tomorrow. If all goes well with the review of our procedures and repairs we should be at 50% capacity for next game and full capacity for Xmas games. That's from the horses mouth.

Although nobody currently knows what our 'full capacity' comprises.

I'll be surprised/delighted if we have anywhere near an authorised official capacity of circa 5,000 for the respective home fixtures against Wrexham and County.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ground safety work