PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 He is getting it so wrong
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: He is getting it so wrong  (Read 11950 times)

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: He is getting it so wrong
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »

Very frustrating when it feels like we're not learning from past mistakes. We should have won on Saturday but I tried to be positive as it looked like improvements were being made. Then last night, same old sh*t.

Yes Stockport are a good team but that second goal was inexcusable.

Digie looks like there could be a good player in there but he's too unreliable, his communication seems poor. Too many times you see him trying to head the ball with another player.

The cracks are starting to appear.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »

I thought Digie was okay last night.

He may look a bit "all arms and legs" but he does what you probably want a CB to do at times I.e. heads it and kicks it, not trying to do summat he can't

Overall poor selection, poor tactics.

Players in wrong places being asked to do things they probably can't do.

PP has been very well supported by the Club in the transfer market but too many of his recent acquisitions haven't worked and he remains  for me, far too stubborn in terms of system.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 10:00:43 AM »

I thought Digie was OK too. He managed to make contact with the ball when he wasn't favourite in my eyes.
Leitch-Smith put some effort in albeit with the game already beyond us.

It will be interesting to see the "highlights". Far too much heading and giving the ball away for my liking.

RobskiRobin

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 10:37:06 AM »

Stubborn seems to be a word used quite a lot recently in relation to PP. I get the impression he reads this forum and takes very little onboard of the opinions of the supporters, which by the way, I have zero problem with. The problem I do have is that the opinions expressed on here and around the ground all seem to be one and the same, and that’s play your flipping players in their correct positions in a formation that they’re all understanding of!

My second issue seems to be that his recruitment is based on three things -

1- Played for Nantwich, a la Morgan, Mullarkey
2- Played for him previously - White, Hancock, Hulme, Osborne
3- A miles past his best journeyman - LS, Pringle, Furman

It’s like sentiment plays a massive part in his ability to want to retain players or re-sign players who he already knows. Look how offering EVERYONE new two year deals after promotion.

I might be in a minority here but it feels like PP is stuck in a rut after being here for so long, and he’s just hoping things turn without any real plan.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »

Stubborn seems to be a word used quite a lot recently in relation to PP. I get the impression he reads this forum and takes very little onboard of the opinions of the supporters, which by the way, I have zero problem with. The problem I do have is that the opinions expressed on here and around the ground all seem to be one and the same, and that’s play your flipping players in their correct positions in a formation that they’re all understanding of!

It’s like sentiment plays a massive part in his ability to want to retain players or re-sign players who he already knows. Look how offering EVERYONE new two year deals after promotion.

I might be in a minority here but it feels like PP is stuck in a rut after being here for so long, and he’s just hoping things turn without any real plan.

I shouldn’t think PP come anywhere near this forum. Good times or Bad

Salfordalty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 10:52:37 AM »

Not sure what we were trying to do last night. I couldn't see a plan and once they scored our heads went down and we looked out of ideas.

We are creeping towards a relegation battle here if not already in it. Something has to change very soon.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 10:55:22 AM »

In fairness to Parkinson, most managers will go for former players, especially when things aren't going well. Liam Watson had the same numbers for 10 years, Chester managers relied on certain players.

The recruitment for me isn't the issue, other than Porter, it's that we tinkered too much after covid games.

Go back to our 4 2 3 1, pick Furman or Pringle untill Marriot is back.

Be positive Phil, play our quick passing, front foot game. Stop being scared.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:59:40 AM by HashtagAlty »
It's all my fault.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »

Digie wins everything in the air and this of course is a great asset. When the ball is at his feet however, I close my eyes and pray.

We need a tall centre back who is good on the ball. This is another reason why the decision to stick Toby in midfield was ridiculous.

Collar would never have made such ground for the second goal had we a proper hard defensive midfielder. Jake has been brilliant for us, but he is finding the pace very difficult now.

There must be a proper hard nut out there in the league, who can't get into their squad at the moment and wouldn't mind a month or two in ours.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »

I'm sorry but I'm also in the somewhat negative camp with Digie. For me, I fear 'he was decent' is just any game he won't be making a grave error which he always looks moments away from doing - maybe I'm being harsh.

I haven't taken a look at our record with him in the side, but I doubt it'll make for pleasant reading; "all arms and legs" makes everyone else around him nervous, technically he's not a very good footballer - and at NL level the game has moved beyond simply getting your head and foot in - look at the likes of Steve McNulty, for his portly size he was also decent with the ball at his feet.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »

I'm sorry but I'm also in the somewhat negative camp with Digie. For me, I fear 'he was decent' is just any game he won't be making a grave error which he always looks moments away from doing - maybe I'm being harsh.

I haven't taken a look at our record with him in the side, but I doubt it'll make for pleasant reading; "all arms and legs" makes everyone else around him nervous, technically he's not a very good footballer - and at NL level the game has moved beyond simply getting your head and foot in - look at the likes of Steve McNulty, for his portly size he was also decent with the ball at his feet.

As I've said stats don't lie; Porter co-incided with our poor run, Gould yet to conceed less than 2 a game for us, Digie's open 2.5 games was leaking goals.

I was worried when he couldn't get in at Hereford.

It's all my fault.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:30 AM »

Just to contextualise my comments about Digie being a head it and kick it sort of CB

I know that you need your players to be able to play but there are times when trying to play is the last thing you want them to do.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 12:22:40 PM »

Just to contextualise my comments about Digie being a head it and kick it sort of CB

I know that you need your players to be able to play but there are times when trying to play is the last thing you want them to do.

I take your point, but the 'hoofball" tactic belongs to the 7th tier of the pyramid, and we're in the 5th. Too often the ball will come straight back at us.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 01:25:18 PM »

Just too erratic for me.
Hannigan is a ball winner so you need someone calmer, ball player alongside him.
Toby has all the potential but like most he seems low on confidence.

andrewflynn

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »

I shouldn’t think PP come anywhere near this forum. Good times or Bad

He definitely does.

andrewflynn

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 01:54:47 PM »

Don't agree with this I'm afraid.

Thompson
Senior
Colclough
Kosylo
Hampson
Jones
Smith
Mooney
Hulme
Poole
Durrell
Ceesay

Some of our best additions don't fit your criteria.

Sure there was an influx from his Nantwich squad in 2017/18, but why wouldn't there have been? It worked out pretty well. We added a couple more over time but again, why wouldn't a manager bring in a player he knows, if he thinks he's up to the task? At the end of the day it's gotten us to where we are and for that reason we shouldn't have anything but praise for the approach.

That said, it does seem that we are at a bit of a recruitment crossroads now - but the addition of Marriott is a good indication of what we're probably looking to do long term.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 He is getting it so wrong