PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 competitions we miss out on
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: competitions we miss out on  (Read 5704 times)

thegazelle

« on: July 20, 2007, 12:27:29 AM »

i really think we should be involved in the new cheshire senior very no we are so senior cup

macc crewe stockport tranmere ( did i miss someone) et al    is it a round robin tournie or straight knockout two legs or one?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:07:41 AM by thegazelle »

Ashley Alty

Re: competitions we mis out on
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »

This competition is now no longer worth winning as all the league clubs in Cheshire are competing in their own competition!  The "Senior" clubs are now therefore us and Northwich

What a disgrace!

I think we should get to keep that glorious cup by default that we're the best club in the competition, let's abandon the competition now - it would avoid any fixture backlogand put the cup where it belongs

We could start a petition  ;D

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

The only thing we've really lost is the potential to meet Macc in the final each year. Apart from that I'm actually quite pleased the league teams won't be taking part anymore. Better to have a competition for non-league sides to win than have it won by Stockport's reserves who aren't really arsed about it in the first place.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »

This competition is now no longer worth winning as all the league clubs in Cheshire are competing in their own competition!  The "Senior" clubs are now therefore us and Northwich

What a disgrace!

I disagree. The Cheshire Senior Cup was far better before the league sides came into it. Certainly from the 80s upto 98 ish when  it seemed like a sop to keep Macc involved.

Whilst it was not highest on the list of priorities at least everyone played to win it. Once Crewe and Stockport were involved it became a farce. Obviously if Crewe put out their strongest side they would win it. In effect it was saying, this is now a competition for reserve sides. In the olden days it was at least first team v first team.

The CSC will be better for it I say.

worcester robin

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »

:D is it to be known as  the cheshire not so senior cup now

joe

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »

Have to agree with Ballers. In my opinion the Cheshire Senior Cup was always better with just non league teams in it in. When we played teams like Crewe it was more like a pre season friendly than a competitive cup match.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:46:49 PM »

If its round robin would give us a few matches to give 1 or 2 reserves some experience, especially as they are not in a league.

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »

Great news! The Footlball League dross has gone....one of the greatest cup competitions in the world is restored to its former glory... although one aspect of the CSC will be sadly missed as  its no longer possible to get to the games on Crosville buses.

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:06:55 AM »

dear Hair do

now that made me laugh !!!!!

even as your old nemisis in the gaming world i cant understand why you have such a terrible peake rating please accept agoodwin from me in a selnec type way

i honestly looked at a bus stop sign today bancroft road/ grove lane and was pleased to see it was still 298 /299 territory but a pint for any one who can tell me the local name for that bus stop in the seventies ( by the funeral Parlour)

PS how many people can recall when we treated the cheshire senior cup with complete disdain and still beat macc( i know this got a mention recently but you tell the kids of today this and they wont believe yer)

Graham Bennetts Perm

Re: competitions we miss out on
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »

I'll have a guess at the Morgue.

Thanks for the selnec, but really I could have done with a good peakeing as I am trying to achieve the highest peake to posting ratio possible, and am currently well clear in the UK rankings for this event.

In my experience the most dangerous 1970s bus stop must have been the 108 terminus at the Hare and Hounds, which had its own in situ purpose built skinhead conference facility ie the public loos next to the cricket club.

thegazelle

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »

not as dangerous as the stop outside whgs on princess parkway i once got stabbed with a compass for "raping someone's sister" i was 12 at the time.

bus trivia question still stands and it is well before it was an undertakers so try again

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »

Irene's Steak Sandwich Junction.....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »

I was kung fu kicked in the side of my head at the same Princess Parkway bus stop for having a briefcase!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »

i honestly cant help but think steak sandwich on hearing the name irene she never washed the pan just scrubbed it with salt once in a blue moon but boy were they good.

bored with my bus stop quiz.... the answer was stores corner after the massive coop hypermarket that was on that corner.right opposite bill watkins house (i assume he is long gone)

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »

Are we going back to the old days when the League clubs in Cheshire completed for the Cheshire Bowl, which I think took place during the 1930's. Maybe going back to the old format stops the league clubs being embarrased by part-time clubs. Wot next. Will they ban non-league clubs from the F.A. Cup for the same reason?
They really should be beating teams like us
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team