News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 History of Football on Channel M

Author Topic: History of Football on Channel M  (Read 2320 times)

channelm

« on: July 23, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »

Hi guys

Channel M's brand new series traces the origins of the world's most popular sport in the Greater Manchester region. This six-part series presented by Susan Bookbinder features interviews with some of the biggest names from local clubs down the decades. This week we take a look at Altrincham Football Club! 

Catch The History of Football at 7.30pm this evening on Channel M, available on SKY channel 203, Virgin Media channel 878 and free to air channel 39 UHF  615MHz.

For more information go to www.channelm.co.uk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:40:35 PM by markecky »

Unemployed Coalminer

Re: History of Football on Channel M
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:28:16 PM »

Hi guys

Channel M's brand new series traces the origins of the world's most popular sport in the Greater Manchester region. This six-part series presented by Susan Bookbinder features interviews with some of the biggest names from local clubs down the decades. This week we take a look at Altrincham Football Club! 

Catch The History of Football at 7.30pm this evening on Channel M, available on SKY channel 203, Virgin Media channel 878 and free to air channel 39 UHF  615MHz.

For more information go to www.channelm.co.uk

Thanks for that, any chance we can have some more coverage? Match highlights or even a local nonleague round up would be a weekly show lots of people would watch. I know you focus your nonleague coverage soley on  FC United of Manchester at present,but Im sure the supporters of all the other local nonleague clubs would tune in to such a broadcast.We have exiled supporters groups all over the country and various groups ove seas, who would be glad of such a programme available on the sky platform

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:04:56 PM »

I see alink in the channelM website to FC UNITED so maybe they consider them to be the most important non league team in the area.I know i dont as far as i am concerned they are on a level with some of the teams i used to play against in the Wythenshawe Sunday league back in the early 70s
Harold

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »

It would be interesting if channel M would give us some feed back on here about the subjects raised, they could pull in decent audience figures for a non league football round up, most clubs have cameras at their games now, and if you got the combined average attendances of all the local conference,conf north,unibond clubs in the greater manchester region tuning in, plus exiles,they'd be on to winner, its somthing original,and Im somthing Im sure non-league supporters across the region would support.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »

Correct Hughesy.

The programme itself was fairly interesting I thought but a bit lacking in depth, the subject was good but it seemed like they were just trying to fit in as much as they could about Rochdale (and by proxy Alty) and Wigan in 25 mins or so. Maybe a bit more background, or even old footage would have set the scene better. For example, teh Wigan guy basically tried to tell the whole story of Wigan in a 3 minute talk to the camera which didn't really portray it properly. 'Wigan were the best team in the 70s' Really? Show us something then, I'm no wiser as to whatthey won or what crowds they got in that time for example.

The lad from Rochdale was quite good and said a lot of things about supporting lower league clubs which were true but without resorting to tired cliches, although he did come close when talking about being on the open away end at STockport in frezing mid February etc. The idea itself of how Rochdale felt about us I found quite interesting. I suppose nowadays you think teams will bounce back. In those days going out of the football league must ahve been end of club. I mean, if you have been decreed as unfit for membership then what exactly would change to decide that you should be allowed back in, that's even if you could prove yourself to be the best non league team in the entire country.

Was the Grimsby/Luton story acrophyical...you know a myth? Will we ever know? I think he was a bit mistaken in thinking that because Rochdales chairmen went to some of Man Citys sportsmans dinners that Peter Swales voted for them. I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

All in all, the programme showed just how interesting some lower league stories could be. Take it into the 21st century, Oxford and Kassam,Kingstonian, Enfields struggles, etc.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team