PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty 0-1 Trannmere
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Alty 0-1 Trannmere  (Read 11144 times)

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Alty 0-1 Trannmere
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:07:25 PM »

So, I see we lost tonight.

Had a quick look at the TR site, looked like they had a fairly strong team out. Anyone who went then, how did we play and what was the team?

penfold

Re: Alty 0-1 Trannmere
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:25:43 PM »

couldnt get to the gme 2nyt.
But i would like to know how they played, were there any players which played well an look good for the start of this coming season?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »

GH played a number of regulars, we looked lightweight upfront.

We improved when Potts came on.

Tinson made a few mistakes, probably still on holiday!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »

We were not very good tonight. We played like we did virtually all of last season.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:30:47 PM »

tbh i rekon we held our own against there first team (or as close to it). it was only really one mistake that cost us the goal, other than that considering that the football league season starts a week after we do so tranmere are near enough at the same stage of there preperations we did ok. cavell coo looked like he caused them some problems down the wing and i rekon he will sign for us now and possibly pottsy as well. but in my opinion we wont play many teams this year that are that strong and i rekon we will be ok this year (not saying were going to be pushing for promotion or anything) but i doubt we'll be in the bottom 4 (but then again it's a long way till may, but for now im happy).

p.s. we have to remember that at this stage of pre season GH will be running the players into the ground at training so there going to look tierd in matches.

louise1925

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:11 PM »

I felt we did ok considering we were playng a really strong Tranmere team, much stronger incidentaly than the one which lost to Southport last week. Defensively we looked a good solid unit (Lane especially) and Val and Sedge were combative in midfield. Robbie and Coo struggled out wide against very good full backs and there was absolutely no height or menace up front (Joe was poor). Even when Rod and Senior came on, we caused little threat. Pottsy, bless him, did his best and did make a little difference, at least giving their excellent number 3 something to think about.
At the end of the day, there is so little dividing teams in the lower tiers of English football. If Tranmere's big number 9 and number 3 had been Alty players, we'd be a pretty successful Conference team - it's just finding those players really. A final point. I was expecting to see all the trialists given a decent run out tonight and was disappointed to see Berkeley and Baguely used as token late subs with no Gaysham at all. Can Coo not be given an opportunity to play wide right? As Ballers said, much as we were last year. We still need those two key players.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:23 PM »

i doubt we'll see gaysham again as for baguley i doubt we'll sign him (not because he is a bad player but more that he is similar too sedgmore). but i do hope berkeley signs

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »

I'm sorry....but Cavell Coo is simply not up to the required standard.
So easily knocked off the ball.

As Ballers has commented, tonight's performance was a replica of so many games from last season.
We lacked creativity and any threat down the wings and made very few chances.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:42:13 AM »

I'm sorry....but Cavell Coo is simply not up to the required standard.

Perhaps Coo is the best of what is available, would you prefer we signed nobody and went into the season with 15 men?

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 08:46:35 AM »

A boring game that took us 85 minutes to get a shot on target.

A mistake at back for their goal and a few errors from Tinson, but overall he looked strong.

Very lightweight up from and the signs are there from last season that to be honest we do not know how to create opportunities for ourselves. All we do is play little balls around the box and try to feed someone through which gets intercepted or runs to the keeper.

Coburn - his usual self with some good blocks
Lane - looked solid and composed on the ball
Munroe - played quite well but needs more understanding with Tinson could be a good partnership
Tinson - Ran the back four very well but a couple of slight errors that didnt cost us.
Aspinal - cant control the ball and was weak at left back - not his usual position though.
Lawton - Didnt see much of him, think he drifted in and out of the game.
Owen - Some terrible tackles from him and he deserved to be booked and injured for what he did. but was strong.
Sedgemore - looks class
Cavel Coo is a total waste of time for me. He tries but is NOT good enough. Should have won a penalty.
Little - Ran his heart out but got nowhere, didnt create anything
O'Neill - controlled the ball and then had no one to pass to as no midfield support.

Baguely I think shows some good atributes and likes to shoot. I can see him doing well.
Berkely - did absolutely nothing again and is not what is needed.
Potts - looked lively but alot of his crosses were blocked.
Senior - didnt have time to influence the game.

I am sure I have missed some but that is my summary.

If we dont improve our attacking play and continue this ball over the top for little and O'Neill to run on to I fear much the same as last season but with less goals going against us.

louise1925

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:07:36 AM »

Come on Jenga! Berkely didn't exactly have time to make any significant impact. I like Joe, but he kept giving the ball away. First and foremost we need a tall, powerful sriker who can mix it a bit. Taylor was a handful for them. Then, we need a left footed left back, because there are so many good right wingers in our league. Agree that Baguely and Sedge look too similar - shame really.

Alty365

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »

Cavell Coo has been relentlessly slagged off on here from the word go. From what I've been told by people who have seen most of the friendlies, he is actually not as bad as some people on here would have you believe. I think the crucial thing to remember is that he has been playing on the left all summer and for a right-footed player this is never exactly going to bring the best out of you.

I'm not in a position to speak from first hand experience as I've not seen the lad play, but some people on here are just a little bit quick to start slagging players off sometimes. Karl Munroe anybody?

Just a thought.....

louise1925

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »

Agree. Coo did appear to give the ball away too easily last night, but should surely be given the opportunity to play somewhere on the right for at least part of the TNS game.

baldrick

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »

Tinson made a few mistakes but i think he will be a good signing when he settles in. Joe is my favourite player but he needs to score more goals. If Potts can stay fit he will be one of the best wingers in this division. The team have enough ability to survive again. Just don't let Aspinall take the penalties.

Alty365

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »

With Colin Potts now definitely on board I think we'll start to see more from our strikers. We missed his running and his crosses badly last season. With Senior playing wide left as well we appear to have a lot more pace in the team which is really encouraging.

With regard to the defence, I think once they have gelled a bit more we will see their true worth. We have not exactly had a settled defensive lineup in pre-season and once they get a couple more games under their belt I think we'll see a big improvement.

As far as Coo is concerned, I feel that he got off (quite literally) on the wrong foot by being played at left back. From what I've been told he looked a lot better in midfield and it will be interesting to see how he develops (if indeed he accepts the offer that's been made to him).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty 0-1 Trannmere