PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can't believe it.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Can't believe it.....  (Read 8923 times)

teasybeaver

Re: Can't believe it.....
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »

As it isn't the actual name, the nickname is in the eye of the beholder, hence I think stanny park is better!

Perhaps they could give the croc the required facelift to make it realitic enough to scare off those would-be lovebirds and any other small children attempting to enjoy the facilities. Its a good detterant for potential drowning victims, not that it could put off the gazelle!

Frosty

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 08:37:34 AM »

Mr teasybeaver, I am still in shock.....when I come to work I expect to be able to glance out of my window from time to time and see the hallowed Moss Lane and occasional peak out across STANNY park.

But yesterday I was treated to my usual glorious view of the hallowed turf (which is great) but in addition I was also treated to a festival of filth....FILTH!!

Kids (barely teenagers) covorting!!!!

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »

i disagree you cant just go calling things or people by abstract means there has to be a direct connection. otherwise naming things could become totally anarchic

ie it is agreed a dog is called a dog for a million years and then if a new  generation  came along and start to call it an aardvaark would cause terrible confusion , particularly as dogs dont consider ants as their staple diet and aardvaarks dont rub there lipstick against peoples legs.

if however this stanny  is a poor attempt at nicknaming in a tertiary cockerney rhyming slang type way then i still dont agree.

Old people unite and save our park its stammy and always has been.

Frosty

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »

ok ok, how about we call it the park?

teasybeaver

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 11:03:28 AM »

Dog is a name, and will always remain. Not a nick name. Although I do agree with the potential dietry issues that could arise if rover started chomping ants because we told him he was an aardvark. Potential for a huge mess!!!

We cannot control peoples coloquial terms for places however. So for all we know the disgraceful young randy idiots having it away on the croc may refer to 'the park' as the 'gobbing ground' or some such other terrible name. We will never know.

Each to their own, im sticking with stanny park, its how ive thought of it for years. That is until i was presented with the image of drunken yobs in the pond, i dread to think of the sight of the emerging gazelle!

harv

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

is it still the hunting ground of the infamous SPP.
I hear this particular group was led by a migit who still looks 12 now 16 years on!!!

Frosty

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »

Can i just clarify they were shagging in the old dog fouling area! not on the croc!

And....I have just looked out now and they are there again in the exact same spot shagging!!!!

Sub human scum

oh and harwood I believe the term is vertically challenged!!

harv

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 11:40:27 AM »

and fiendishly challenged as well may i add

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

it cant be called THE park as what would people from melrose park call their park. in fact melrose park is the perfect example of anarchic park naming as when i was a lad it was called halecroft and come to think about it what about the Donkey field thats probably called something else now. nib deans became king georges and gibbons pond (which allegedly was so deep it had a train at the bottom of it) became a tip and then became football pitches. i dont hold with this progress i think we should still get small children to dig coal again.
and i was not a drunken yob when i went swimming in nthe duck pond i was 44 years old for god sake,

i was a halecroft boy myself as stammy park was far to rough for me and mr bottle of stella phil and scottie t's dad

more park memories please

harv

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 12:39:30 PM »

Is navigation Park still called the rec???

alty_fc_senny

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »

Is navigation Park still called the rec???

Yeh its called navvy rec lol

Ashley Alty

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 01:11:27 PM »

Hailing from the other side of the tracks, so to speak, Frieston Park was my local park, but was known as Park Road Park.  Nearly broke my nose walking up the brass slide  :'(  Nearly broke my leg pushing the roundabout with loads of screaming littler kids when my leg got caught underneath and nearly had my eye out on the climbing frame when there was a bit of metal sticking out and I was climbing without watching where I was going!  And there was a big pipe across the brook to get across with some barbed wire on it - happy days  ;D

Is this the sort of stuff you need Gazelle?

Also used to walk up to John Leigh Park and play in the paddling pool which is now a dreaded baseball thing with a big net in it!  Lots of grassy hills to roll down..........

Is Salisbury Field still called that or has that become something else?

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »

excellent park memories good to hear that navvy rec is still navvy rec what was /is ther one opposite the moss trooper called

teasybeaver

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 01:33:43 PM »

Can i just clarify they were shagging in the old dog fouling area! not on the croc!

And....I have just looked out now and they are there again in the exact same spot shagging!!!!

Sub human scum

oh and harwood I believe the term is vertically challenged!!

Shagging?????? lucky little swine, all i ever got on the park was a couple of sticky fingers and a love-bite (what a night).

But why in the dog fouling area? Not that anywhere in stanmy (compromise) park is romantic, but surely the dog fouling area is the Guisely of places to be shagging????

I hope they're using profelactics!!!

I occasionally ventured on to navvy rec but it was rougher than a roofers glove at one point. I always stuck to picky lodge park!

Butty

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »

the hills are really muddy in john leigh because people like me do cross country runnin on it for school and yes, salisbury fields have not changed name (as of about 5 years ago when i played extremely junior football on it)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can't believe it.....