News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Former Macc & Alty Keeper Dies

Author Topic: Former Macc & Alty Keeper Dies  (Read 2119 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »

Does any long-standing Alty supporter remember the "infamous 20-man brawl" incident that is mentioned in this obituary?

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/sport/football/macclesfieldtown/s/231/231143_macclesfield_legend_dies_aged_72.html

26 appearances for The Robins in the Cheshire League during the 1967/68 season.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Former Macc & Alty Keeper Dies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 07:48:41 PM »

Don't think it was this one from the following season but the match was one of my al-time favourites!

What a fantastic night (and an extremely dangerous one) it was to be an Alty fan there!
Below is the match report from the MEN

"TROUBLE AS ALTRINCHAM TRIUMPH
Pandemonium broke out at the Moss Rose ground last night when Altrincham won the second leg of the Northern Premier League Cup final 2-1 beating Macclesfield Town 3-2 on aggregate.
A 'goal' by Brian Fidler after 88 minutes was disallowed and ignited tempers that were already flaring. About 1000 of the 6833 spectators invaded the pitch and surrounded Colin Cartlich, of Hull, the referee. Three minutes elapsed before play could be resumed but when Mr Cartlich blew his whistle for the end of the match it served as a signal for the hooligans to return, irresponsible supporters attacked him and although sheltered by Altrincham's captain Laurie Brown he was butted on the head.
The match went well intil the 39th minute when Brown equalised for Altrincham. Two minutes earlier Roberts had given Macclesfield a deserved lead. Altrincham's reply was the start of the ill-tempers. Walker was injured in a rough tackle and was substituted by Walsh. Worth gave Altrincham their lead in the 68th minute heading home a centre from Morris.
The match was Jackie Swindell's last for Altrincham and will certainly be remembered by him.
And Macclesfield too will remember the night that prevented them from adding to the FA Challenge Trophy, the North West Floodlit League Cup and the Northern Premier League shield already in their boardroom."

Those indeed were the days eh?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

thegazelle

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 03:01:30 AM »

i remember the messiah swindells last game as a home match in about 73 against goole and he scored in a 3-1 win or did i dream that

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »

I can't remember his actual last game but he was tlked out of retiring at the end of that season. He eventually went to Radcliffe and played at Alty for them in an odd goal trophy defeat IIRC

Sorry, I meant Boro but said Accy at first!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:33:04 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »

Jack Swindells last appearance at Moss Lane was for Radcliffe Borough in an FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round tie in 1972.He scored one of the goals.....the second I think....as the visitors went 2-0 up but Alty fought back to win 3-2.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team