News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Donations / money to the club

Author Topic: Donations / money to the club  (Read 2333 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:27:47 AM »

Something got me thinking about the bucket collections the other day, I noticed at a game they had raised £60 or so whereas in the past they had been £90 odd. And I was just wondering what determines people giving money. Now I know that Gary has changed the bucket collections to the club rather than to STAR and Idon't want to dip into that sort of debate but it did make me wonder where people see there money going.

What I'm getting at is, having read the player wage fund thing, is are people more likely to give their money with a set target? When we were £600k in debt or whatever it was the focus was pretty simple. Now I get the impression people would like a better idea, for example would people have donated more money if we (that's a royal we!) had said we're having bucket collections to raise money for a new plasma tv in the bar, or it's specifically for a new toilet block at the golf road, it's for a new kit for Alty juniors etc?

IMO, we have to get bigger regular crowds as we all only have a certain amount we can give however much we'd like to but in the meantime what categories to people fall into. I'm not doing a poll, a thread is far more interesting.

1) I'll give anything as long as it helps the club I'm not bothered, I know we need more money

2) I'll sign up/pay for stuff which gives me a chance of a return, i.e. golden goal, yankee, monthly draw etc

3) Too much trouble, I'll just whack some change in the bucket if it somes near me as it's easier

4) I'll contribute more if it's better for me, i.e if the bar had sky and served food I'd go in there instead of the george for the lunchtime premiership game, snack bars owned by the club would make me more likely to buy food at the game.

5) I'm not sure where the money goes, I'd like a tangible return on it, i.e. being told what is being collected for or what the scheme is going to like a player fund

6) I'm not giving owt!

7) I just want to see us win!

Please note, I'm not having a dig at anyone who doesn't really contribute much beyond admission fee and a programme, I know that that's nearly £15 in itself and it all adds up to be fair cost wise, liekwise, I guess if you genuinely don't feel the need to be contributing in extra ways then that's your prerogative too. I'm just interest in how much of a crossover there is, i.e, are people who would give to a player fund going to be giving an extra pound or so or giving the pound they would've used to buy a golden goal tcket?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Donations / money to the club
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »

Ballers,

I do believe that it would help to attract contributions if the donations had a distinct focus e.g. a transfer fund, that people could monitor rather than just a general plea for extra money.

However, in the light of the events around the STAR meltdown of 2006, just don't start a fund to raise money to buy a machine that washes glasses in the bar!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »

I for one do not put money into the buckets. Mainly because I can not afford but also I do wonder what happens to the money.

Perhaps a target would help people focus which may get more money in there.

If it was say a case of we need £2,000 for some toilets i am sure people would give to that rather than he is my £ which may end up in the sponsors lounge buying them a cup of OXO.

Then how about a BLUE PETER style totaliser somewhere in the ground so that people can see progression?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »

Some great posts below
Ballers I like the idea of a return and hence do the Yankee and the golden goal

For those that are unaware, the Yankee is £1 per week by standing order with chance of winning anything between £500 and £4k (I actually have 2 goes per week to double my chances).
I think there may be a few new supporters out there who are unaware of what the Yankee is.........its a great fundraiser for the club, gives the punter the chance of a big win and I suspect that many people would not miss a quid a week.

I would also chuck more in the buckets if the 'new church roof' idea was adopted (with Blue Peter totaliser !) i.e new

PS Stafford losing and have only 10 men
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

flaggerN

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »

Just as a thought for the toilet block couldn't people buy a brick to help the cause, mind you there could be mortar that suggestion.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:26:25 PM »

Maybe now would be a good time to try to re-energise the Saturday Yankee.I have had two £100 wins already this year & a girl at work won £3,800 less than a couple of years ago!!

Not bad for a £1 a week!!

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »

I don't like those cash jackpot things, i see them as a Tax on hope, or a mugs game.
How about we all wack £100 on alty to loose and donate the winnings to a club, seriously its like free money.

RocketDan

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:44:34 PM »

btw, i usually chuck in about 50p each game, mainly out of guilt. Saying that if everyone at the ground chipped in 50p it would be enough for a big screen LCD, not that we need another.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team