News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Playing against the team you support

Author Topic: Playing against the team you support  (Read 3334 times)

Alty365

« on: September 28, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »

I've just been watching an interview with Jason Koumas regarding Wigan's fixture against Liverpool this weekend, during which he pointed out that he's a Liverpool fan. This got me thinking, if you were a footballer and you came up against Alty how would you feel? Would you be able to put your heart and soul into it? If it was a crucial game like a relegation decider could you fire yourself up to go out and relegate the team you love?

I don't think I could do it!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Playing against the team you support
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:09:57 PM »

Its a hard one.. with being a right back I wouldn't have to worrya bout influencing the game, well apart from the obvious tug on the shirt on Colin Little in the 3rd Minute ...

Just enough for a yellow incase I need to do it again later on :o)

i can safely say I wouldn't celebrate any goal my team mates scored against Alty, just trun round and go backto position for kick off.

Fire myself up .. No chance but I'd make sure I'd take any penalties and hit a house in the Golf Road or Allotments !

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

Would you still blow kisses at hecklers?   ;)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:22:49 PM »

of course I would .... Like to "Wind up" people .. he he

Always enjoy my fav Alty dream which is scoring against Macc at the Golf Road  End but running the length of the pitch (see you can tell its a dream) and just standing in front of the Macc fans in the chequers ending nodding and smiliing cockily and arrogantly ... Might get booked for that though . but be worth it ....

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:47:45 PM »

Some of us old timers will remember Denis Law's reaction when his goal for City relegated United in the early mid 70's. He was clearly devestated and I'm not even sure he played again?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

teasybeaver

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:48:45 PM »

If it was a cup match and I played above Alty then I'd put an effort in but never celebrate. If I was a few leagues below I'd play my socks off in the hope of getting signed for the robins.

I'd never play in the same league as Alty for another club, i'd basically play for Alty for free rather than that. Sending us down wouldn't be that bad because of the obvious reprieve, I just couldn't handle the abuse from the golf road, its a hostile place sometimes.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »

In answer to SW, I think it was Denis Law's last ever kick in English football, although I am sure he represented Scotland in the 1974 World Cup that Summer

The incident is recalled in his excellent autobiography, 'The King'. I think he was clearly upset and substituted. The City captain (Doyle ?) was not impressed and lost the head with him in the dressing rooms afterwards.

If anyone gets chance to read the book, it's a good read. Tells how football was in them days, and it's a real eye opener. If you dislike Manchester United, then don't be put off, it's about the great man and his involvement with football and life after (not just Utd)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »

In answer to SW, I think it was Denis Law's last ever kick in English football, although I am sure he represented Scotland in the 1974 World Cup that Summer

The incident is recalled in his excellent autobiography, 'The King'. I think he was clearly upset and substituted. The City captain (Doyle ?) was not impressed and lost the head with him in the dressing rooms afterwards.

If anyone gets chance to read the book, it's a good read. Tells how football was in them days, and it's a real eye opener. If you dislike Manchester United, then don't be put off, it's about the great man and his involvement with football and life after (not just Utd)
I read Nobby Stiles autobiography not so long ago and that was a good read also.
@AltyDaz

markecky

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:00:34 PM »

I got fat purely to avoid having to ever put myself in that position.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:04 PM »

Apologies Ecky!

Why would getting fat mean you didn' t have to read a footballers autobiography?

Did it work by the way?

If so, I obviously need to get fatter (yes, it is just about possible before you ask) ;D

markecky

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:51:53 PM »

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team