Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It's amazing how many Alty players are mentioned here!!

Author Topic: It's amazing how many Alty players are mentioned here!!  (Read 5686 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »

I came across this on a Crewe website relating to fans stories involving Crewe players.I am certainly a little concerned about Richard Norris.....particularly as he was our emergency physio!!!!!

====================================================================================

Fans Area - Claim to

By Mike Lawson
Date: 9/7/2000

Write Up Memories Why CAFC? Songs Exiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fans Area
Fans Claim to Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add your claim to Fame by filling out the form at the bottom of the page. A Big Thankyou to Wilko for providing most of these claims!

Steve Anthrobus
When Stevie Anthrobus made his debut for the club, I was one of the many who clamoured after big Steve's autograph before the match. As I got there early, I managed to get his autograph and had a fairly long chat with him (although I suppose he should have been warming up) and he was a great bloke. Shame he didn't really set the place on fire. (Chris Thompson January 2001)

1. I went out with Danny Murphy when I was 18
2. Craig Hignett bought me a drink on my 19th birthday
3. Also the best one is that after Wembley against Brentford I had
Fran Tierney, Terry Mcphillips, Jamie Moralee, Brian Launders and a
few of the others back to mine for a party
4. Oops forgot about this one, I also had a party after one of the
Tuesday night matches and Kevin Street, Richard Norris, Ben (ex-aussie youth goalie), and a few others were all their but Streety and Richard
Norris outdid themselves by wearing my little sparkly dresses and
shoes round the house all night and I was awoken in the morning by a
still drunk Streety singing along to the Cocktail Film (Natalie K Sept 00)

Alan Tarbuck
My mum once shared a bus home after a game with Alan Tarbuck and he paid for her bus fare. (Julie Thomas August 2000)

Colin Chesters
In 1981 I bought my first set off golf clubs from an ad in the Crewe Chronicle. The seller was one Colin Chesters, piss-poor frontman for the Mighty Railwaymen at the time. [David Owen, February 2000]

Geoff Crudgington
When I was living in the south-west, I played cricket for Plymouth against Tavistock. The 'Tavy' captain was none other than Geoff Crudgington, the ex-Alex custodian. It has to be said that the old maestro is a bit large these days, but he is a decent cricketer as we found out to our cost. Considering that he's probably suffering chronic backache from his days at the Alex (he did have to pick the ball out of the net a few times!), he spoke very highly of the club. (Pat Griffin, from SDL37)

Wynn Davies
None other than Wynn Davies cleaned my carpets in Bolton back in 1980. In fact, he cleaned them twice - the second occasion they didn't even need doing. He was wonderful (talking football, that is, although the carpets weren't bad either), and he remembered in detail his career at the Alex. It was Phoenix from the Flames time as he leaped in the air to recreate his equalising header at Hartlepool, banging his head on the door frame in the process. (Don Astley, from SDL37)

Paul Edwards
My wife's best friend, Andrea used to go out with Paul 'The Eagle' Edwards. She's now married and runs a pub in deepest, darkest Wales! From memory, he was bloody boring company when we went out as the occasional foursome. [David Owen, February 2000]

Darren Foreman
My claim to fame is that when I was Darren Foreman's girlfriend and I was the same size feet as him (5 1/2), so I used to wear his new boots in for him to stop him getting blisters. That's devotion for you. (Ms R. Morton (maiden name))

Dario Gradi
When I was working at Peter Wilson's (auctioneer sale rooms) in Nantwich, Dario Gradi came in to pick up a table he had bought and I helped him carry it to his car (well, the large purpley-blue-type-thing) and helped him put the table in! (William J Lee)

About ten years ago, I was in Split Ends hairdressers in Mill Street and Dario Gradi was having his hair cut by the bloke who's now the roving mike man and Grrr-esty's friend at the Alex. (Andrew Brown)

Craig Hignett
I got Craig Hignett in trouble with his (then) girlfriend by mentioning to him on a Sunday lunch-time what a cracking night on the lash (at the Cheshire Cat) we'd had with Chris Cutler, Francis Joseph and one or two others. Craig had neglected to mention that he'd lied about his location and supposedly had had a quiet night in front of the telly with us. [David Owen, February 2000]

Colin Little
Roundabout the 12th December 2000, I was pulling off the Alex carpark having just collected my tickets for the C.Palace game and who should swing round the corner talking on his mobile while doing so Colin Little narrowly missing my front end, I wont say what I called him at the time but didnt realise it was him until he got out of his car. (Kelly Lawton December 2000)

"Last season, when I was walking towards the ground, I was almost knocked over by a lunatic driver, guess who the driver was? Colin Little. I am also good friends with Dario Gradi's next-door neighbour, while I was over at my friend's house, I was invited to play football in Dario's back garden. He is a normal guy when you talk to him!" (Steff Cooper)

Colin Little drives past me at the bus stop in Wythenshawe every night. (Plus we saw Gus Wilson carrying a bunch of flowers outside Levenshulme railway station last week.) (Phil Yeomans, again).

A mate from my school is Colin Little's cousin. (Kristian Miles)

Steve Macauley
"At the fateful away match against Brentford (hahahahaha!) at Easter 1997 (when Shaun Smith scored from the half-way line), just before the game started, Steve Macauley gave me an Smarties Easter egg, and patted me on the head, saying 'we're going to win 2-0 today'." And, of course, we did. (Peter Cooper, aged 14)

Mark McCarick
When paying my window-cleaner one Friday, he admired my replica top and asked how long I'd been a fan. Well, I've been a fan since 1982, which meant I'd seen him play - step forward Mark McCarick. Can you remember the crow's nest that Dario had installed on the main stand a while back? ... it apparently caused friction on the pitch as subsequent instructions were all too audible. One such altercation directly led to his departure. For a reasonable fee, I'm sure he'd be delighted to clean your windows - if you don't live too far from Winsford! (Richard Sandland, from SDL37)

Dave McKearney
"My current partner Anna ... used to date former full-back Dave McKearney. She was forced to dump the combative Scouser because of his little-known obsession with the "Herbie" series of films. The crazy Volkswagen beetle had McKearney strangely fascinated." (Dale McDonald)

David Platt
"Back when I was 12 or 13, we used to play football in the yard next to the Scout Hut down Bedford Street whenever we weren't in school. David Platt on his way to or on his way back from training at the Alex sometimes saw us in there and came across and had a kick about with us. This happened on quite a few occasions. In fact, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure he picked that move up where he volleyed the ball past the Begium keeper in the World Cup, from us! (Mark Rutter)

My Mum washed David Platt's windows to raise money for my sister's school. She said all she got was a cup of soup all day... (Daniel Rigden)

For my work experience while I was at school, I worked in the Stores Accounts Department of Rail House. One of the people who I worked with was the then girlfriend, now wife, of David Platt! (Andrew Brown)

Some years ago I was drinking in the Barrel (Crewe hostelry) at dinner time with a fat City supporter mate of mine. In the bar was David Platt with a couple of other Alex players. My mate decided to give Platty the wind up by telling him that he had heard City were interested in him. 'Thats right,' replied Platty, 'They need someone to sweep the terraces and fetch the pies at half time!' An example, I think, of Mr Platt's intelligence. (Andrew Steele)

Mark Rivers
"I woz selling biscuits for Brownies to raise money around my town when I knocked on this door and Mark Foran answered and bought a couple of boxes of biscuits. (Sarah Reeves)

My wife worked at Safeways in Nantwich with Mark Rivers' sister at the time he was signed as a 12-year-old by Dario. Whilst working in a garage in Nantwich in 1989 David Platt came in so natually I got his autograph - for my son! (P Smith)

Years ago my mum bought a car off Mark Rivers' Dad (Julie Thomas)

Ashley Westwood
The man who sold us our car was in a tug of love for Ashley Westwood's girlfriend. (Phil Yeomans)

Gareth Whalley
My wife Alice teaches Gareth Whalley's nephew and one of the other teachers at the school lives next door to Gareth's mum and dad (he used to get very annoyed because Gareth broke one of his fence panels kicking a ball against it). (Phil Yeomans)

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team