PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Overpaid
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Overpaid  (Read 10394 times)

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Overpaid
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 09:42:28 AM »

Gutted last night but it’s probably what the nation and FA needed to sort themselves out and make big changes. Firstly I dont rate Mclaren, he made a big mistake bringing in Carson who completely froze on what was to big a game for him. The pitch didn’t help him though, what the hell are they thinking letting a load of American footballers ruin the pitch before such a big game?  Made me sick seeing all those stripes across Wembley pitch!

The main change to English football has to be a cap on foreign players on the pitch for each team, the rule should be max 5. This will then make all the top flight clubs invest massively in bringing through their own home grown talent instead of shipping them in from everywhere and anywhere.
 If this doesn’t happen I would like to see the premier league f**ked off from the National game and the overpaid pricks left to ponce about in their team colours, the National squad could be picked from the lower leagues who would atleast produce more passion and spirited performances.

Bollocks! >:(

seasonticket

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »

One further point I forgot in previous post, They played like England at the end of Venebles reign as manager and as he is Mac's assistant maybe he had too much input. Heaven forbid they apoint him when they give big Mac the push.

teasybeaver

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »

I think a wage cap would work just as much as a foreigner cap.

Gerrard played well last night but Lampard was absent for most of it. If they both had a salary cap of 40 grand a week being the highest paid player would suddenly mean naff all and they might start to realise that playing for your country and being great is the only way to be recognized worldwide as the best players in the world.

Who does lampard think he is? He has some ridiculous contract at chelsea and expects the world to stand up and accept him as a good player? He's an average Joey Barton at best, he does well for Chelsea because of the support around him. If he's that good he should have ran the show last night, instead he hid, waiting to pull on the golden ticket chelsea shirt again. Shameful!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »

I often think passion is an attribute servery overrated by football fans (at every level) when it comes to the ability of players to win football matches.

Most football matches are won and lost because one team has a better team than the other. Last night England were the inferior team to Croatia.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 10:27:28 AM »

I often think passion is an attribute servery overrated by football fans (at every level) when it comes to the ability of players to win football matches.

Most football matches are won and lost because one team has a better team than the other. Last night England were the inferior team to Croatia.

True, but the only way to significantly improve the English standard it to implement one or both caps on Wages and Foreign players. The gutless FA won’t do either so I would rather watch a team of fighters giving their all than the overpaid tarts that nearly did this and nearly did that. Look at the Northern Ireland fans they have a ball watching their team of limited ability.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »

True, but the only way to significantly improve the English standard it to implement one or both caps on Wages and Foreign players. The gutless FA won’t do either so I would rather watch a team of fighters giving their all than the overpaid tarts that nearly did this and nearly did that. Look at the Northern Ireland fans they have a ball watching their team of limited ability.

Wage caps for individual players are most certainly illegal and I'd expect that any limit on the number of foreigners in a team would count as a restriction against the free movement of labour within the EU.

Mind you the transfer window seems equally suspect on these grounds and that continues to operate.

teasybeaver

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »

I think the FA cup is a good example of passion over ability. If you mix both you get a class side like Arsenal going unbeaten for a season or Man U winning title after title. Passion breads desire. There isn't enough desire in the England camp and so a side like Croatia will roll us over. They had passion and played like a team because of it. It was there in 1990 and 1996, but now I get the impression the players have half an eye on champions league and premiership titles.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »

I think the FA cup is a good example of passion over ability. If you mix both you get a class side like Arsenal going unbeaten for a season or Man U winning title after title. Passion breads desire. There isn't enough desire in the England camp and so a side like Croatia will roll us over. They had passion and played like a team because of it. It was there in 1990 and 1996, but now I get the impression the players have half an eye on champions league and premiership titles.

There may be a lack of passion from England players but for me that's a secondary issue.

The primary issue, and the reason we lost last night, is that the ability of the players we have at our disposal is nowhere near as great as many people seem to believe.

louise1925

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »

Agree totally with Jimmy, which begs the question, how can a country with just 4 million people produce more talented footballers than us?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »

A salary cap is in place in a number of other sports (Rugby League) for example and it works very well with strong penalties imposed on those who break it. The cap in this case is on the total salary budget which enables you to pay 1 player say £90,000 per annum, pay  19 more £500 each per annum and still come in under the £100K cap.

I was at a conference where William Gaillard from FIFA was expounding quotas on overseas players. He said that the legal experts were trying to work out the implications re restraint of trade, free market economies etc. so this does seem like something that the authorities are looking at hopefully.

RocketDan

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 04:36:02 PM »

To be fair, the team that started last night was the england B team.
No owen, rooney, ashley cole, terry, ferdinand, beckham, neville or a real 1st choice keeper in the starting lineup

Make shift defence that had never played together with a young keeper, we need stuart coburn to get in the team. He would have kept a clean sheet for sure.

Inaura

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 05:13:34 PM »

Bring back Sven  ;)

Altyant

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

I was curious as to why Ashley Cole started on the bench?

bighairedmike

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

A few things:

1) Beckhams crosss to crouch yesterday was dropped perfectly onto crouchs' chest and it was only a dodgy first touch that gave himself a fair bit to do.
2) somebody said something about Wayne Bridge shouldnt be in the team. He played well on friday night so it is only natural to give him another run out while he is doing well instead of dropping him after a good performance.
3) The 'cap' on foreign players is, i think, used in Spain.
4) A wage cap would be great if it could be done without being illegal or whatever.
5) England are sh*te and last night just proves that they dont have a God given right to qualify for major tournaments like some people would believe.
6) I think Ashley Cole is coming back from injury but dont hold me to that, just something i heard.
7) Is Andy Johnson injured, Defoe is not good enough for england.
8) That is all
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:51:02 PM by slightly-bighairedmike »

Dougals Dad

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 10:40:38 PM »

I was curious as to why Ashley Cole started on the bench?

McLaren not sure if he was fit enough with no match fitness.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Overpaid