News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shame for the Torquay Chairman

Author Topic: Shame for the Torquay Chairman  (Read 3143 times)

WiganAlty

« on: December 23, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »

"United chairman Alex Rowe is frustrated on personal and public fronts.After the Burton change, Rowe had moved a short holiday and rescheduled an important business meeting to the week beginning January 28. 'This has really mucked me about, but I'm no different to any of our supporters', said Rowe. 'Setanta may be fantastic profile for the Conference, but in terms of the way the fixtures are being moved around it's highly unsatisfactory"

Well then, at least he now knows what it feels like to be jerked around!!  ;)

Unemployed Coalminer

Re: Shame for the Torquay Chairman
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:37:52 AM »

Tail wagging the dog. The Conference should have the guts to say to Setanta, "fine, show our games and pay for the privelige, but don't tell us when we can play them".

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 05:30:33 PM »

Tail wagging the dog. The Conference should have the guts to say to Setanta, "fine, show our games and pay for the privelige, but don't tell us when we can play them".

I think that if the Conference did this then it wouldn't be too long before Setanta were taking them through the finer details of the contract between the two parties.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »

On a personal note, my heart is bleeding for Torquay's chairman ;D

I would just love it if Exeter gave them a jolly good spanking on Boxing Day! :o

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »

I think that if the Conference did this then it wouldn't be too long before Setanta were taking them through the finer details of the contract between the two parties.

and rules say they cannot televise matches at 3pm on a Saturday. The coverage, I still maintain, is still good for the BSP

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »

of course it's in the contract, but how about signing a contract where you keep control and don't let the tv company dictate fixture schedules.

WiganAlty

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »

Unfortunately, as those overpaid prima donnas from the Premiership have discovered, once you sign up with TV, you have sold your soul to them as well - "he who pays the piper plays the tune" as the saying goes. It would be unlikely that the TV companies would let the BS Conference have their cake and eat it by keeping control of the fixtures.

I suppose that teams like Oxford, Torquay etc were rubbing their hands at the start of the deal with the prospect of appearing on TV  quite frequently and getting additional cash for doing so - now that Setanta are going to concentrate on the title race, I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we won't be jerked around by changing games to a Tuesday or Thursday night (although the money would have come in use I guess). The Oxfords and Torquays will probably lose out on the deal - no sympathy there!!

Happy Boxing day from the grumpy old opie-eating git!!  ;)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:31:19 AM »

of course it's in the contract, but how about signing a contract where you keep control and don't let the tv company dictate fixture schedules.

Theoretically your point is well made, but the reality is that Setanta were always going to be the dominant party here....after all they are investing a lot of money into a relatively low level of the game & flexibility of scheduling will have been one of their key criteria.

I think that Wigan Alty's post sums the position up well.

Railway Alty

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »

Unfortunately, as those overpaid prima donnas from the Premiership have discovered, once you sign up with TV, you have sold your soul to them as well - "he who pays the piper plays the tune" as the saying goes. It would be unlikely that the TV companies would let the BS Conference have their cake and eat it by keeping control of the fixtures.

Not Ouite right, apparently Setanta wanted the United Everton game to be played at 8:00pm on monday ! Christmas eve for pitys sake, but give both United and Greater Manchester plod their due , both refused point blank to play it then. Still think its only time till a game is played Christmas eve

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 05:34:12 PM »

Not Ouite right, apparently Setanta wanted the United Everton game to be played at 8:00pm on monday ! Christmas eve for pitys sake, but give both United and Greater Manchester plod their due , both refused point blank to play it then. Still think its only time till a game is played Christmas eve

Or Christmas Day: "Instead of your normal speech, Your Majesty, can you give the half time summary for the Man U v Chelsea game?"
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team