News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 stewarding

Author Topic: stewarding  (Read 3065 times)

johnford c.s

stewarding
« on: January 01, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »

:-[ after the final whistle it kicked off well here is some news to both sets of fans

vics fans  bob robinson you safety officer on interviewing the alleged attack on a supporter by a alti steward this was found to be false the lad stated in front of twelve witnesses that  he fell and as he was falling the steward in question was protecting him from the on rush of fans
please check with the lads uncle the last thing anyone needs is false allegations on any side.

but on a more serious note that a vics steward did punch a young lad from the alti support and drew blood was not very proffessional and this matter is being looked into by myself and vics safety officer this matter i cant say much on but please believe me it will get sorted.

you all know i am as straight forward as they come  so bear with me on this.  thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:54:58 PM by JOHN FORD C.S. »

Stockportalty

Re: stewarding
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »

Just to back up our Chief steward, I witnessed the young man coming to the steward who was accused of grabbing him, acknowledging that he realised he was being helped rather than hurt and shaking hands with him.
As stewards we are there to make sure that everyone can watch the game in safety and then leave the ground safely. We have to work with the fixtures and fittings (or the lack of them) that are in place. Yesterday we were working with the NV stewards and we had to deal with a very small gap between two sets of fans that were hyped up by the the fact that it was a local derby, with rivallry that goes back years, 2 clubs that are both fighting to get out of relegation spots along with the tiredness/hangovers etc. that always goes with a game on New Years day.
We did our best to do the job we were there to do.
A lot of us stewards are parents and I know that 5 of us had our children there, we just had to hope that while we were dealing with the problems our own children were safe, luckily they were, the younger ones were taken out of the way by the St. Johns people.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »

The middle section should have been a sterile area.  Especially after last year.  Simple, no fuss, no one bothered, everyone can see both goals.

To have even less segregation than last time was the kind of baffling thing that can only happen at NVFC.

They should be very glad we have no real hooligans or some of the silly little boys jumping up and down may have got really hurt.

WiganAlty

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

It's not just the lack of Vics stewards, but also the ease with which anyone with the intent to do so could have got onto the playing area (as discussed with the elderly gentleman (whoops - sorry PB!!) stood next to me).

It wouldn't have taken much for anyone to have breached the perimter "fencing" or hoardings should they have wanted to cause trouble either on the pitch or to get to the oppostion fans. I was astounded on my first visit to the Victoria/Marstons/Connet Stadium/Arena as to how this tin-pot ground managed to get an operating certificate given the glaring gaps (pun intended) in the security arrangements.

Add to that the stupidity of Vics not to impose some kind of strerile area between the supporters and their inability to have sufficient stewards of their own on duty, I am amazed that someone from Vale Royal Council and/or Cheshire Constabulary hasn't yet paid the club a visit. Perhaps when they are playing at Wittons ground next season, things will be better  ;)

Daycare Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »

It wouldn't have taken much for anyone to have breached the perimter "fencing" or hoardings should they have wanted to cause trouble either on the pitch or to get to the oppostion fans. I was astounded on my first visit to the Victoria/Marstons/Connet Stadium/Arena as to how this tin-pot ground managed to get an operating certificate given the glaring gaps (pun intended) in the security arrangements.

I think all new grounds have to be built like that for safety; look at most Premiership grounds they are very similar. I think Burton's ground is the same as was Oxfords. Granted did not make the segregation any easier!

Butty

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

but does ML have any of these problems? There is a substantial gap between the fans, and also it is diffcult (enough for hooligans to be stopped) but possible (in the event of an emergancy) to get on to the field.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:03:09 PM »

but does ML have any of these problems? There is a substantial gap between the fans, and also it is diffcult (enough for hooligans to be stopped) but possible (in the event of an emergancy) to get on to the field.
All the above is true, I just think that may be why the Marstons Arena (ha!  ;D ) is built the way it is.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:05:54 PM »

Well, someone mentioned elsewhere there were only 3 stewards with the away fans on Boxing Day. But like you say the away section is cordoned off so no problems.

Whilst I appreciate it's a good idea to get Alty stewards in for this game the set up at Man Utd's reserves ground is a shambles.

No terracing behind the goal meaning everyone has to go in the same stand + no sterile area + not enough home stewards + no barriers (you can barely go to the front without getting on the pitch by accident) = a pain in the arse for all concerned!

If you could afford to give Mike Connett £1000+ yesterday you can afford to widen the sterile area.

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »

there is a rather large metal gated barrier behing the stand.Obviously they expect it to kick off round the back, mainly over the shoddy food.

perhaps they should invest in something more substantial keeping fans at least 5 metres apart, I mean its not like your going to miss the space with those whopping crowds you pull in.

The Teasing Squad

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »

I was well proud of the alty stewards yesterday for their efforts on new years day, lets not forget a day when the rest of us didnt work for free (or next to nothing) with a load of aled up rowdy football fans with nothing but spite in their eyes.

As a result I actually helped them force alty fans back when we went 2-1 up. They deserve nothing but praise in my eyes.

As for the segregation, its quite simple. I took advantage of the very poor segregation by standing next to the fence at the top of the stand and directing banter at the vics fans. It was vicious at times and at one point harvey tickled my chin and I thought it would boil over on to the pitch.

Quite simply if you dont want to be involved in that level of banter you are more sensible than me, and have the option of not standing there. Segregation can be imposed by the fan after all, nobody forced alty and vics fans to stand 5 metres apart, there was plenty of room!

It really wasnt all that bad, to put it in perspective, despite standing there for nearly an hour having it out verbally with them with several others I didnt see any missiles thrown and nobody spat at each other. It was all taken in the way it was meant and we all left feeling we had released our testosterone! (although slightly gutted i didnt get to tickle any green chins!)

Obviously a couple of people went too far, and this I will blame on the VS for being designed with no fan safety in mind.

Big thanks to the alty stewards (and some vics stewards too) for keeping the idiots to a minimum and helping me have a great day out, look forward to doing it again!

Altyant

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

I think all new grounds have to be built like that for safety; look at most Premiership grounds they are very similar. I think Burton's ground is the same as was Oxfords. Granted did not make the segregation any easier!

Yeah the Pirelli is very similar in design, in terms of easy access onto the playing area. However I agree with other comments that if clubs cannot provide adequate stewarding, they should be fined/lose points
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 stewarding