Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..  (Read 7900 times)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »

Although I agree that it makes the top clubs a bit richer but surely for us if its making us richer than the clubs in the conference north its a good thing.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »

I hear/read what you're saying Baldrick and football should be played at 3pm Saturday, (incidentally I hate Utd games being shown in oubs on Saturdays) and that's a slightly different argument. What I'm saying is that we get a reasonable amount of money (see Ecky's post) out of this deal. If Setanta want to show Torquay all the time then fine.

What I can't understand is why they think Oxford and Torquay are attractive. They're less attractive than all the league 2 sides, I'd no more tune into watch them than Crawley or Woking. At least the non league clubs have a novelty factor.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »

Peake, Peake me do,
You know you love to,
For expressing a view,
So please........Peake me do.

Come on Setanta ya good thing.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

What I can't understand is why they think Oxford and Torquay are attractive. They're less attractive than all the league 2 sides, I'd no more tune into watch them than Crawley or Woking. At least the non league clubs have a novelty factor.

I also agree that in an ideal world games should kick-off at 3pm on a Saturday, but we don't live in an ideal world and we are now used to (not necessarily happy with) kick-off times all over the place.

As for the Oxford/Torquay thing, they attract a larger support than the likes of us, they are better known by the general public than the likes of us and they are more successful than the likes of us. I also would be no more inclined to watch them than Crawley or even Droylsden (and I subscribe to Setanta), but the great unwashed (like it or like it not) are more likely to watch Torquay play Aldershot (for example) than Alty vs Crawley (for example).

What I don't understand is why people are surprised by TV companies programming.

As said earlier, the deal was agreed by the league and the clubs....if you feel that it is a bad deal it is they that should be the target of your complaints (not referring to you Ballers).

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:45:48 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »

Just for baldrick.....

All not rosy in the Setanta garden?
(The Mail On Sunday: 13th January 2008)

Setanta need push to reach 2m target

Talk of an ITV Digital-style meltdown seems premature but there is no doubt that the next few months will be crucial for satellite TV company Setanta.

Despite the announcement that they had hit their initial target of a million premium subscribers just before Christmas, rumours abound that Setanta are struggling under the weight of their big-money challenge to Sky.

The City is already being warned that, with consumers feeling the pinch, Sky's own forthcoming results will be disappointing.

If anything, Setanta are more vulnerable to viewers making economies and, although in the next football season they will add England and FA Cup games to their portfolio, it seems inevitable that they will lose customers during the summer because their schedule looks rather bare after failing to pinch Super League rugby from Sky.

Setanta, who have borrowed much of the £800million to fund their football contracts, are said to need two million subscribers to achieve their goal of being in profit by 2009.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »

Just for baldrick.....

All not rosy in the Setanta garden?
(The Mail On Sunday: 13th January 2008)

Setanta need push to reach 2m target

Talk of an ITV Digital-style meltdown seems premature but there is no doubt that the next few months will be crucial for satellite TV company Setanta.

Despite the announcement that they had hit their initial target of a million premium subscribers just before Christmas, rumours abound that Setanta are struggling under the weight of their big-money challenge to Sky.

The City is already being warned that, with consumers feeling the pinch, Sky's own forthcoming results will be disappointing.

If anything, Setanta are more vulnerable to viewers making economies and, although in the next football season they will add England and FA Cup games to their portfolio, it seems inevitable that they will lose customers during the summer because their schedule looks rather bare after failing to pinch Super League rugby from Sky.

Setanta, who have borrowed much of the £800million to fund their football contracts, are said to need two million subscribers to achieve their goal of being in profit by 2009.

I presume this means clubs will not be spending the TV money before receiving it, like the Championship clubs did before Brian Barwick's ITV digital went bust. Or are we going to have the likes of Oxford going into administration.
They really should be beating teams like us

baldrick

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

A lot of those million subscribers get Setanta as part of a package deal. I get all the premium channels including Setanta from Virgin media for no extra cost than the Sky sport/movies deal. I don't think Setanta will ever be a threat to Sky. The Sky coverage is far superior. I was talking about this with a customer today and he made a good point. If non league clubs become dependent on television money we could get to a situation where none of the big clubs want promotion because they can't afford to lose the income.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »

Football on TV is a commercial enterprise and as such nobody should be surprised that a TV company will want to show what they consider the bigger games. They are not a charity. What do you propose? A communist style TV setup? It will not work in a commercial climate.

Now whether you want the cameras there in the first place or not is another matter. I do not think that Setanta are really going to make that much difference to the gulf that already exists between part-time clubs like ourselves and the big boys like Oxford and Torquay. £5000 is going to be of far more value to us than £20000 would be to Oxford anyway....it's all relative. We are going to lose VERY few supporters through the gates on a matchday as the result of a televised game (and certainly nowhere near five grands worth).

If you want to rail at anyone, you should be directing your views towards the governing bodies of football and NOT the TV companies for it is they that have agreed to current contracts as they stand

I totally agree.  Live TV matches on commercial channels have been around for a quarter of a century, with numerous commercial channels around for just less than that.  We live in a market economy, and the "good old days"  of the 60s and 70s that some people pine for have gone for as long as Sky is around and the man who owns Sky owns the papers that tell you who to vote for.

The Setanta deal is great for us, and I think it actually has precious little bearing on the financial gap that alread exists.  In fact, I would agree that it puts us as no real disadvantage against the bigger clubs in real terms.

There is no way the traditional 3pm will disappear at this level - there simply isn't the demand for several games being spread around a weekend as per the Premiership.  As for Thursday night kick offs, it is not much different from Tuesday night (Baldrick, I recall you recently suggesting midweek games being played in the afternoon!)

We cannot kick Setanta out, as we are in a legally bound contract with them. In  any case, I think they have bitten off more than they can chew at this stage - maybe not an ITV Digital, but they will get their fingers burnt eventually methinks.

baldrick

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »

Yes that was me. I suggested 3pm midweek kick offs. People don't want to go out on cold, wet, dark nights. Especially away fans who have to travel hundreds of miles and get home at 1 o'clock in the morning.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »

Yes that was me. I suggested 3pm midweek kick offs. People don't want to go out on cold, wet, dark nights. Especially away fans who have to travel hundreds of miles and get home at 1 o'clock in the morning.
Or 7 in the morning because our wonderful rail service don't do trains to Chester after midnight.
They really should be beating teams like us

baldrick

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 01:51:18 PM »

Public transport is the worst thing i have found since i moved north. The Westhoughton bus service is the worst i have ever seen anywhere in England. Trains regularly break down and there are two different bus companies in Bolton running the same routes with different fares and drivers who only speak Polish. The tram seems ok though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:00:03 PM by baldrick »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty make it onto Setanta at home at last..according to Woking..