Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worst refereeing decisions everfor and against Alty?

Author Topic: Worst refereeing decisions everfor and against Alty?  (Read 23575 times)

Jez

« on: October 25, 2006, 01:10:33 PM »

Against us I'd nominate;

the injury time played to allow Hednesford to relegate us (followed by Mark harris's furios "goal for Hednesford on 96 MINUTES!" announcement.

Stalybridges winner at Bower Fold in the same season that came from a cross when the ball had clearly gone 6 inches over the line.

Shaun Constable's disallowed goal V Spurs for Andy Reid's indiscretion that only the linesman could see when eevn TV slow mo couldn't.

Colin Little being hacked down in the penalty area Vs Droylsden at home in our play off final win year 2-2 home draw and the ref waving play on.

Decisions that went for us we've got a choice too;

John Hughes offside goal V Everton?

Eddie's goal Vs Alfreton in off the advertising hoarding

Eddies hand of God V Droylsden?

Note the penalty at oxford does not qualify for this as it was a good decision.

Any more nominations before Phil the ref gives his final ruling decision on the winners?

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Worst refereeing decisions everfor and against Alty?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »

Against us has to be the failure to award a penalty after the tackle (if it can be called that) that ended  Marcus Hallows' footballing career against Ashton. >:(

teasybeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »

I'm still in shock over the Stalybridge decision, the guy practically ran down the tunnel with the ball! Or maybe im still in shock cos of McGoona's miss from a yard out in front of an open goal just seconds before!

I hate that place!

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:34:37 PM »

OO  OO  Danny McGoona OO OO Danny McGoona  !

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:52:36 PM »

Recent Good decisions (although not incorrect) : Ref abandoning the game against Stafford on New Years day - looked stale on the day and think we would have lost the game. We went on to win the re-arranged game and made the play-offs. Also twice the gate income !

Ref injured vs Cambridge last season. Replacement gave us a lot

Worst recent decisions (added to the others) : Colin Little sent off for headbutting Runcorn's Barry Jones
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Alex

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »

Against us has to be the failure to award a penalty after the tackle (if it can be called that) that ended  Marcus Hallows' footballing career against Ashton. >:(

i have to agree with this it was an awful challenge i don't think he even got booked

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »

It was that late I don't think any of the officals saw it!
Full time and proud of it

Jez

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 11:22:03 AM »

Yes i think Marcus hallows having his career ended for nothing goes straight into the final nominations..as does the Colin Little headbutt.

Any more for any more before we ask Phil the expert to adjudicate?

Incidentally I remember going to see Marcus in hospital, with his leg stapled together he looked at me and groaned "bloody wish i hadn't gone on now...didn't even get a pen did I?"

The Cult of Mick Carmody

Re: Worst refereeing decisions ever for and against Alty?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:17 PM »

Jez,
How could you possibly forget the following display of extraordinary incompetence.....?

Saturday, 13th January 1996
Vauxhall Conference
Altrincham...0  Slough Town...1

An utter buffoon called Gary Shaw from Oldham manages to send four players off for separate incidents, including three from Alty: Barry Butler; Greg Challender and Mark Hughes.

He left the field to a thunderous volley of abuse and booing from the main stand, probably guarded by Phil Taylor and his luminous jacketed associates.

I struggle to recollect a worse exhibition of clueless refereeing!

I hunted down his travel agency shop in Manchester the following Monday and came very close to entering to remonstrate with him!

Jez

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

Have to confess I don't remember that one...but any incident that leads the usually mild mannered cult to confrontation is worth entering.....it sounds like the time Dagenham had 4 sent off?

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 02:49:45 PM »

Indeed Cult I do recall the extraordinary 'performance' of Mr Shaw....I personally had to stand guard outside his room until 6.30pm and then, despite the fact that there was nobody to be seen between Altrincham and Carlisle he wouldn't return to the Car Park without the services of four 'bodyguards' without which he intended to report the Club for failing to guarantee his personal safety.

One of his Assistants missed a family party as I recall due to Mr Shaw and his intransigence and Mr Shaw, strangely enough, didn't appear on the list of Panel Officials the following season.

I subsequently ran a line to him in some random fixture and he remained proud of his performance saying only that he should have sent more off but had done us a favour....bizarre in the extreme

Nuneaton Fan

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »

Has to be the penalty awarded to Alty vs Nuneaton in FA Cup a few years back (boro's looked iffy as well).

Not one Alty player appealed, and even the other striker was moaning  at  the "fouled" striker for not passing.

Not only a terrible decision, he then sent Mickey Love (for only time in his career) off for this non-challenge.

THEN he let Alty take the penalty whilst Nuneatons keeper (who was expert at penalty saves) was 2 yards off line walking backwards to line.

Referee Bratt.............without doubt the worse referee I have seen.

No complaints at the result, but Alty keeper had a nightmare that day :)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team