PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Joe O'Neill Dilemma
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Joe O'Neill Dilemma  (Read 26583 times)

The Cult of John Brady

The Joe O'Neill Dilemma
« on: October 29, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »

Yes, he runs about and displays a fine work ethic.....but can we really afford to carry someone who has contributed a meagre 2 goals from 19 games so far this season in a team that struggles to score at the best of times?

Alex

Re: The Joe O'Neill Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:47:15 AM »

well by that logic we should get rid of every striker we have barring colin little. joe is a good player holds the ball up well and yes runs himself into the ground i think that when he does this with colin little following up it will work a treat. give the man a chance ! ! ! !

100th post ! ! ! ! !

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »

well by that logic we should get rid of every striker we have barring colin little. joe is a good player holds the ball up well and yes runs himself into the ground i think that when he does this with colin little following up it will work a treat. give the man a chance ! ! ! !

100th post ! ! ! ! !

He does not hold the ball up well! He cannot control the ball full stop and manages to fall over at every opportunity. He had a half chance yesterday that any haf decent striker would have at least made contact but as usual he made a powder puff effort and the chance was wasted. We're 17? games in now and if that's not giving someone a chance I don't know what it is.

Oh and congrats on the 100 :)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:59:01 AM »

I can't see who else would be playing other than Joe.

So what would your starting two up front have been yesterday ?

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »

Hopefully GH will havemore options as Colin, Peter and Lee get fit?

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »

I can't see who else would be playing other than Joe.

So what would your starting two up front have been yesterday ?

Alongside Rod, probably Kieran or Pat.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 09:49:17 AM »

Kieran is a poor finisher, I saw him play for Radcliffe a few weeks ago and did not impress then. Pat has plenty of running but needs more games. But saying that I would have started Rod and Pat yesterday.

When all are fit I think the strikers should be Thompson and Little, Tommo really can take a shot!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

Kieran has scored prob no more than 5  goals in his Alty first team career and I can't say that Pat has looked anywhere near ready for starting a game for Altrincham FC.

i was not a Joe O'neil fan but HE DOES hold the ball up and chases everything, but I agree he can not shoot but thats why Rod or a. n . other plays with him.

If we played with two out and out strikers you would complain that there was no one holding up the ball and it kept being defended and coming back at our defence ? Would you say Rod held the ball up yesterday ? I would say not. Seems that a bad performance has been coming and the person that was going to 'get it' was Joe O'neil, ala Gallagher used to.

So you are now crucifying a player on a half chance. ... Brilliant    ???

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 10:55:10 AM »

I agree our attacking options are poor, but I still think that anyone could do just as good, if not a better job, than O'Neil. Just my opinion of course. As Daycare Dan said I would also like to see Little & Thompson up front :)

I did mention in my post on the other thread that the midfield were nowhere. After saying Peyton had a good game against Southport, he was extremely poor yesterday, as was Chalmers. I've never been a fan of Aspinall but as he's top scorer he's doing ok ;)  I may have 'picked on' Joe, but it's been building up over the last few games and seeing him consistently lose the ball yesterday made me completely lose my patience with him.

Of course, if he scores a hat trick next week my opinon may change ;)

Thanks for all the minuses guys - just because we disagree I get a negative. Cheers!  ::)

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »

Nobody can deny that Joe needs to improve with his scoring ratio but as has been said he does hold the ball up very well. Last season we didnt have that as much and we found Colin Little having to go deep which left us short up front on a lot of occaisions. As has also been noted his work rate is fantastic - ok he was poor at rushden yesterday but who wasnt?

Hopefully when Peter Thompson is (finally) fit we will be better up front but at the momment we havnt got many options. To sum up our other forwards bar little who is obviously going to play when fit...

Keiran is simply not good enough for this level and i think the only reason he is still around is because he is paid so little. his scoring record since his debut has been poor.

Rod has been playing well (especially before he went off on international duty) but we dont get 90 minutes from him at the minute.

Hendley when fit has looked good in patches but needs to improve, hopefully with time he will.

McFadden has always looked ok when ive seen him for the reserves but hasnt done it in his appearences for the 1st team.

The Cult of John Brady

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »

Re. Joe O'Neill:

"but I agree he cannot shoot".

Bit of a handicap that for a supposed striker!

As I said before, his commitment cannot be questioned but only 2 goals in 19 league & cup appearnces to date (and some eyewitnesses to his goal at home to Tamworth even cast doubt on whether he had got the final touch!) does not bode well for the remainder of the season.
The most worrying thing is that he just doesn't even look like scoring and his rare shots are generally very tame.

brian rooney

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »

Joe O'Neil is never going to be a 20-goal a season striker, but his major strength is he does hold a ball up well and we seriously lacked that kind of player last season. His major disadvantage at Alty lately, has been his complete and utter lack of support up front - a monkey could work that out! With Colin Little on his way back and Peter Thompson breathing down his neck, he will prove his worth in the long term. It can't help that fans are constantly on his back.
AltyBri

The Cult of Niell Hardy

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 04:11:47 PM »

I don't regard myself as "being on his back" and am certainly aware of his work rate etc.....but I just don't believe that is enough at this level, especially in a team where goals don't exactly flow.

Even when he played alongside Colin Little earlier this season, he never looked threatening as a goalscorer.

It could be five seasons before he hits the 20 goals mark!

markecky

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 04:16:55 PM »

I hereby accuse "The Cult of" of not registering so to advoid being Peaked.

Defend yourself Sir!

I like Joe O'Neill.  I'd like to see the ball into him then laid off to Little to finish with aplomb.  Unfortunately when Little is not there or he is on his own we get the ball into him, then surrounded by three defenders, he loses it, they break and it looks like his fault.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

It's a fair point, I too like Joe but my biggest beef with him is that he's a poor finisher. Rod isn't a bad finisher, puts away clear chances relatively well. Joe on the other hand is poor, I was totally uninterested when he went clean through the other week against Southport, seriously :P coupled with his complete lack of instincts when a ball gets knocked across the box, he's the opposite of a gaol poacher (whatever that is).

On the plus side, he does hold the ball up well, when he has someone with him like Colin. He isn't any good on his own, able to hold it up front indefinately with 4 defenders climbing on him until Lawton gets to him. In the games he was up front with Col they looked a half decent partnership. I'd say in that instance, yes we can cope with his lack of goals, otherwise probably not. But then again if we had better options altogether we'd probably have Andy Bishop or Simon Yeo or something.

The kids are finding out what a tough league this is, Hendley may be the best bet maybe not. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing Peter Thomson fit and getting a run out. I know that his reputation doesn't exactly strike fear into defenders hearts and Southport fans in particular seem to think he's awful but he's a big/huge target man with a decent shot on him. It's a bit dispiriting when we don't have any physical presence up front and I like the idea that if the ball does drop for him then the keeper might have some work to do (see paragraph 1). Just a genuine option up front rather than papering other the cracks with Younglings or Conference Rod would do.

It's been a sh*t weekend hasn't it. i'm going to give everyone some karma.  :-*
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The Joe O'Neill Dilemma