PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 WREXHAM
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WREXHAM  (Read 4079 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
WREXHAM
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »

I went to watch Redhill lose 1-0 at home to Arundel today and met a Wrexham supporter in the bar.
He travels from East Surrey for most of their matches.
Says he is looking forward to playing us next season.
Couldnt fathom out if he is pesimistic that they will definately go down this time and
optimistic that we will stay up !!!!.

baldrick

Re: WREXHAM
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »

I heard a rumour they will refuse to join the BSP and play in the Welsh league instead.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »

Surely not!

That would mean they would never get back in the league ever again.

baldrick

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »

It is probably just a rumour, but i hope it's true. I don't want to sample the delights of Gresford ever again.

thegazelle

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:14:24 AM »

gresford is nice you want to try summerhill or rhosllanercrogg or something like that (ross) or johnstown or the crazy estate near acrefair now theres wild boyo isnt it
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:17:45 AM by thegazelle »

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:41:16 AM »

As I teach in Wrexham, its not as bad as its once poor reputation, mostly there are lots of new houses being taken by people who cant afford to live over the border in cheshire.
As far as the teams concrned I think its inconcievable that thwy would play in the welsh league, the stadium and set up is similar to oxfords.  Collegues who go regularly talk more about the club going bust if they went down.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »

After a drunken away game many years ago i woke up in Gresford on a Sunday morning. I was expecting the pubs to open at 12 noon but after hanging around until 1pm i decided to ask the locals why there was no sign of life. Most of these ignorant sheepshaggers ignored me or crossed the road to avoid me. I finally found someone who nervously agreed to talk to me and when i asked why no pubs were open he said "It's Sunday". Unbelievably the pubs in Gresford don't open on Sundays. The buses don't seem to run either. I had to walk all the way back to Chester. I hope i never have to go there again.

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »

aah i can comprehend your angst towards gresford . we do have seven day all day drinking in wales, in these enlightened time.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:49:09 PM »

Gazelle, times have changed. Do you remember coming with me to Bangor on a bitterly cold Boxing Day in the late 70's ?
We stopped on the way there at my Auntie's local in Deganwy. There were no Pubs open near the ground. On the way back it was well after Chester before we found a Pub that was open. You may not remember as you slept most of the way there, and all the way home, in the back of my car as we collected you to go to the game straight from an all-night bender. Fair play to you - you didnt miss the match, the bitterly cold wind from the Irish sea kept us awake that day (I only recall York and Buxton being colder places).  Alty won 5-4 that day and I think JR got 4 that day.

thegazelle

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »

worryingly there is little / no recollection are you sure it was me
boxing day seams unlikely as we played macc on boxing day late seventies
boxing day 78 was def macc (still got the scars). 79 would have been macc at home  i suppose it could have been early alliance prem as macc were not founder members 80/ 81???
if so i used to work all night xmas night then go on a bender from opening time boxing day so there is a slight chance these were events i missed i assume jed tootill would have been involved who else do you reckon was in nthe car?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »

The Bangor Match in question was on Boxing day 1980, in the second APL season.  After the game, I was in the Bleeding Wolf in Hale until the best part of 1 o'clock in the morning - it then burnt down. 

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »

The Bangor Match in question was on Boxing day 1980, in the second APL season.  After the game, I was in the Bleeding Wolf in Hale until the best part of 1 o'clock in the morning - it then burnt down. 

Didn't we beat Barrow  4-0 at Holker Street the following day as the Bangor game was on a Friday? 9 goals in two days......I doubt that we will ever see anything like that again

Them were't days!!!!

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »

After a drunken away game many years ago i woke up in Gresford on a Sunday morning. I was expecting the pubs to open at 12 noon but after hanging around until 1pm i decided to ask the locals why there was no sign of life. Most of these ignorant sheepshaggers ignored me or crossed the road to avoid me. I finally found someone who nervously agreed to talk to me and when i asked why no pubs were open he said "It's Sunday". Unbelievably the pubs in Gresford don't open on Sundays. The buses don't seem to run either. I had to walk all the way back to Chester. I hope i never have to go there again.
Was this before they invented buses?
They really should be beating teams like us

baldrick

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »

I think they had buses but it was one of those places where they only run every second Wednesday at 11am

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:03:23 PM »

Were you with an old flame?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 WREXHAM