News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee Hendley

Author Topic: Lee Hendley  (Read 10803 times)

Chrissy

Lee Hendley
« on: October 30, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »

Putting my neck out...

Lee Hendley would definately score more goals than Joe O Niel.  Forget holding the ball upo becausae Joe hasn't done that either recently.  19 games in... 2 goals...Lee would have scored more.  Play him and see GH

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Lee Hendley
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:41:54 AM »

Disagree. The ball would keep coming back at us. Not all forward players need to be prolific goal scorers.

Joe O'Neil is the best option and has been performing well. If there was a striker next to him banging the goals in would anyone be complaining ?

his job, as far as I see is to hold up the ball and allow players to get up the field and support. We need a player who can holds up the ball and he does this very well or else its back to the long ball and players running around upfront like headless chickens.

Is O'Neil the new Gallagher ? I bet if he scored 2 in a game someone would say he should have had a hat trick.

From what I have seen of Hendley he is nowhere near a first team start and is defintley a good option to have on the bench and come on for the last 20mins of a game.

I am still very eager to see Thomson put on an Alty shirt and see what he can do.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »

Agree about Joe not being a striker, but an effective hold up man.

If GH were particularly bold attacking wise, how about Joe just behind a front two of Little/Hendley or Little/Thomson? Ball into him, hold up and feed out to strikers who we know (Thomson aside at the moment) can beat a defender and hit the target.

Of course, we then lose someone in midfield which leaves us open. I have a feeling Joe will lose his place to a fully fit Thomson for a few games whilst GH sees who is best to play up with Little.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »

It seems to me that Joe is an effective holding player up front but. important though that job is, you've got to get a few goals per season to hold that place down.
This is probably the reason why York let him go.
He's got plenty of 'motor' in him and I wondered whether he could be the medium term answer as a wide player assuming that Thomson comes in and does a job.
I know he's done this once or twice already (I can't remember the games off hand) but it's another option.

The other major drawbacks to that idea are that it complicates the whether we play Pottsy debate and the Scotty vs Peyton on the left scenario.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »

I agree with the general feeling that Lee is coming in a little premature to this league, he needs to be brought in slowly and I am sure in a year or two he will be pushing for the starting line up.

Joe as I have said before works his socks off and generally holds the ball up well. However we could do with a better goal ratio. I think he needs to be aiming for at least 10/12 a season, if not then I am sure GH will look at alternatives in the longer term.

brianrooney

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »

I like Radcliffe Alty's post above. Joe O'Neil as a holding player behind a front two of Little and Thomson/Hendley/Thornley would be a good option. Given our lack of width at the moment, this would not disrupt the midfield at all. Hussin, Bushell and Lawton could all play - just a thought! Can't see any obvious width with Peyton, Bowler and Pottsy the options.
AltyBri
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lee Hendley