News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lazy Journalism!

Author Topic: Lazy Journalism!  (Read 3696 times)

Narcissist

Lazy Journalism!
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

This is South Devon says "You can NEVER take anything for granted, and Torquay United let lowly Altrincham off the hook on a night of frustration at Plainmoor. Chris Zebroski's 44th minute goal - a rasping shot for his 14th goal of the season - seemed to point Paul Buckle's Gulls towards all three points.But their failure to turn almost non-stop pressure into more goals, plus one mistake in defence, let Altrincham back into the game. The Cheshire side, which played with only one man up front all night, was never going to score from open play. But Mark Ellis' push on substitute Joe O'Neill gave Warren Peyton the chance to score from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute, and he took it. Almost the only thing that debutant goalkeeper Mikkel Andersen had to do all night was pick the ball out of his own net...

The Gulls also rotated the captaincy yet again - loan signing Kaid Mohamed becoming the 13th man to wear the armband this season. Altrincham... made their intentions clear when they lined up with a lone striker, Tom Cahill, and five men in midfield... Referee Andy Halliday didn't help matters by giving 17 fouls in the first 28 minutes, many of them harsh decisions... When Altrincham defender Greg Young [it was actually Ryan Shotton] booted the ball away in a blatant display of time wasting, Mr. Halliday called him over - and then let him off. United's pressure was relentless, with Altrincham intent only on not conceding a goal...United finally broke through in the 44th minute... Zebroski... slammed a right-foot shot from the edge of the area just inside the left-hand post 1-0. Coburn had no chance... Altrincham stuck to their 4-5-1 formation at the start of the second half, so it was clear that they weren't about to throw caution to the wind... And by the 65th minute Buckle was ready to give his attack some fresh legs, Lee Phillips for Mohamed on the right. Phillips also took the armband. Seconds later Altrincham reminded everyone that the game was not over by nearly equalising. Liam King got round the outside on their left, floated a good cross to the far post and Richard Battersby's header deflected off Nicholson's head and behind for a corner... In the 72nd minute, with the ball running out of play for a goal kick, Ellis needlessly pushed O'Neill over and referee Halliday had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Peyton stepped up and drilled the penalty low to Andersen's right hand, while the Dane went the other way... Altrincham were hanging on desperately, but in the 84th minute Ellis' concentration slipped again, allowing O'Neill to get away again on a simple long ball. But Ellis did make amends with a good recovering tackle just when it looked as if the visitors might snatch the lead...All United's pressure was to no avail".

Terrible journalism. They clearly have a list of templates that are filled in after matches. I felt insulted reading that drivel and i've sent them an e-mail letting them know. Its great knowing how much a 1-1 draw has got their back up!!

DoctorD

Re: Lazy Journalism!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

Don't take it to heart! The "Herald Express" together with Exeter's "Express and Echo" have to fill a back page six days a week with an article that will attract casual potential readers to buy the product. Actually the "E&E" has taken to alternating stories about Exeter Chiefs with Exeter City, but there are common themes that run throughout all the coverage. These are:
1. I will score x points/x goals for the Club says Player* (rotate through squad and youth teams to give a different slant on the story)
2. Unlucky to lose player * through niggling injury (often blamed on opposition player)
3. Team falls behind to player* on loan from (name any higher division club) and cite ease with which teams in London/North?East (but never in Devon) can get players on loan.
4. Exciting youth team produce likley to get the nod (currently, I'll give you a clue, its Liam Sercombe for City)
 I hope you get the picture but there are more variations if you want them!
Another contributory factor in both the HE and E&E with midweek games is that they have a very early print deadline as they are both printed in Plymouth, and copy has to be in for an 11 o'clock deadline, so the formulaic journalism that you talk about kicks in.
If you want a more balanced press view on both teams can I recommend "The Western Morning News" where Ross Reid does the Torquay coverage and Stuart James does the Exeter coverage.

Longman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »

That told you!  ;D

Narcissist

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »

Don't take it to heart! The "Herald Express" together with Exeter's "Express and Echo" have to fill a back page six days a week with an article that will attract casual potential readers to buy the product. Actually the "E&E" has taken to alternating stories about Exeter Chiefs with Exeter City, but there are common themes that run throughout all the coverage. These are:
1. I will score x points/x goals for the Club says Player* (rotate through squad and youth teams to give a different slant on the story)
2. Unlucky to lose player * through niggling injury (often blamed on opposition player)
3. Team falls behind to player* on loan from (name any higher division club) and cite ease with which teams in London/North?East (but never in Devon) can get players on loan.
4. Exciting youth team produce likley to get the nod (currently, I'll give you a clue, its Liam Sercombe for City)
 I hope you get the picture but there are more variations if you want them!
Another contributory factor in both the HE and E&E with midweek games is that they have a very early print deadline as they are both printed in Plymouth, and copy has to be in for an 11 o'clock deadline, so the formulaic journalism that you talk about kicks in.
If you want a more balanced press view on both teams can I recommend "The Western Morning News" where Ross Reid does the Torquay coverage and Stuart James does the Exeter coverage.

Nothing was taken personally, just a tad bored at work this morning.

Thanks for the info. Proves my point about lazy journalism!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lazy Journalism!