Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "The worst FA Cup performance at this club in 30 years".

Author Topic: "The worst FA Cup performance at this club in 30 years".  (Read 7312 times)

The Cult of John Hughes

« on: November 02, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »

That was GH's description of last Saturday's surrender at Rushden & Diamonds.

I wasn't at that game, so I can't really comment......but for those who were there, how did it compare to these other FA Cup nightmares?

(1) 1991/92 Winsford United (A) 2-3
Another dismal day during the Stan Allan era of underachievement.

(2) 1998/99 Ashton United (A) 0-2
Keith Russell refuses to play and Bernard Taylor's side collapses in Tameside.

(3) 2000/01 Mossley (H) 0 -3
Mark Ward's team capitulate to a Mossley eleven that included Danny Murphy (and he didn't get injured in this match!). Embarrassing.

(4) 2003/04 Lancaster City (A) 0-2
A wretched display by an Alty side containing such wastes of space as Danny Hooper and Jason Van Blerk.
To make matters worse, Alty reject Tony Sullivan scores and becomes involved in a touchline fracas with GH!

Or....my own personal choice as our FA Cup nadir since 1976:

(5) 1989/90 Tow Law Town (A) 0-2
Abysmal. Cold. Abysmal.

Any thoughts?

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: "The worst FA Cup performance at this club in 30 years".
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »

I still have nightmares about Tow Law, on a windswept hill with horizontal sleet we endured a pitiful display and I was personallly worried about the locals who were supposedly not too freindly (according to some pub landlord in a pub where we stopped for some lunch on the way...like a scene from a hammer horror "you're not going up there are you?"). No trouble transpired, be pretty difficult with the proverbial two men and a dog in artic conditions. As for the game, it really did smack of getting beaten by a Sunday league pub team. Can't imagine R&D was worse than that overall experience.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:30:27 AM »

I thought Tow Law was a Trophy match but of course that was a previous visit and we drew.

But if you want a view on our worst Trophy performance of the last 30 years, well tha's a whole different kettle of fish:

How about

0-1 Pwhelli & District 73/4 -  I just remember their winger was so knackered after about 70 mins that when he got forwards, he couldn't get back and when he was back he couldn't get forward.  ANd how many of the extra fans attracted to Moss Lane by the Blackburn heroics slunk off into the night after this debacle.

1-2 Cheltenham Town 78/9 - basking in the glory of the Spurs games (the following week to Spurs), Trophy holders Alty crash out at home to a club who were bottom of the Southern League West, without an away win all season and who's leading goalscorer Dave Lewis had to go in goals for them because their regular keeper couldn't get the time off work.

1-5 Mossley 79/80 - the greatest Alty team of all time, all conquering APL champions in waiting are outclassed by a team they had strolled past 4-2 in the NPL Shield earlier in the season.

0-2 Blyth 82/83 - did we turn up?  Well, Graham certainly made his presence felt whilst he was still on the pitch!

0-5 Colne Dynamos 89/90 - Move along there, nothing to see.

0-5 Kidderminster 94/95 - Do you know, I think we're on the verge of a great team here.  There's no reason at all wy we can't win the Trophy this season. Oh, erm well we'll concentrate on the league then. Oh, well maybe next season.

0-4 Guislely 95/96 - I'm sorry I started this.  Why can't we talk about great Trophy games instead.  At least it can't get any worse.

0-1 Bishop Auckalnd 96/97 - it just got worse.  Are those horses on the pitch?

0-2 Boston United 98/9 - sort of the end of an era.  As a result of this game our season fell apart - but perhaps, in retrospect it was all for the best.  Maybe not such a calamity looking back from 2006.

2-3 North Ferriby 01/2 - they were supposed to be a great team rising - but they've not risen, have they?  A 2-3 loss to a smaller team always reminds me of Cammell Laird.

But one FA Cup to add perhaps

0-1 Rossendale 71/2 - in the first round proper as well.  A dubious penalty in a game we should have won.

Thouroughly depressed now! 

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:41:53 AM »

It's funny - when you put them all down, I remember them all (and was at most of them myself) but If asked to recall defeats like that off the cuff I couldn't do it.
I suppose that's another requirement of the lifelong Alty fan - to think back to the past and only remember the good (and great) times blocking these results completely from memory!  :o ;D

Pwhelli ... I couldn't even manage a pint after that one!

Colne (With Chalkie White's money) was a very good team on a s**t tip ground, I seem to recall!

Roissendale at Dark Lane ... was that the one which was postponed at first? I remember going there once for a cup game and finding the game off then going to Burnden Park to watch Bolton. It might be my memory playing me tricks but I could swear they were playing Chorley - also in the FA cup (obviously).
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JTH (Cult of Vic Feather)

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »

Ah Pwhelli - a midweek afternoon kick off because of the 3 day week...

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 12:19:17 PM »

Colne, dear god, this just gets worse by the minute. I was working in Preston at the time and brought along four work mates after explaining to them that Altrincham would win the tie, although it may be close. How embarrassed was I? At least Alty are still here to tell the tale. No more to be said. We wear these defeats like battle scars....almost something to be proud of...like the gambler who gets the same amount of pleasure out of telling the tales of terrible losses as he does the tales of great wins. Maybe I'm just babbling now, it is Friday after all. I'll get my coat.....
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »

By the way, isn't it Pwllheli?
(Sorry for the pedantry ;) )
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »

for me the colne defeat was a significant moment it was the most gutless performance i had ever seen by an Alty team and something within me snapped. up till then i would go to everygame it was humanly possible to attend wherever in the country. from themn on it seemed OK to miss a game because i was babysitting or because we had to go shopping which then led to me believing it was ok to go and live in another country and miss whole seasons.

other shocks like  losing at orient and york in the fourth round i could just about stand
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team