PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Can you explain??????????  (Read 15620 times)

markecky

Re: Can you explain??????????
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

Threads like this are a good indicator of why we do what we do and they remind you that you are not alone in your madness.

I should point out that from 1987 to about 2000 we won exactly nothing, that makes people dedication all the more remarkable.

I love Jezza's comments comparing Alty to a woman.

On Saturday night I packed her stuff and put it in the garden.  I've brought it back in now but its still in the hall, in the bin bags,  and she is sleeping in the back bedroom.  We are giving it another go.

Alty365

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »

I first came with my Dad in about 1988 when we played Lincoln City in the FA Cup. I started going regularly in 1990/91 when it was free for kids to get in and never looked back.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

To take up on Gaz, I have been watching Alty over 40 years (43 actually).
I've  told my tale about how I became hooked before so I won't bore you all with it again but suffice to say as a young teeneager (up to 13/14) I used to go to Maine Road and then look for games which were local when City were away as I had a grocers deliver round to do saturday mornings to pay for my hobby.
Even at that early stage, going to Old Trafford never came into the equation (Although I was there vs Everton in 1975).
It's impossible to put my finger on the one thing which makes Alty magic for me - there are so many.
In the early years of supporting them when I had a job, no wife, lived at home, game my mun a few quid a week and had (comparatively) a bit of disposable income, I used to travel all over - mostly on the coach - and had some gret trips out to bizarre places. Ashington, Frickley, Sandbach, Kirkby Town, Ellesmere Port Town, Great Harwood (Even Prestwich Heys to watch the reserves one week in the Manchester League as there was no other game and it was only 3 miles away).
In the old NPL, I never really expected us to win anything - although the ciup runs were fabulous - and it was well over a decade wasn't it between our last CL championship and the APL title.
I was never really worried about relegation - it just couldn't happen no matter how bad we were but the last decade has really put me straight on that score and made me appreciate what success we have had even more.
I'd be truly gutted if we went down this year especially as, it seems to me, that we are just on the cusp (financially and team-wise) of getting a team which can compete and stay in this division comfortably at last.
If we go down, we won't be back for a good few years I don't think and I'd hate to think I'd never see them up here and having a chance for L2 football at some time in my life.
Being an Alty fan - or any football fan - however is about being philosophical, cheering for the team, supporting them through thick and thin, not having a go, appreciating that for the most part, the players and staff want success as much as we do and are doing what they can in the best way they can to achieve it.
Most clubs are like this but at Alty there seem, fortunately, to be fewer of those who don't share that philosophy and thinking about it that's a great reason in iteself to be an Alty fan.
They've given me some irrepraceable cherished memories over the years;
Winning league titles (perhaps the first APL being the pick)
Winning cups too (Although the Leatherhead game was a dream,  the CSC final second leg vs Witton where we overcme a 1-0 first leg deficit to win 3-2 on aggregate in from of, I think, over 8000 at Moss Lane was me favourite)
Going to Wembley 3 times
Whupping lots of League clubs (Sheff Utd me favourite closely followed by the 2 Blackpool games)
but my best moment was Macc 1, Alty 6 and then watching them recieve the CL trophy in front of an almost empty Moss Rose. How could that be topped? That was F**king superb!

Finally, to misquote the late Great Bill Shankly, Supporting Alty isn't the best thing, it's the only thing.
It's not a matter of life and death ... it's much more important than that!

Come on you Supers!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bazbatteria

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

First Match would have been Dover in 1999 when I moved to Hale - The Kevin Ellison era

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »

1st game of the 71-72 season, aged 9, home against Ellesmere Port Town. We won 4-2 and some old boy gave me a chocolate biscuit (dodgy geezer!)

My old man took me, I'd been having a kick about with a mate who suddenly went home because he was going to City with his dad. Feeling aggrieved I went home and asked my dad to take me. Being a red, my old man refused so took me to Alty instead. The rest is history but a close call eh?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

markecky

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

"but my best moment was Macc 1, Alty 6 and then watching them recieve the CL trophy in front of an almost empty Moss Rose. How could that be topped? That was F**king superb!"

I reckon I could have lived off that for about 10 years!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »

"but my best moment was Macc 1, Alty 6 and then watching them recieve the CL trophy in front of an almost empty Moss Rose. How could that be topped? That was F**king superb!"

I reckon I could have lived off that for about 10 years!

Make it about 39 years, Ecky, and that's what I have been doing!  :D

PS: The tight b*****ds didn't even produce a programme that night but I've still got the teamsheet from the game!

PPS: Thinking a little more about it, I'm not sure that they produced a souvenir programme for the title success and I wouldn't buy it! My memory's playing tricks after all those years. Still got the teamsheet though!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

rick28

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »

i  used 2 watch alty in the late 80's  when i was in junior school, we had really good gates and top of the leage team we were flying, loved it, cant remember why i stopped going. a fair few years later i started lookin at alty's results in the paper and when they played eastbourne at stoke i decided to go down, ( bit ashamed, thought i was being a bit of a glory hunter) and loved it. i play football myself on a saturday so the last 3 years ive bin going to as many games as i can, but its gettin to the point where im duckin out most weeks to watch alty anyway, i was down in exeter, an ive just booked my hotel for weymouth, next year i will be watching every game whether it be premier or north, as i am to slow play the game my self

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »

Free tickets from school as well, took a break for a few seasons when I was at uni.  Attended the most games when we were in the unibond and conf north.  Most home games now only a few away due to family.  However really recall the moment I was told that we hadnt gone out of business, and I have read a lot on here recently about ow we should be doing better, I'm just glad that we have a club to follow.
On the odd occasion been to watch Bradford, Huddersfield, Bury, Rochdale and Stoke.  Just not the same, hopefully a moot point but if we were ever to go bust who would you watch?
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

My dad starting taking me down to games as a kid...I'm still not speaking to him for that.  :D

My mum took me down to a game once when I was about 2 or 3 years old in 1981 as dad was away driving a Shearings coach. Possibly if you don't know what I'm like this won't mak eyou laugh but my mum mentioned this at mum and dads anniversary party a while back. She was absolutely f**king startled that I could tell her we beat Trowbridge Town 4-0, that Leo Skeete scored and that we sat on the grass bank!!

I think that's correct, it's what I remember anyway.

My da took me to first Vics ALty game in 1983 with his mate Pete who is a Vics fan from Sale. We won 2-1 Davison pen and Graham Bennett who was my first hero. Just about caught all the good 1986 stuff. SHouldn't every father take his son to Wembley to watch his local team once in their life?

Became a ballboy when Ray Armstrong was going around asking for ballboys (there's a man who has put service into our club). Did it for years after that, spent most tuesday nights in the late 80's getting cup of tea from Keith Daveys snack bar for Jeff Wealands while he did sit ups in the rain whilst we attacked down the other (Golf Road) end. Had a close up view of some great goals, really remember how the ground used to smell, vimto, those sort of Candy bars from the snack bar, those weird balls with little blue umbro patterns on them, the fact that we always seemd to play 'Sweet Little Lies' by Fleetwood Mac on the tannoy.

Just got so many memories, the 1991 title winning season seale dit for most people. Virtually all my mates now, Ecky, Joe, Hughesy etc I've met through ALty but we've done so much following them that I can't remember not knowing them.

Had an awesome season in 94-95 when we hired a minibus and driver to every away game, real bond with those players, Andy Reid, Bomber HArris and co.

Like Ecky, done my share of painting and one thing I'll always remember is climbing into teh ground one night, I think we were going bust the next day, think it was me Exky, Pete and Lem, we just sat in an empty ground talking about everything we'd seen. Sad really I guess, but I always think of that and smile ruefully when some tool goes "yeh, but who do you really support?

Sorry lads, if you know, you know. If you don't, you don't matter.

Sorry for waffling on, the point I was going to make before I got carried away  was the women/relationship thing. With lasses a relationship doesn't just come about, you don't automatically make each other happy. There has to be an 'us' element about it, shared ideals, hopes, dreams, investing together, making your home your own, sacrificing yourself to love so that in time you become one. It takes years of shared experiences and commitment and sacrifice ot make each other happy and even then it's no guarantee....

....Then there is Alty, forget all the above, if our collection of wankers can get that ball into the net once, just once more than some tossbag village outfit that your missus has never heard of that's it. That's it, I'm as high as a kite for about 4 days . No wonder women hate it, or at least my ex did, when they see it and how hyper you are. Don't want to go all luvvie on people but go and watch Fever Pitch, it's uncanny.

Anyway, point being that this is the best club in the entire f**king world by about a million miles. ANd although we're all weirdoes, and lets face it we're all absolutely barmy, I wouldn't swop it for the world. AS some of us said the other week. Let's not kid ourselves that we'll grow up or grow out of it and start doing something more constructive with our lives etc.

:-*

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »

Ballers,

Alty 4  Trowbridge Town 0: Saturday, 5th November 1983.

Oh, and Flynny's a weirdo....but I'm not!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

Its my home town club, simple as that. I love the ground, the team, the fans, the history, the atmosphere.

Of all the things I miss from home, going to Moss Lane is the biggest of them all.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »

My Uncle took me in 1968 so I suppose I have an anniversary upcoming soon.

After that I sort of got hooked. My mates dad took us to Old Trafford once, he loved it and went back, I hated it and didn't!

Strangely never did the ballboy thing but started working as a steward when I was actually only just 17 but hey, it was a way of getting in to the little tea room/bar type thing under the stand that Ernie Fryers brother ran after the match.

I've made loads and loads of friends over the years including amongst the players. I really couldn't see any Premiership players interacting with the fans the same way as the 1986 players did at the Ashley can you.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »

Ballers,

Alty 4  Trowbridge Town 0: Saturday, 5th November 1983.

Oh, and Flynny's a weirdo....but I'm not!

You are, you're as mental as the next one. You'll eb like David birch in twenty years wittering on about how good Tunnaclife was.

What we'd give for a run of gaols like Tunna provided us with around this time of the season in 1993 eh?

louise1925

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »

I got into following Alty rather by default really. I'm from Stretford and as a kid I wanted to be a journalist, so I went to a game with the intention of writing a report for the Messenger. Unfortunately it was a crap 0-0 v Barnet and so, not surprisingly my report didn't get published! The added misfortune of that day was the fact that I became hooked to Alty! Talk about a double whammy! Why did I go back after such a dire game? I don't know. Today, I'm proud to tell people that I follow Alty. For one thing, it's different. Also, with a small club there is a greater sense of belonging - it's great to see the same faces week in week out. There's also the fact that as a club, we live in hope rather than expectation, and hope is just more interesting than expectation. Maybe these are some of the reasons why I went back - I try not to think about it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????