PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Can you explain??????????  (Read 15721 times)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Can you explain??????????
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29:14 AM »

Grew up just over the golf course in Timperley and my first game was right at the end of 87/88, when we beat the Daggers 6-0 (I think) I would have been 7.

I remember that 6-0 drubbing of Dagenham at Moss Lane in May 1988.

I have a feeling that game featured the debut goal for Alty of a certain Nicky Daws.
Flynny, help me out!

Dagenham had endured a wretched campaign and possibly our fourth goal was the hundredth league goal that they had conceded that season.

Its arrival was marked by a certain Scotsman in the main stand shouting "One Hundredddd!" in his best Tony Green from Bullseye voice.

(Why can I recall bizarre events like this from two decades ago and yet struggle to remember what I did yesterday? That's what watching Alty does to you.....).

I think that you are right that Nicky Daws scored his first Alty goal in that game, however I can't be 100% certain.

V. of D's "One Hundred!!!!!!" was indeed the memorable archive moment from that game!As long as he is heckling someone he is happy!!! ;)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »

My Dad was evacuated from Trafford Park to his mothers family in Byrom Street during the war, he stopped watching Man U and started going to Alty with his Uncle Albert (who lived in Brown Street) who had followed Alty from a boy.  When I was 4, he started taking me (Cheshire League champions), although I still remember with foot stamping annoyance him not letting me go to a home match against Wigan the saturday before Christmas 1968 (we lost 3-0) or the FA Cup match against Crewe.  I went to live in New Zealand for 3 years in 1969, and came back to discover Jackie Swindells was gone!!  We arrived back at the end of the 71-72 season and I saw one match - a 5-2 home victory against Lancaster City - and my endearing memory of that game is a slim skillful boy in the Alty midfield who would frequently get booted up in the air.  And every time this happened, the popular side grumbled "Bloody Hell Heathcote".  I saw my first away match at the beginning of the 72-3 season, a midweek trek to Ellesmere Port: a 2-2 draw.  I saw 29 matches that season and a similar number in 73-4.  And shamefully only a handful of matches in 74-5 (all the FA Cup matches though!) and only one in 75-6.  I came back into the fold in 76-7 for the 1-0 FA Cup win over Grantham, went to Rotherham and was hooked despite the 0-5 drubbing.  I saw every match after that with the exception of a couple at the end of the season where there was no coach.  Over the next few years you couldn't keep me away, missing about 6 matches over the next three seasons (a 5-1 defeat at Gateshaead and a 6-1 win at Barrow stick in the memory as games missed).  Left school early to go to White Hart Lane and couldn't believe it when Jeff equalised.

Went to University in London in 1980 but still saw 44 matches in ithe 80-81 season.  In 81-82, I slept under a railway bridge after hitching to Worcester from London for a Friday night game (we lost 3-4) and then hitching down to Trowbridge for the Saturday match (won 2-0).

Continued in a similar vein until 86-87 season when I got engaged, and bought a house in Kent.  Domestication took over and the nearest I got to a game was almost going to Maidstone for JJ's last match in charge - the 2-7 defeat.  Moved to Paris in 1990 - our last game before I left was the 1-2 in the FA Cup at Huddersfield.  Came back for the weekend of the home defeat to Wycombe: so whilst I remained out of the country Alty were undefeated - it's all my fault!

Moved back to the UK in 92, and got back on the bandwagon in 1994 with a trip to Slough for a 2-0 win as Kingy took over - and I've seen us every season since, including 15 matches in both the last NPL season and in the Conference North, I was working in Nottingham and it was only a 160 mile round trip for a midweek game!  I've changed jobs since and therefore find it more difficult - my ony game this season (so far!) was at home to Burton Albion.

I've started taking my kids whenever I can - and I guess if they were asked which team they support they'd say Alty - and my elder son continues the Bath Alty theme by being the only Alty fan at John Hampden Grammar School in Wycombe!

joe

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »

For someone with such a bad memory i can recall the 6 0 drubbing of Dagenham and can confirm that a very young Nicky Daws,perm and all did score his first Alty goal that day. Also remember Ian Johnson scoring for some reason!

Alty366

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »

Went to see them bring back the FA Trophy on my Grifter (I'm on the video!) at Moss Lane in 1986.  Then my school (Stamford Park) got some free tickets after a tour of the dressing rooms.  I can still remember running down the tunnel and being amazed. 

Went with the tickets in 86-87, then went and paid from 87-88 onwards.  About 1989 they were looking for people to help tidy the ground, I went down and ended up spending my whole six weeks hols there doing painting and stuff.  I had more on me than on the pillars.  The club gave me a season ticket and I was hooked. Went Northwich away for a couple of seasons, then my first proper away game to Wycombe on the train in 1990.

From Slough away in 1991 to Harrogate away 2004 I never missed a game home or away in any competition. I am very proud of that.  Then family came along and priorites had to change (not without a fight but thats another story).  Now attend 99% of home games and as many aways as money, family and work will alllow.

In between that I helped setup the supporters association, been a director, commercial manager, pa announcer, gateman, steward (once), coach organiser, forked the pitch, painted the ground five times, and been supporters team manager.

Never let it be said that the kids tickets and schools stuff are not important.

is that all?

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »

I've just read this whole thread and it's certainly been a good read, very interesting.

As an outsider whose path has crossed with you only for a few seasons now in the league I think you have something really good going on at Altrincham. You make people feel welcome, both home and away fans, you don't have any idiots to spoil peoples' enjoyment of the game, you've got a decent ground where you can actually see what's happening on the pitch, you charge sensible money to get in, you've got a good matchday programme, you've got approachable directors and club officials who care about the club and will happily stand and chat to people and listen to their views, and all in all it's the best away day in my opinion in the Conference.

I suppose to a lot of you, you have stopped even noticing all of those things because it's your club and it becomes the norm. But as a visiting supporter I cannot fail to be impressed with your club and, for a change this season, you've done the business against us on the pitch too.

I think I speak for a lot of people at other clubs in the Conference when I say that I hope to be visiting Moss Lane again next year and welcoming your supporters here in York for another noisy, boozy and boisterous evening!

Altyant

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »

I got into watching the Alty round about the early 90's through my grandad. He used to follow Alty as he was born and lived on Byrom Street and used to cycle from Ashley to every home game in the 60's.

He used to take me to as many games at home as possible and I remember seeing Martin O'Neils (I think) Wycombe at Alty. I continued to come to Moss Lane until A-Level and uni studies forced me to get a part time job. I missed a lot of the promotion season due to ill health and got my first season ticket the following season. Since then I get to the majority of home games and as many away games as health etc wil let me get to.

One for the people on here who have better memories then I have, one of the first games that I remember was a pre-season friendly against Stirling (Albion?). Can anyone remember what year that was?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

I got into watching the Alty round about the early 90's through my grandad. He used to follow Alty as he was born and lived on Byrom Street and used to cycle from Ashley to every home game in the 60's.

He used to take me to as many games at home as possible and I remember seeing Martin O'Neils (I think) Wycombe at Alty. I continued to come to Moss Lane until A-Level and uni studies forced me to get a part time job. I missed a lot of the promotion season due to ill health and got my first season ticket the following season. Since then I get to the majority of home games and as many away games as health etc wil let me get to.

One for the people on here who have better memories then I have, one of the first games that I remember was a pre-season friendly against Stirling (Albion?). Can anyone remember what year that was?

August 1991....the 3rd I think.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »

I wasn't there but that was a rather momentous friendly was it not?

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »

My first game was last home game of 93-94 season. Was only 7 at the time, so me dad took me to see if I could last 2 hours at a football match not causing havoc. So a 0-0 draw against Halifax was perfect way of testing it!!!

It was only during the Unibond title season that I attended regulary,and started going away in about 2000.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 10:59:21 PM »

to see if I could last 2 hours at a football match not causing havoc. So a 0-0 draw against Halifax was perfect way of testing it!!!

If that is the Halifax game I am thinking of then you causing havoc would've been the last thing on stewards minds or anyone else's.

Sheesh!  :o

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 11:02:21 PM »

Andy Armour & Ecky leading the sit down protest at John King's resignation.I was on holiday in Looe in Cornwall reading the Sunday paper on the beach when I read the following sentence tucked away in an article on the general happenings the day before in the lower leagues.

"John King, who almost led Altrincham into the Football League in May,resigned before yesterday's pre-season friendly with Stirling Albion".

I know how Roy Scheider felt in Jaws now!!! :o

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

letsbyavenue  my first game was also colwyn bay in 99, but didnt really watch a game again until maybe 2001 in the unibond. Don't know why but i kept coming and still do. ( I chucked in a season ticket at man united to watch alty and havent once regretted it)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 12:41:21 AM »

Andy Armour & Ecky leading the sit down protest at John King's resignation.I was on holiday in Looe in Cornwall reading the Sunday paper on the beach when I read the following sentence tucked away in an article on the general happenings the day before in the lower leagues.

"John King, who almost led Altrincham into the Football League in May,resigned before yesterday's pre-season friendly with Stirling Albion".

I know how Roy Scheider felt in Jaws now!!! :o

Ah, that infamous friendly against Stirling Albion!

A friend arrived at the game just after half-time and nonchalantly asked me: "Has anything happened then?"

He was rather startled when I replied: "Yes, we are 3-0 up; Kingy has resigned and there's been a sit-down protest on the pitch during half-time."
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jacko

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2008, 03:07:34 AM »

i'm actually quite proud of this thread, i reckon everyones story is good on here :)

VofD

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 04:43:10 AM »

I moved from London to Altrincham in October 83 and watched Alty a few times in 1984 if I had nothing better to do. In 1985 I started going more often but my weekend was never ruined if they lost.Then in 1986 my wife talked me into going to Birmingham for the FA Cup 3rd round tie ( I wasn't too bothered about going as I thought they would get thrashed.) Well that was it. I went to York in the 4th round and I was completely hooked, and have been ever since.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????