PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Can you explain??????????  (Read 15627 times)

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Can you explain??????????
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »

My Grandad took me to my first game in about 1971/2 aged 3 and that was that. Not sure of my earliest memory as they all tend to fade into each other, but it's probably the FA Trophy semi at Runcorn in 1978.

Helped found SAFE in 1995, moved to London in 1996 just in time for our relegation season, moved back to WA15 in 2003 and got back into owning a season ticket.

Founded London Alty with JTH and Rocky during a trip to Gainsborough in 1997/98 and our local away games were Frickley, Worksop and Gainsborough. Not like the glory days that today's London Alty enjoy with trips to the likes of Grays and Crawley!
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Longman

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »

My Dad used to take me to Alty every now and again throughout my early teenage years, think my first game was Northwich around 93?  Also remember watching us at home to Dover around the same time and they literally had a man and his dog on the away terrace! 

Basically then stopped going when I went to uni and I started to play on a Saturday every week, lost touch a little bit with what was going on for a few years, although I always used to look for the score in the paper.  Anyway due to having a bad back I stopped playing Saturday football this season and that has resulted in me going down to watch Alty, alot of the time on my own!  However my mate who I started bringing along has now started to come more regularly and has stopped going to watch United as he has fallen in love with the Robins!

One quite nostalgic / sad memory is when me and a friend were stood behind the away goal against Northwich when we were about 13 and being mouthy little teenagers my mate threw a snowball at Dean Greygoose (I think it was).  Anyway the steward came over and threatened to kick my firend out etc, he is now sadly no longer with us, but for some reason it's one of the abiding memories I have of him.

I absolutely love following Altrincham and feel a genuine affinity to the players and fellow fans.  I would rather stand in the pop side on a freezing cold Tuesday night than sit in some soul - less 80,000 all seater stadium watching millionares round around diving any day of the week!

Altyant

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »

I wasn't there but that was a rather momentous friendly was it not?

Andy Armour & Ecky leading the sit down protest at John King's resignation.I was on holiday in Looe in Cornwall reading the Sunday paper on the beach when I read the following sentence tucked away in an article on the general happenings the day before in the lower leagues.

"John King, who almost led Altrincham into the Football League in May,resigned before yesterday's pre-season friendly with Stirling Albion".

I know how Roy Scheider felt in Jaws now!!! :o

Cheers Flynny I remember the sit down protest, but being only 10 at the time, I didnt know what it was about though!!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »

I moved from London to Altrincham in October 83 and watched Alty a few times in 1984 if I had nothing better to do. In 1985 I started going more often but my weekend was never ruined if they lost.Then in 1986 my wife talked me into going to Birmingham for the FA Cup 3rd round tie ( I wasn't too bothered about going as I thought they would get thrashed.) Well that was it. I went to York in the 4th round and I was completely hooked, and have been ever since.

Please let me have your wife's number as I need a word!!! ;)

VofD

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »

I moved from London to Altrincham in October 83 and watched Alty a few times in 1984 if I had nothing better to do. In 1985 I started going more often but my weekend was never ruined if they lost.Then in 1986 my wife talked me into going to Birmingham for the FA Cup 3rd round tie ( I wasn't too bothered about going as I thought they would get thrashed.) Well that was it. I went to York in the 4th round and I was completely hooked, and have been ever since.

VATICAN    2136547 (ask for Sister W.)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 10:13:33 PM »

VATICAN    2136547 (ask for Sister W.)

A good place to repent for previous ungodly acts!!!

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »

Paddy Pheonix, Ernie Taylor were some of the players I remember early 60's , my brother use to take me to watch Alty on a saturday and the White and Swales on a sunday (i think in the manchester amateur ) and if I remember correctly they wore the same kit/?

Being from Rigby Street we were a cock stride away and many a saturday afternoon spent watching Alty win draw lose whatever! And then all of a sudden we were the best non league team in the country beating everyone we had players like Albert Quixall coming down and then the likes of Johnny Worth, Neil Dewar, Jimmy Brown,Clive Colbridge and the great real and only real Alty legend Jack Swindells (and we still don't have anything named after him I think that guy did as much for Altrincham football club as White & Swales?).

I think the game that clinched me as a regular was our 3-2 FA Cup replay against Bangor at Alty before we got floodlights it was as most replays were a midweek early kick off. I think Felix Reilly was skipper and scorer? (historians help).
Following year it was Home and away on Altrincham coachways (my schoolmate got us free tickets) Witton, Macc, Wrexham, Wigan, Stockport, Northwich, Runcorn (good team) Buxton, Sankey and so on.
Good Thread!

Reading all these posts just re-iterates that we really need to stay in this league -it is where I believe we belong!  but we need to deserve it, it is not a devine right.

Do we need another White & Swales? What did they do that made it happen ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »

Brian,

Be fair, if you were VofD's wife, wouldn't you try to talk him into going to Birmingham at every opportunity?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

Grew up as a child  in the area behind the Hare & Hounds - spent my youth in the Hare & Hounds/Moss Hotel !!!.
First went to Moss Lane when I was 6 in 1963 with 2 of my mates Tony Cooper and Richard Barker who were a bit older than me, for a 3-3 draw with Mossley. Johnny Mitten was our star striker in those days and the Moss Lane pitch looked like Southport Beach. Then my Dad took me to Alty matches to get us away from the house so my Mam could sleep as she was a nursing sister on nights at Wythenshawe Hospital. The Golf Road was uncovered in those days and we had a great Goalkeeper called Mick Smyth before he went back to Dublin and went on to play for the Republic of Ireland. I remember lots of banners in those days - and supported on poles. The Jackie Swindells era was our most romantic. First away match was during the Jackie Swindells era - a 4-1 thrashing of Vics after we were 1-0 down at half time. The 70's and early 80's were our most successful with annual love affairs with the FA Cup. The day after we lost 6-1 at Burnley I went to live in South Africa and stayed there for 23 years keeping in touch with Alty via the Pink/Exiles newsletter before the advent of the internet. Once travelled from Joburg to watch us beat Blackpool in the FA Cup. Spent a short time  in London during our great FA Cup run in 1986 and went to Blackpool again, Birmingham and York. Came back to live in Redhill 3 years ago and have been to most Alty games in the South over the last 3 years and now bring my 5 year old son with me who I am already brainwashing into supporting Alty. Just hope we stay up and have games to take Robbie to next season. No matter where I have lived am still Alty through and through.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

Paddy Pheonix, Ernie Taylor were some of the players I remember early 60's , my brother use to take me to watch Alty on a saturday and the White and Swales on a sunday (i think in the manchester amateur ) and if I remember correctly they wore the same kit/?

Being from Rigby Street we were a cock stride away and many a saturday afternoon spent watching Alty win draw lose whatever! And then all of a sudden we were the best non league team in the country beating everyone we had players like Albert Quixall coming down and then the likes of Johnny Worth, Neil Dewar, Jimmy Brown,Clive Colbridge and the great real and only real Alty legend Jack Swindells (and we still don't have anything named after him I think that guy did as much for Altrincham football club as White & Swales?).

I think the game that clinched me as a regular was our 3-2 FA Cup replay against Bangor at Alty before we got floodlights it was as most replays were a midweek early kick off. I think Felix Reilly was skipper and scorer? (historians help).Following year it was Home and away on Altrincham coachways (my schoolmate got us free tickets) Witton, Macc, Wrexham, Wigan, Stockport, Northwich, Runcorn (good team) Buxton, Sankey and so on.
Good Thread!

Reading all these posts just re-iterates that we really need to stay in this league -it is where I believe we belong!  but we need to deserve it, it is not a devine right.

Do we need another White & Swales? What did they do that made it happen ?

From the programme in my archives:

Wednesday, 20th October 1965

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay

Kick-off: 3.00pm

Altrincham 3
Pat Connolly; Felix Reilly (2)

Bangor City 2
Tony Coleman (2) (I presume that this is the winger who went on to play for Manchester City?)

After Extra Time (Full Time: 2-2)

Attendance: 4,800.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2008, 12:24:31 AM »

Think it was Charlie Mitten (ex Man U) as i remember him being player-manager in the early 60's. Not sure when I started watching Alty but guess it was about 1961. My Grandad, whom I never knew, did work for the club as I have a clock on the fireplace which they presented him for service from 1930 to 1948 (maybe some of the older fans can tell me what he did as I can't ever recall my dad telling me!!). My dad lived at the white house opposite the ground which is now the nursery and I remember him taking me to games before the W&S years. I remember us getting stuffed 7-1 at Macc and all the Alty fans giving Paddy Fagan grief......I think he may have been player-manager at the time.
Remember many of the names already mentioned but I always recall Don Cooke who was going to be a massive local star but I think he got injured and never really made it and I always have this memory of a Scottish centre forward called Harvey McCreadie, if my memory serves me well, who was awesome in the air!!
Loved the Swindells era whilst at school and got plenty of my mates from school to come and watch at the time, however, in autumn 67 one of my mates returned the favour and took me along to the Kippax and I was hooked on watching City from then on. What a year to start watching them as I was up at Newcastle on the last day of the season to see them win the league.
Came back to watching Alty in the early 70's but went back to City in 79 and ended up missing the League Championship wins!! Returned again in 94 I think when my wife suggested I go and watch City with my niece's husband but I saw that Alty were playing Kiddy who were champions but hadn't been allowed promotion. I've been coming ever since and have been a season ticket holder for about 10 years and my oldest daughter became thr fourth generation Alty fan in the Read family when she started watching about 8 or 9 years ago!!

Jacko

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »

just a thought but i think it would be nice if someone could put skippers story on here
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can you explain??????????