PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frank Sidebottom doing Pre Match and Half Time entertainment at York..discuss
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frank Sidebottom doing Pre Match and Half Time entertainment at York..discuss  (Read 16109 times)

markecky

After reading the Frank will be doing a on Saturday at the match, not just in the social I wondered what people reactions will be.

I'm split.  Half of me thinks he is a parasite who pops up when we have a cup run (not seen him for a bit), jumps on our TV coverage for his own gain, then disappears again until next time whilst claiming to be an Alty fan.

The other half of me thinks some of his stuff is ace, that his "Robins aren't Bobbins" song is a classic and fondly remembers the album I bought back in 1989.

Thoughts?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, I think the first half of you is 100% correct.
Didn't he do a not-so-complimentary version of that song more recently? (could be wrong!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jez

Frank Sidebottom...described in the preview to the halifax FA Cup game as Alty's biggest fan.

Hadn't been seen since the last cup run and wasn't seen again until the Spurs match...then he disappeared until Darlo by which time i think we'd cottoned on to the fact he may have been using Alty for publicity.

Yes some of his stuff is very funny...but he's no Alty fan and I find it humiliating when people believe if you cut his head off you'd find red and white stripey blood inside....

teasybeaver

He's a bit like me really! Turns up at the big games starts a few songs and then sits at home scratching his massive head for a few months.

Why can't he turn up to home games and try and raise the clubs profile that way (not that we really want the type of PR a man wearing a paper mache head would bring). This reminds me of when stato sponsored an away game, Bradford PA if i'm not wrong. I think certain people like the quirkiness of supporting a small club and it makes them media friendly.

If he wants to use the club to leapfrog back into peoples minds it has to be a 2-way thing. I never saw Frank hanging around at Spennymoor away in our darker days, i think parasite pretty much sums up any celebrity association with the club and that includes the massive clubs who's shadows we live in.

We're better off on our own, i really can't believe we're finally developing the schools idea. I, along with many others have been saying it for ages. I got into Alty through school as did many others who've been going for the past 17/18 years and Alty FC is a really exciting place to go when your a kid, i'll never forget those first few games!

Frank Who???

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Spot on TB!
In all respects.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile

He could be a very good source of publicity for the club as he was in the late 80s, and we still do get attention through him in some ways. 

I don't think all celebrities who go to clubs are parasites, particularly if they do generate good publicity for the club - which Frank has done in the past. 

I just think he needs to come along to a few more routine league games than just turn up for an FA Cup match.

grovesred

In fairness to Frank Sidebottom, it was I who approached him to do the York gig this weekend, so if anyone's jumping on a bandwagon it's me, not him.

I noticed on his website that he'd been doing more and more gigs over recent months.

At the same time York Minstermen (www.yorkminstermen.org.uk ) have been trying to find more and more uses for York City Social Club in order to increase the football club's revenue.

So I got in touch and invited him to do a gig which I hope will see us have a full Social Club on a Sunday night when it would normally be shut, and raise a few quid for York Minstermen at the same time.

Just to correct the title a bit, Frank will be on the pitch before the game, messing about a bit with our mascot, Yorkie the Lion, but there are no plans for him to be on the pitch at half-time.

He'll be on stage in the Social Club around 8.00pm.

markecky

I quoted the fact that he was doing something at half time from his own myspace account.  Apologies if in error.

thegazelle

I can confirm that Frank Sidebottom is an out and out city fan who as a "soft spot " for Alty. I believe that any publicity is good and we should keep him on our side.

If the club want i am in a position to approach him and ask if he could perhaps get involved with some sort of fundraiser. Chris(sorry Frank) lives in alty and iam told he is working hard at pushing himself back into the public eye so it may be mutually beneficial.

i suspect chanting abuse etc on saturday would only be counterproductive so please try not to

Let me know if you want me to have a word in his shelllike

grovesred

I quoted the fact that he was doing something at half time from his own myspace account.  Apologies if in error.

No need for apologies! I think his myspace thingy still has the gig starting at 6.00pm which was the original proposal, until YCFC's firework display was moved to that time (to accommodate Leeds Reserves v Wednesday reserves  ::) ) forcing us to shift everything about.

JohnnyInTheBridge

Well you miserable set of beggars    :-[

I'm off to tell Frank's Mum on you.....

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Any publicity would benefical to both parties, he did change a once pro Alty song into 'The Robins are Bobbins' and  you can tell Frank's mum what you like, but not a word to little Frank.
Full time and proud of it

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk

so a song of "Burn the B*stards F*ckin Head" is not allowed to be sung then ?  :'(

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

he did change a once pro Alty song into 'The Robins are Bobbins'

I thought so!

thegazelle

I would suggest songs that are not personal, like
where were you when we were sh*t!!!!!!
and general abuse about man city and timperley big shorts

but feel free to abuse i was merely acting in a kissingeresque manner and looking at potential benefits

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frank Sidebottom doing Pre Match and Half Time entertainment at York..discuss