Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What the hell happened at the end of the game???
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What the hell happened at the end of the game???  (Read 23558 times)

Hamilton

Re: What the hell happened at the end of the game???
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »

Its a shame we are not talking more about a damn fine result.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »

Exactly.

But whose fault is that?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hamilton

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

Exactly

VofD

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »

Exactly.

But whose fault is that?

Well, I think those of us with any brain cells know exactly whose faults it is.

Hamilton

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

Its a shame it takes some of the attention away from the players

Thomas H

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »

Absolute madness and having witnessed the melee in front of me today, I have no doubt who was to blame for it.

There was a senior official of the club on the fringes who witnessed the events and must have seen and heard all that happend.  I am sure the official will report the facts as seen and act responsibly on the clubs behalf.

As for the game, I guess a point was just about a fair result against a team 2nd in the table, it was difficult to judge how good they were and whether we should have been a little more adventurous a little earlier, but I would have settled for a point before the game if asked.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »

The problem started between there short arse assistant and GB, there guy was feffing and jefffing because they did'nt get a pen. It was not a pen our guy got the ball first. it carried on after the whistle, GH initially tried to calm it down, something was said and all hell let loose.

I must say our players appeared to stay out of it, however the Torquay players or some of them were mouthing at the home fans, that will cause trouble in the future. Obviously pissed at not beating a part time outfit.

All I say is good luck Droylesden! ;)

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 12:24:22 AM »

Whatever Torquay fans are saying right now is possibly justified. We lost all moral high ground the moment the first punch was thrown. As much as I can't abide the 'teams like Altrincham' comments, some of those fans who travelled here today must be applauded for travelling all that way to stand in the rain and watch what must have been, for them, a disappointing 1-1 draw. If it had ended there they might have left Moss Lane with a new found respect for us 'part timers'. As it is I fear we have sowed the seeds for an animosity that has no place in non league football.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

bighairedmike

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 02:16:31 AM »

The problem started between there short arse assistant and GB, there guy was feffing and jefffing because they did'nt get a pen. It was not a pen our guy got the ball first. it carried on after the whistle, GH initially tried to calm it down, something was said and all hell let loose.

I must say our players appeared to stay out of it, however the Torquay players or some of them were mouthing at the home fans, that will cause trouble in the future. Obviously pissed at not beating a part time outfit.

All I say is good luck Droylesden! ;)

Exactly. People seem to overlook this as well and just point out the bad in GH. It probably doesnt help when the opposing chairman/chief executive comes over to GH before anything had happened and tells him to calm down and stay out of it.

altyf

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »

Whatever Torquay fans are saying right now is possibly justified. We lost all moral high ground the moment the first punch was thrown. As much as I can't abide the 'teams like Altrincham' comments, some of those fans who travelled here today must be applauded for travelling all that way to stand in the rain and watch what must have been, for them, a disappointing 1-1 draw. If it had ended there they might have left Moss Lane with a new found respect for us 'part timers'. As it is I fear we have sowed the seeds for an animosity that has no place in non league football.

I thought it was a discraceful turn out...considering some of their fans were being arrogant saying "the lowest we ever take is 200 on a tuesday, we'll have 300 easy!" and the fact they are going for the play-offs made it a poor support for me. And to then bring under 200 was terrible...raining or not, they were lifeless. It may have been a disappointing draw for them but at the end of the day, we, (a part time team who have spent most of the season in the relegation zone) took 70 on a Tuesday expecting an absolute battering!

seasonticket

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

What happened took place right in front of me. What has been said previously is mostly correct but somewhat exagerated. I must first say that GH should have carried on walking away and all would have been fine. But The little assistant manager or whatever he is would not let it rest. He kept on mouthing off. As for the "good right hand" someone said was thrown, what an exaggeration. It was thrown by a guy whose shoulders were being held from behind and had my granny been in the way of it she would not have been knocked over and she has been dead since 1953. Ok GH was wrong to get involved but so were the Torquay people for trying to wind up our bench all second half. None of this should detract from a good result.
Many people say it was a great game. I disagree, how Torquay are that high in this league I don't know. We have seen several teams here playing much better football than this lot. All they wanted to do was put the ball in the air for most of the game. Not a patch on York City when they played here and they won't get in the play offs.

Jezza

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 10:55:37 AM »

I wasn't there but it's refreshing to see a balanced honest appraisal from Alty fans...presuming it's honest as it seems to be as critical of the Alty management as any Torquay involvement and keen to see some sort of action taken against whoever from alty was involved.

As for the torquayt fans moaning...simple answer......next year call off the saturday match at 10.00 and hold on a Tuesday night and don't move them when it rains.

Good to hear about the swift attentions by our inadequate stewards to the young man who had a fit...I suspect he'll go away with the right impression of Alty.

VofD

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

In the last few matches GH has done a superb job, maybe listened to people and had the team playing with far more zest & threat. He seems to have unearthed another couple of decent loanees. He has had a great history at the club and done well to even get us to this level.

We cannot afford to lose money if we are fined for this - if this is true, and I've no reason to disbelieve the eye witness reports - or get a bad reputation.
However, as much as I am proud that GH has such passion for the club, this behaviour must be reigned in.
My instinct is to give GH the benefit of the doubt, but I am inclined to have a certain degree of sympathy with VofD's argument on this (There, I said it!).

No matter what the cause of the argument or the nature of the behaviour by the Torquay representatives, I hope we have apologised for that incident. No matter what has happened during the match, you DO shake hands afterwards. Even Alex Ferguson was saying the other day, for instance, that his players are told to shake the ref's hand after a match - no matter how poor his performance might have been.

At the very least, this cannot go on. GG must take action.

That's a first. :o :o :o

citybauy

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

As an Exeter fan I wont hear a word against Alty, we have always been treated with respect and kindness on our visits to Moss Lane. There are a large number of arrogant Torquay fans, dont tar them all with the same brush but there are a decent number of indecent people. Regarding the standing in the rain...well thats just tough. Countless teams have had to stand in our away end in the rain before, where we can we let people sit down, I'm not sure whether we issue a trade-up charge - I'd guess it would depend on how much of the game was left. Regarding GH and the brawl, well I wouldnt put it past the Torquay lot to be aggressive, not at all. They are a bunch of hotheads and wind-up merchants. And Sills is the biggest cheat in non-league football, the diving fairy.

I stuck up for you guys to my mates when you had trouble about standing in our stand, sorry about that, you should have been allowed a transfer to the terrace much sooner. When our away crowds fall below 100, or are expected to, we try and cut costs by closing one stand, and this can make the fans suffer. I hope it worked out for you in the end.

But you will hear no 'teams like Alty' comments down our way, we have always regarded teams highly who have a) done well for themselves and played honestly and b) who have looked after us at away games. A good example:  One year I nipped to your excellent chippy before the gates opened, I presumed at 2pm. They opened at 1.30 and I was told I could come in if I wanted to, even though I had bought food from outside the ground. Some teams would have gotten funny about that. I hope you stay up, you deserve it. Thanks for taking so many points off the Gulls, and look forward to seeing you next year if we stay down (you'll forgive me for saying 'hope we dont meet next year!'

Bath Alty

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »

Thanks for your kind comments and Exeter fans have always been pretty good.

Your club on the other hand.....

In answer to your question, yes you do charge for the transfer to the stand (Alty's trip last season) when it took 20 minutes for the stewards to decide that a thunder storm was a good enough reason to let us under cover.
and no it did not work out for us in the end transfering to the terrace.  I wrote to the club as suggested by your stewards to complain about the away end being closed and the extra £2 we all had to pay.  I have not even had an acknowledgment from Sally Cooke.

It's a shame your fans are let down by the club you support.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What the hell happened at the end of the game???