News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Acton v Coburn

Author Topic: Acton v Coburn  (Read 6606 times)

ioko

Acton v Coburn
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »

I couldnt get there yesterday due to work but I see that Stuart Coburn played.

I have to say that if I was Richard Acton, I would be a little disappointed about losing my place. I dont think he could have done anymore than he did and would expect him to go and look elsewhere for first team football. Dont get me wrong, Coburn is an outstanding keeper but Acton was exceptional whilst covering for us and I would have kept faith with him as along as he continued to perform.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 04:50:24 PM by ioko »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Acton v Coburn
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »

Yes I quite agree. The big problem Richard has is that it's Stuart Coburn, not some run of the mill conference keeper / loanee league reserve.

I'm glad for Richard that he proved what a top keeper he is for us. I was so proud of his performance under heavy physical pressure at Cambridge and I would hope that he does well in his career whilst still being sort of on call to Alty as he has been over the past couple of years. That talentless thug Marc Smith (who I played against and is a total wnaker by the way) never played at conf level and got the reviews that Richard has recently.

I have to say that seeing Coburn on the teamsheet is a reassuring site but I hope if Acko is reading this (although he doesn't strike me as the type of lad who would be reading fans forums) he knows that he's fully appreciated by Alty fans. You're a credit to yourself and the club and I hope we haven't seen the last of you in an Alty shirt (Stuarts an old man now and his back will go againa soon anyway! ;))

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »

It was worth Acton being a sub just to see his amazing volley at half time, maybe with knowing that Coburn will play he's trying his hand at being an outfield player  ???

Jenga

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

Acton the new Bandy?

If he cant play him goal just play him anywhere to accomodate him, perhaps left back???

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:44:47 PM »

The problem Heathcote had is that Coburn is the superior keeper and although Acton was magnificent during his time in the side IMO his level of performance was not such that it surpassed what we would have expected from Coburn.

The question is not whether Acton played well whilst in the side, but whether now Coburn is fit, he is better than our other option in that position. Acton has been superb, but is not better than Coburn.

I thought the situation was handled very well, and would rather that Acton stepped down being able to be proud of his performances rather than dropping him after a poor game which would have tarnished his other great performances to some degree.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:39:11 PM »

We've had the luxury this time round of not having to rush Coburn back fromm injury.  In the past he's played on through injury or come back too soon - to the detriment of his performance.  I remember a 1-2 defeat at home to Ashton (not the Hallows match) where Stuart was definitely constrained in his movements and goals resulted.   And if Stuart is still feelinmg his knock, then Acton can step back in.  This is likely to increase Coburn's confidence levels by reducing the pressure on him

babybrads

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »

both keepers are prooving themselves quality keppers but that choice of what keeper we have at the start is really hard coburn has alot of good time to proove him self and acton has had a little and has prooved him self just as good its too hard to choose
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Acton v Coburn