News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York fans decent bunch

Author Topic: York fans decent bunch  (Read 8323 times)

NauticaPete

York fans decent bunch
« on: November 06, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »

From the comments on the fans' forum and from last year's petition effort from a York fan, it seems the York fans are due some credit and respect. They're not arrogant like some other ex-league teams' supporters, and also enjoy a noce cuppa at half time eh up.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: York fans decent bunch
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:44:55 PM »

Fully agree-I particularly liked the way they clapped former Minstermen Steve Bushell & Joe O'Neill when their names were read out & when the match & away attendances were announced.

Regards
Brian

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »

Indeed,York doesn't come across as some of the other big-time clubs in the league who think they have a divine right to beat us (maybe yesterday,but you would think that after last season against them).Last season we just turned up at the ground and ran around a pitch for 90 mins doing nothing.Yesterday we went at them from the start,and kept going at them in the 93rd minute.We were only beaten by a superb goal by Donaldson,and I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves put in a big offer for him in January.The best players in the Conference are proving a hit in the higher leagues (Eastwood,Hooper,Mclean).Also add Craney to that,who scored direct from a corner Satdee (surely hes got to go in January!!)

All in all,a very good performance,and if we play like at against Crawley/Grays (delete as to which will be next,probably Crawley),we will get a positive result.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:06:27 PM by Nasha »
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

JR04

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 12:06:19 AM »

I have to admit to having developed a soft spot for Alty, althought whether this would have come about if you hadn't let us thrash you twice last season is another matter! :)

Your team deserve a lot of credit yesterday for not going down the 10 men behind the ball route that most in your position do, and your fans deserve a mention for making noise beyond their numbers for the 2nd season running.

Enjoyed Alty last year, was pleasently surprised how nice the place itself was, nice traditional ground, and found the whole day out very laid back. Looking forward to our visit in Feb, just keep the pitch warm this time round! ;)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 12:23:41 AM »

Was interesting hearing Billy Mc saying in his radio interview that Alty play football the way it's supposed to be played (with the feet presumably) and also the radio commentary was complentary of the playing style. Only goes to emphasise how well the team played at Oxford by being able to adapt the style of play required to the circumstances.

Phil Howden

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:36:17 AM »

Actually I must admit that, when we first came into the Conference, I expected the better football to come from the part-time teams mainly because they would be the best footballers whose jobs were too good to give up for a bad full-time wage as a footballer.

We have played some horrific sides since we have been in the Conference - this season I must mention "11-0-0" Stafford Rangers and "let's lie down on the floor to get a point" Southport. These teams are an insult to the way football should be played. Fortunately Altrincham have obviously got a real football manager in charge who wants to pass and move and win the game by being the better team - and that should have happened on Sunday. Some of your football was a joy to behold and there were no players diving, play acting, time wasting all of which gets right up my nose I must confess.

We won the game 1-0 but could have lost 5-3 and, to be quite honest, I would rather lose 5-3 in a game where both teams are really going for it than watch a 0-0 draw against 11 Stafford defenders.

Football is all about reputation - and Altrincham's reputation certainly amongst the York football public was given a massive boost by your performance on Sunday. Although we stuck 8 goals past you last season, that was last season and we were under no illusions that a team who got a creditable draw at Oxford, a place where we were easily beaten, we give us a real game. And you did!

babybrads

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »

must agree i rather watch a game where its at each end chance after chance we are inprooving still from last season we will get even better in time

who started the petition?

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:31:44 AM »

the guy above you n this thread kid Phill Howden

Phil Howden

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:38:38 AM »

Actually, just so you know - when I came across to the Weymouth game a few weeks ago I brought a printed copy of the petition and gave it to Mr Heathcote "for posterity" so you could all have the chance to read it. Obviously the petition website has closed down as it expires through time when it's inactive, so I thought I'd better re-format it and print it off before it disappeared. A printed version was also sent to the FA themselves.

Anyway, let's hope something like that never happens again - although I suspect it will.

>:(

brian rooney

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

A bit belated I know, but thoroughly enjoyed the York experience on Sunday. Unlike at Oxford, actually found that I could wander round the streets wearing an Alty top without getting any bother whatsoever. Even the missus enjoyed the day out! York fans were brilliant and the game was top class end to end stuff. Hopefully we'll get a goal against them in Feb!
AltyBri

tonybrads

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 08:02:39 PM »

i agree york fans were friendly, found i could relax on sunday. maybe the beer helped lol. did not like the chips from the chippy rd the corner
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York fans decent bunch