News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Football ground food

Author Topic: Football ground food  (Read 9865 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Football ground food
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »

Well as its so slow on here today, must be the lack of a weekend fixture.

Best food anywhere?
Worst ever?
Burgers, hot dogs or Pies?
Pricing  of match food?

Best food....Gainsborough's pie, chips peas and gravy. Kidderminster was good too a few years back.
Worst ever....I have a dual one here, a so called meat pie at Gateshead years ago, contained cold mushy corned beef, and what can only be described as a "nothing "pie at Wakefield on the basis there was no filling in it apart from a smear of dubious brown matter.
Pies...everytime, especially a decent meat and potato.
Pricing, some places really take the piss, my view a pie should be no more than say £1:60-£1:75, AFC Wimbledon charge £2:70 for a crappy burger.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

Re: Football ground food
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »

right down my street this one , steven

Best Gainsborough pie chips gravy and peas were still brilliant two years ago and i can remember good curry and chips at Blyth
worst was a meat pie with furry mould inside it at Wrexham. and a pie that was nearly all water (think it was melted jelly) no meat at stalybridge
Burgers and hot dogs are always sh*t so never buy them nowadays
BPA was good tassty pie and peas and cheap last time we went there and what alast couple of minutes to crown the day

worst meal ever was a curry in barrow before we lost in the conspiracy theory season. never had such a bad meal in my life

teasybeaver

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »

For me the best food i've had has got to be Kidderminster, there's a good choice and not just the usual routine, its not cheap but well worth it. Even a Droylsden fan from work said it was stand-out and that was at 4-0 down! Best of all was last season when one of the subs launched a 40-yard screamer in the half-time warm-up. It cracked one of our fans (it would be Smart not to mention who) full on in the chest exploding his freshly bought pie all over his new Christmas outfit! I'm still laughing now, really sorry!

The burgers at Alty are hard to beat and cheap as well!

Most amusing fodder and quite good is Lancaster. Its just the usual fine fare, chips, burgers, pies etc... The best bit is the main fryer is some greasy little local who wear's chef whites. Me an Raffo are in the pie queue an all you can here is the girl serving saying we need some more chips chef! Talk about the F word!

Worst food goes without doubt to Spennymoor! Boiled burgers the size of a 10 pence piece, it tastest what i imagine cat food to taste like and it was a long, hungry coach journey home! Fortunate that we won 4-0!

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:05:34 PM »

I have to say... the food at your place last year was sublime. I hear you have new caterers in't away end but i sincerely hope they still do those gorgeous pie, peas and gravy specials. I had one before the game, one at half time and one during the second half they were that nice. Even the 'worlds fattest steward' moved quickly to get to our food bar at half time.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:31:24 PM »

Well Mr Gazelle sahib I reckon your curry chef from Barrow found his way to South London Cos I've been off work sick and seriously close to the bog since Sunday nights Madras!

Alty FC Idol

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:06:21 PM »

Aggborough soup at kidderminster its great  :)

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:00:32 PM »

not inside the ground but the chippy down the road from SOuthport does great chips and curry sauce.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:46:23 AM »

I remember  getting a cheese and ham toasty at a Pub in Ashington (first year of the NPL) and it was only half way through it that I realised they'd cooked it with the cellophane wrap on. It was quite tasty - I had another one too (after taking the cellophane off!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

IanMac

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »

It's not a conference ground so I don't know if this is allowed, but the steak pie at Hampden Park is superb. I was watching Queens Park play Stenhousemuir, strange sitting in a 40k seater stadium with 500 other people.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »

Having worked with the North West Health Authority recently on their project "Healthy Stadia" one strand was the food on offer at North West grounds.  Until I arrived into the group, they were only talking about staff employed by the clubs and staff canteens etc. but as I represent supporters at such things, I suggested, they extend their brief to include food sold at the grounds on matchdayas.  A select few were chosen to be involved and clubs who improved the options to include healthier food were given some nice plastic award plaques, particularly those in the "Heart of Merseyside" region.

Do people think that football grounds should offer "healthier" alternatives? for example, baked potatoes, pasta, vegetarian options (ie. not just salads) in addition to the traditional pies, chips, burgers as a way to try to improve the health of fans?

Other issues, aide from food are, secure bicycle racks for fans to cycle to matches, safe, well lit walkways (aldershot could take note of that), water fountains

AA

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 04:48:17 PM »

A select few were chosen to be involved and clubs who improved the options to include healthier food were given some nice plastic award plaques, particularly those in the "Heart of Merseyside" region.
AA

I don't suppose Southport came under that did they? I think they're politically in Merseyside?
Their food on matchdays is dire

Do people think that football grounds should offer "healthier" alternatives? for example, baked potatoes, pasta, vegetarian options (ie. not just salads) in addition to the traditional pies, chips, burgers as a way to try to improve the health of fans?
AA

I think most fans just want better quality of the existing food rather than a change of diet.
Personally, if I wanted to improve my health, I wouldn't be a regular Alty fan - and I could save on the accompanying heart trouble!!!!  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Penistone Robin

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »

I think there should be healthy options there for those who want them (what chance a campaign like the school  to eat dinners?).  I'd certainly give them a try if they were available, the problem is they are generally harder to eat especially on terraces.  Burgers and hotdogs are often poor quality, but they are certainly easier to eat than a baked potato.  If you can get around this problem i'd probably switch to them as the unhealthy food varies greatly in quality, and pasta tastes good to me whoever makes it.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »

Certainly recall southports food being crap, aren't their burgers orange?

Seem to remember a cheeseburger being about 50p dearer than a plain one too, the extra being for a slice of processed plastic cheese.

Anyone stopped off at the Station Bar and Buffet at Stalybridge......you can get a dish of black peas in there.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 10:25:12 AM »

I'll always remember Gainsborough for the china sugar bowl with silver spoon.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Football ground food