PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Board Meeting
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Today's Board Meeting  (Read 20706 times)

Jeffers

Today's Board Meeting
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

So today is the big day. Will GH stay, will he go? Whose not really bothered?

The past three seasons in the conference have all ended in meeting the “less than expectations” mark. Each three seasons the history books show we have been relegated.

However, what is most disappointing is that this current season we only achieved 41 points, the same as the first season before the ludicrous points decision. Though this season we had a better team, well on paper at least. Even the defence with Shotton, Lane, Young, Tinson and Toulson, Jennings or Peyton conceded more than Aspinal, Band, Maddox, Munroe and Peyton back in 2005/6. Though we did manage to score the most goals this season of our three seasons back at non-leagues elite division.

So where did we go wrong this season? Certainly some of the players brought in during pre-season were not good enough (aka Whalley and Sedgemore) whilst Roca and Battersby did little apart from create and score the winner against nine man FGR.
Yes there was a shortened amount of time to recruit the “right people” during pre-season (so there’s an excuse for next season if we get a third successive reprieve). But a good manager can bring his side to achieve the necessary results, and provide tactics that work game in, game out. Furthermore had Halifax not had their 10 point deduction, we would have been relegated even before the last game of the season.

Some people will go on about the lack of finances for the players, others that GH has been around for years. To be relegated once is unfortunate, twice in successive seasons are questionable, and thrice in three seasons is undefendable. To have a target for three seasons and fail to meet each of them, shows the manager is out of his depth, to keep the same manager after these three relegations is mystifying. Additionally, GH does not behave as a manager should, as an ambassador for the club, anything GH does badly reflects negatively onto Altrincham FC, for instance, heckling home supporters and consistently swearing. I personally know Altrincham supporters who would like to go to matches, but have already been put off by the antics of our manager. But still the club persevere with the same manager, now not only to get us out of the conference north, but to then keep Alty in the league that for the past three seasons has shown he simply cannot do.

Please do not get me wrong about Graham Heathcote, GH HAS done a lot for this club, as player, coach, secretary, groundsman, manager, etc…. But sentimentality should be set aside for the sake of progress. The last three seasons have shown GH cannot manage at blue square premier level. It is simply time to make a change, and to allow a better manager the chance to make Altrincham supporters proud again.

The main debate, if by some miracle the correct decision was made, who would become our next manager?

Nick Jefferson

Altrincham Supporter.

baldrick

Re: Today's Board Meeting
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »

Part time clubs can't compete with full timers on a long term basis. It is no good blaming the manager. Give him the same funds as Oxford/Torquay/Exeter etc and i bet he would win the league. There is no point sacking him unless you have someone lined up to take over and do a better job.

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »

Part time clubs can't compete with full timers on a long term basis. It is no good blaming the manager. Give him the same funds as Oxford/Torquay/Exeter etc and i bet he would win the league. There is no point sacking him unless you have someone lined up to take over and do a better job.

The thing is though, as much as team performances have been a big issue, it is not the only factor to be taken into account. We need a manager who is able to conduct himself professionally and not fight/argue with paying customers and opposing officials at nearly every match. Such behaviour cannot and should not be overlooked.

baldrick

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:44:21 PM »

He is completely different when the cameras are on him.

Alty365

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »

That's what they said about Barrymore.  ;D

baldrick

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »

;)

Hodgey

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:58:36 AM »

Here Here !

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

That's what they said about Barrymore. 

My nomination for one liner of the year.

Narcissist

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »

Its his decision to stay or go. The board want him there. I wouldnt say he's done a bad job, but surely 3 very similar seasons go to show that he has reached his limit in terms of ability to achieve at Altrincham FC.

We can argue all day and night  that with a better budget he would win us the league but the fact is the budget will only get worse if we are relegated. That points towards a new strategy for me and with it a new manager. We all know that we could have finished higher last season so its now time to see if there is someone who can provide that boost.

We are beyond being pro-active now, this is a reaction to 3 relegations, surely its time?

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »

Will we not find out for another ten days anyway?

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »

or perhaps a new manager would have us relegated in last position and a poor run in the bsn, I agree with the points made above however I do not agree that a new manager will do a better job per se we must accept that it is possible a new manager would do worse.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Daycare Dan

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »

or perhaps a new manager would have us relegated in last position and a poor run in the bsn, I agree with the points made above however I do not agree that a new manager will do a better job per se we must accept that it is possible a new manager would do worse.

True, but on the flip side a new manager might do better for us. The only way to find out is try it.

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »

I personally know Altrincham supporters who would like to go to matches, but have already been put off by the antics of our manager.
Is this really true? If so, it seems pretty small minded.
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!

Alty365

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 10:20:32 AM »

I personally know Altrincham supporters who would like to go to matches, but have already been put off by the antics of our manager.
Is this really true? If so, it seems pretty small minded.

I know people who aren't renewing season tickets because of our manager. It's not small minded, its just exercising your right as a consumer to take the ultimate sanction.

bigcol

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:22 AM »

I can feel one of those Bombay TV things coming on about today's events ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Board Meeting