PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FRIDAY HALIFAX UPDATE THREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FRIDAY HALIFAX UPDATE THREAD  (Read 15418 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FRIDAY HALIFAX UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

I thought someone might remember John Cooper Clarke. Beesley Street was always the opener in the long dead Music Machine in Camden Town. Kung Fu international was my favourite but I married a monster from outer space was brilliant. Anyone under 40 will have no idea what we are on about. You never see a nipple in the Daily Express.

I'm 26 and I know him, he's hilarious!

He's been making something of a comeback, he was on a major chat show here in Ireland a few weeks ago and had a double page spread in the Sunday Times recently. Attila the Stockbroker and Seething Wells anyone?

Back on topic. If Halifax have gone, I am saddened, as I said on another thread the football authorities need to get their house in order and legislate so that this sort of thing can not happen again. Feel sorry for the Halifax fans. Obviously we will take any reprieve going, but it is becoming embarrassing.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »

But why doesn't the BBC story give any mention at the fact that Altrincham have / will be reprieved and mention that they are a solvent club instead of making us sound like a bunch of lucky B*****ds !!

Let's be honest....we are a "bunch of lucky b*****ds" though to a fair degree! 

I'm sorry and this is harsh on Halifax fans and I'm sorry but how can we be lucky if another team pays more than they can afford to be better than us ?

Exactly. For "lucky" substitute "good housekeeping". ;D
But why doesn't the BBC story give any mention at the fact that Altrincham have / will be reprieved and mention that they are a solvent club instead of making us sound like a bunch of lucky B*****ds !!

Let's be honest....we are a "bunch of lucky b*****ds" though to a fair degree! 

I'm sorry and this is harsh on Halifax fans and I'm sorry but how can we be lucky if another team pays more than they can afford to be better than us ?

Exactly. For "lucky" substitute "good housekeeping". ;D

Yes, these teams overspending effectively dig their own graves.....but the fact that it looks probable that we have experienced an unprecendented sequence of three consecutive reprieves surely demonstrates that an element of good fortune has come our way?

Anyhow, if I now don't have to go to watch Alty at Alfreton next season, I will certainly consider myself fortunate....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

malcolm

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

pre-season friendly is a great idea, remember we maybe reprieved but there was no Alty fans at the creditors meeting today, hopefully clubs like Huddersfield and Bradford and Leeds will give you preseason games and a bag full of money to start with

Aussie Bob

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Attilla the Stockbroker ...i got his first album when it came out!!.... with his version of  "Blowing in the wind"....slagging off Phil Oakley from Human League..""your raincoat you prat is flappin in the wind ..."
John Cooper Clarke was out here early this year for the Big Day out festival ...think he confused the hell out everybody...

Shame for Halifax ....but another escape for Alty .....

baldrick

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »

John Cooper Clarke should team up with Kevin Bloody Wilson for a world tour.

Aussie Bob

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 05:39:02 PM »

went to a wedding in  NZ where they played Kevin Bloody Wilson at the reception!! that was bloody strange...

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2008, 04:28:47 AM »

Many of the Architects I deal with refer to me as "Steve bloody Wilson".
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

tonybrads

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »

do feel sorry for halifax fans it a bad enough feeling getting religated

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »

You've got to admire the brinksmanship!

However I'm still depressingly confident that a deal will be struck  :(

O dear  :'(

Hope I'm not correct after all!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FRIDAY HALIFAX UPDATE THREAD