PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stand By Your Club.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stand By Your Club.  (Read 4498 times)

LeeSalford

Re: Stand By Your Club.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

Thanks to those who took the time and trouble to read and  respond to my original post on this subject. I think a few of you deserve a reply to your questions, so here's a few final thoughts.
 Cult of Ian Tunnacliffe asked what I would have done if Alty had gone into the old 4th Division back in 1980. Good question. Obviously I supported Alty through successful times as they went from Cheshire League to NPL to the Alliance ... and then later going from Unibond through Conference North and back into non-league's top-flight. Like any fan, I've  loved it when we've won cups and league titles, and I was desperate for us to get into the 4th Division. My original point was that I would support Alty through thick and thin, whatever level they played at. But 1980 was a different era. Then, a semi-pro club made up of scaffolders and teachers, etc. could win back-to-back APL titles and rule the non-league roost. The climate has changed and a club like ours has had to re-adjust. Recently, survival and stability have become the main issues. But in 1980 or 2008, the questions are the same ... whether or not to turn professional ... how to attract greater finance and larger crowds, etc.. I'd love to see Alty become force to be reckoned with again but I'm admittedly cautious because of the recent threat of my club going out of business. I'd want progress to be realistic and sustainable. Perhaps the earlier example of Alty going up for election is more interesting. In the days when two non-league teams were put forward, one from the Northern Premier League and one from the Southern. Alty could have followed Wimbledon's route. The Don's fans were in dreamland for 10 years, rising through the divisions and eventually winning the F.A Cup. It would have been brilliant if it had been Alty. But we all know what happened next ... I wouldn't have liked to have experienced the Don's fans' trauma. They didn't leave their club ... it left them. To respond to Narcissist's suggestion that there might be a point at which I'd stop supporting Alty ... well probably the honest answer after 40 years loyalty is ... only if they left me to become a club like MK Dons! It's a shame, Narcissist, that you think we're "miles apart."  We've both invested time and money in the club and you're right ...we've earned the right to an opinion on how it's run - in this case I'm extra-cautious and want the club to remain stable in the short term and you'd prefer a clean broom through Moss Lane with a new direction, moving forward quicker. But if we got together over a beer and shared stories of our favourite Alty moments, players, and goals over the years we'd see what we have in common. That we love the club and want it to prosper. With regard to your comment on ground-sharing, you're right to be concerned. The situation has to be managed carefully. But let's see how it goes - we can always opt out in future seasons. Personally I'm not threatened by F.C. United in the slightest. They're a completely different animal to Altrincham F.C.. They're a supporters' team and their communal link is the Mother club they left behind - hence the red shirts and the name United. But good luck to them.  Altrincham have had a vibrant 100-year sporting history at the heart of the town's community. Maybe sharing resources in the short term will benefit both clubs. Enjoy the Summer!

Railway Alty

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »

LeeSalford,
well done for putting some common sense into all thats been said on here over the past couple of days/months/years (delete as applicable),
A1 post
have a goodwin on me
I refer to my first post!!!!!!!!
Have another Goodwin

Narcissist

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »

Nice words LeeSalford and nice to read someone who takes a step back before replying. A trait which often deserts me.

I dont think we are miles apart, I didnt think you would only support alty 'because of the type of club we are'. It was just to highlight to you that I would support alty no matter what league we were in or what state our administration was in. I never chose to support alty, I came, I saw, they conquered me, I never felt the option or desire to stop supporting them. I just feel lucky that I support a club with such amazing values, it wasnt a choice. I think for this we have a huge debt of gratitude to the current board. Alty's values havent always been that great remember!

As far as FCUM is concerned. A slight overreaction perhaps, but also i do think that they have no understanding of non-league football and what it stands for in a community. There's a huge risk there. None the less, good luck to them, I hope they find a place in manc that needs them, its just not Alty and never will be hopefully!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stand By Your Club.