PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non-League Paper Article
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Non-League Paper Article  (Read 6649 times)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non-League Paper Article
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »

If they have miss quoted him then it is one hell of a big miss quote.

This report has me worried about any ambition we may have, surely a report can not be miss represented to such a degree.

Exactly. It's not like it was one word, or a sentence, that was mis-reported. How on earth could they have made a mistake on the whole quote?

???

Longman

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »

This report has me worried about any ambition we may have, surely a report can not be miss represented to such a degree.

That's what I thought, surely some of the stuff quoted must have been said, which concerns me.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 08:34:57 PM »

That's what I thought, surely some of the stuff quoted must have been said, which concerns me.

The quote that GR picked out is one that it would appear has not been said. The rest of it has been mis reported. Either way, I'm sure GG will explain in due course.

DarrenH

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

I would suggest that no one holds their breath for an explanation !

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

What GG said last year

2nd May 2007

However, Altrincham "received a massive boost after the disappointment of relegation, when chairman Geoff Goodwin reversed his decision to step down...saying: 'Relegation will be a godsend, it will be the making of the club. We are taking a step back to take a step forward. It is a new horizon. There are a lot of positives - we are debt free, have a good pitch and a good set of players. We had expected we would need 50 points to survive - unfortunately, although we got 51, it was not enough. It was inevitable that we would get relegated eventually because if you are not full time you will not survive in that league (Conference National). If we had stayed in the Conference I would not have wanted to stay on. One of the main reasons I was stepping down is I can't give the club what it needs in the Conference - a massive input of money. I would rather see Conference North football with us winning every week'... Promotion to the Conference National in 2005 had arrived before the club was ready to thrive. But the now debt-free Robins would be in a far stronger position to survive when they next win promotion'".

3rd May 2007

Following the report in SAM earlier this week, (see below) Alty chairman Geoff Goodwin has clarified his view on the club's relegation from Conference National. Geoff has confirmed that he would have liked the club to have retained its Conference National status and to play at the highest level achievable but he is determined to look positively at the consequences of being relegated to the Conference (Blue Square) northern division. Having attracted the best attendances to Moss Lane for 16 seasons during 2006-07, the Alty chairman is keen to retain the vast majority of those spectators next season. He points out that, even if we had stayed up, the new counter-attraction of live weekly Blue Square Premier matches on Setanta TV next season may have impacted negatively on our gates in any case. But with supporters having been well entertained by the games at Moss Lane in the past season, he is hopeful that they will continue to come and watch live, untelevised football in their numbers at Moss Lane next season.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

Umm I thought something similar was said last year, this defoo needs clearing up

Alty365

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »

It does occur to me that if the attitude at the very top of the club is "we don't even want to be in this league", it makes a complete mockery of trying to put together a team capable of staying in it. How much of this apathy towards survival filters through to the players?

There should be a clear mission statement issued by our chairman stating our absolute determination, not only to survive, but to finish as high as we possibly can in this league. If that is 5th from bottom then so be it, but in the longer term we have to have more ambition than "just surviving". The most important thing about the aforementioned mission statement is that there should be a mood of optimism and determination all around the club instead of the negative soundbites about not wanting to play at this level. It might seem like a small thing but I think psychologically it makes a vast difference.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »

It does occur to me that if the attitude at the very top of the club is "we don't even want to be in this league", it makes a complete mockery of trying to put together a team capable of staying in it. How much of this apathy towards survival filters through to the players?

There should be a clear mission statement issued by our chairman stating our absolute determination, not only to survive, but to finish as high as we possibly can in this league. If that is 5th from bottom then so be it, but in the longer term we have to have more ambition than "just surviving". The most important thing about the aforementioned mission statement is that there should be a mood of optimism and determination all around the club instead of the negative soundbites about not wanting to play at this level. It might seem like a small thing but I think psychologically it makes a vast difference.

Correct, Negativity breeds, as does POSITIVITY !!!!

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »

I'm not really looking forward to being in the Conference next season(subject to confirmation). But sometimes it's the parties you don't want to go to but you have to go, tend to be the best parties to be at.
They really should be beating teams like us

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »

We should be signing players now - In other words, we should be assuming that we have the reprieve - rather than waiting.
Perhaps we're scouring the market right now, but I don't think so.
It would be nice to be told that we were to give us all a bit more heart for this coming year.
I go into every season believing that we're going to do OK (at least) but just for once in the BSP, I'd like us to have made ourselves safe, on the pitch, before the end of the season.
It wouldn't cost the earth to do this, but we do need a quality left back, wide player and striker.
Actually, I'd settle for the last of these if we could only have one because how many times have teams played against us with very attacking formations knowingthat, really, only Colin would be a serious threat to them? If we had other options, teams might stand off us a little more - like they did more in previous seasons - and that in itself would take some pressure off the defence.

If we don't sign any of these three requirements, there's no doubt in my mind that we're going to be next season's Stafford/Droylsden/St Albans.

How ever hard Geoff thinks it is to stay in this league, let me say that it's a f**k sight harder to get back into it!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:41:58 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 02:52:56 PM »

I'm not really looking forward to being in the Conference next season(subject to confirmation). But sometimes it's the parties you don't want to go to but you have to go, tend to be the best parties to be at.

And that fat ugly girl always looks better after the sixth pint.

markecky

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »

Thing is that Unemployed Coalminer would be stood outside that party saying "there is another one down the road..its well better..there is only three people in it but its still good"  ;)

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »

:-X
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:33:30 PM by Unemployed Coalminer »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »

We should be signing players now - In other words, we should be assuming that we have the reprieve - rather than waiting.
Perhaps we're scouring the market right now, but I don't think so.
It would be nice to be told that we were to give us all a bit more heart for this coming year.
I go into every season believing that we're going to do OK (at least) but just for once in the BSP, I'd like us to have made ourselves safe, on the pitch, before the end of the season.
It wouldn't cost the earth to do this, but we do need a quality left back, wide player and striker.
Actually, I'd settle for the last of these if we could only have one because how many times have teams played against us with very attacking formations knowingthat, really, only Colin would be a serious threat to them? If we had other options, teams might stand off us a little more - like they did more in previous seasons - and that in itself would take some pressure off the defence.

If we don't sign any of these three requirements, there's no doubt in my mind that we're going to be next season's Stafford/Droylsden/St Albans.

How ever hard Geoff thinks it is to stay in this league, let me say that it's a f**k sight harder to get back into it!

you have it spot on tired of hearing negative sh*te whether gg quoted or not
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non-League Paper Article