News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why we got relegated

Author Topic: Why we got relegated  (Read 2916 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Why we got relegated
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »

Well, I know we didn't get relegated - but we ended up in the bottom 4 NOT because of our results against the top of the table and NOT because of our results against the bottom of the table - but (in my opinion) due to the fact that we showed the teams in the middle too much respect.

Just look at points earned against Grays, Woking and Rushden:

Vics 9 points
Halifax 7 points
Weymouth 5 points
Farsley 3 points
Alty 1 point

Next season will be won and lost on how we do against 12th to 20th.  Lets show them less respect - we are conference old timers now!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:07:02 PM by ManagementGuru »

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Why we got relegated
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »

We can't they're full-time teams and we don't have the players to compete over ninety minutes......came the reply from the dressing room

Softly, softly, catchy AGM spot.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You have a very good point MG which I'm sure those in particular who were at the Grays away game will heartily endorse. Unfortunately, it's not the folk on here that need convincing.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:17:33 PM »

I think that for most of last season, I would have agreed with this assessment. But looking at the final table, what strikes me is how badly we did against the higher-placed teams. In the 22 games we played against the teams that finished 1st to 11th (which includes Grays incidentally), we only got 6 points.

I think we did show mid-table teams too much respect. But of more urgency is the need to improve on that terrible return against the top 11, if we want to finish above the relegation places next season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »

I believe the 11 points we dropped against Farsley, Halifax and Vics were infinitely more crucial.

Never mind winning them all, if we'd have just won the home games and drawn the aways we would have been 5 points better off and ended the season 4 points in front of Vics, 5 in front of Halifax and 8 in front of Farsley.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »

You have a very good point MG which I'm sure those in particular who were at the Grays away game will heartily endorse.

One of the most disgraceful performances I have ever witnessed as an Alty fan. When you consider that our first (and only) shot of the game came from Greg Young in the second minute of second half injury time you get some idea just how poor it was.

alty snapper

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »

looking at the table on the main site it shows that the majority of teams that we got a result against in 1 game, we got a result in the 2nd, Torquay for example, but if we lost the first, we lost the second as well, the word confidence comes to mind!! http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/table07.htm

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »

Grays are gash, we should be beating teams like that.

Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »

I believe the 11 points we dropped against Farsley, Halifax and Vics were infinitely more crucial.

Never mind winning them all, if we'd have just won the home games and drawn the aways we would have been 5 points better off and ended the season 4 points in front of Vics, 5 in front of Halifax and 8 in front of Farsley.

Saugall Robin has hit the nail on the head. If we beat relegation rivals these really are 6 pointers!

Reading Robin

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »

Saugall Robin has hit the nail on the head. If we beat relegation rivals these really are 6 pointers!

Can't agree with this, as has been pointed we did very well against these teams.  Expecting to take 4 points off each of them is unrealistic.  It seems unlikely that we will do as well agaisnt the bottom 6 this season, so we need to be looking at the mid-table teams.  Some of them have not looked impressive in games against Alty (Grays, Salisbury), hopefully we can pick up a couple of wins against the top teams as we did in the first two seasons back.   

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »

Can't agree with this, as has been pointed we did very well against these teams.  Expecting to take 4 points off each of them is unrealistic.  It seems unlikely that we will do as well agaisnt the bottom 6 this season, so we need to be looking at the mid-table teams.  Some of them have not looked impressive in games against Alty (Grays, Salisbury), hopefully we can pick up a couple of wins against the top teams as we did in the first two seasons back.   

If we can't be expected to do this well against the bottom teams, why do you expect us to perform better against teams higher up the table?  ???
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Reading Robin

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »

Just expecting an improvement in this area, as we achieved few points against these teams last year.  1 point a game against the mid-table teams is surely more achievable than 2 points a game agaisnt the lower teams. 

Of course we should aim for results similar to what you suggest in the games against the lower teams, but it seems unrealistic to expect 2 points a game or higher.  For bad luck, injuries or poor play it is unlikely that we will get those results so we have to aim elsewhere. 

Last season on results against the bottom teams alone Alty would be top-half, against the mid-table and top teams we would be firmly in the relegation zone.  From that it seems clear to me where improvement is needed and achievable.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why we got relegated