Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?  (Read 54751 times)

Gumbo

Re: Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:23 PM »

Maybe it would better if the kids sit still for 90 minutes with their fingers on their lips. I'm sure they'll want to return again.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »

Can't believe you're moaning about kids at Moss Lane. Get a life. I'll be taking my neice to Old Trafford if she's not welcome at Moss Lane.

>:(  >:(  >:(

I can't believe that anyone could read this whole thread and actually come to the conclusion that children are not welcome at Moss Lane.

WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »

Maybe it would better if the kids sit still for 90 minutes with their fingers on their lips. I'm sure they'll want to return again.

Where has anyone suggested this?

How many more straw man arguments are you going to present?

Alty365

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2006, 03:07:13 PM »

Ok, well if you think it is acceptable for kids to run up and down steps in a seated area while other paying customers attempt to watch the game please explain how this is so. Further to the annoyance of other people they are risking injury to themselves. I don't believe it is unreasonable for people, young or old, to sit down in a seated area of the ground. Kids are the future of any club and I was very young when I first came here (as were most of the people I know who watch Alty). Take your niece to Old Trafford and see if she is allowed to run around like a lunatic for 90 minutes. I suspect not.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »

Things are starting to get silly now. As I said earlier, much earlier, all the kids should be welcomed. If they are generally and collectively being a nuisance a simple announcement over the PA requesting them to sit down or asking parents to ensure they sit down should suffice in all but the most persistent cases.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

markecky

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »

Why does that door that leads to a restricted area until 14:00 need to be open with a steward on it?  No one has any reason to go through it. Why can it not be locked?   Its creating work.

Or will I be told to lock it myself if I want it locking?

Ecky,

As you know I have a huge amount of respect for what you have done and continue to do for the Football Club....however I really cannot see where this exchange is taking us to. A decision has been made by the Football Club that a Steward will be positioned on the Bar door, is that not sufficient grounds for the steward being there?

There does sometimes seem to be an inordinate amount of criticism of the Stewarding staff in general and of myself and my posts in particular rather than just accepting that things seem generally to operate in a wholly satisfactory manner at present

I do hope that I don't detect a hint of sarcasm or criticism in your last paragraph above as iIreally do think that you would be letting yourself down if it were ???

??? ???

I'm not criticising stewards in any way.  I am criticising the fact that a lot is made of a steward having to stand at a door that doesn't need to be open until 14:00. 

Why is this point being constantly skipped? 

Why is that door open before 14:00?  No one has any reason to go through it until they have paid to get in the ground.

Thats my point.  I'm also a bit baffled by this "the club" tense that is used.  To me that would be a phrase used if an outside security firm was used and "the club" had told them they wanted certain things doing.

I am not criticising stewards.  I know we cannot operate without them and I do not want to be one. They do a good job. I just feel that we are making work for them and there is an easier way.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »

If adults were to persistently run up and down the gangways of the stand they would be thrown out.  Children should be treated no different.  I can fully appreciate the health and safety issues, too.

But we cannot afford to not make kids (and effectively their parents) welcome as they are essential if we are to progress as a club.  How many regular kids (ie those who come to watch the game) are there usually in the main stand?  It might be an idea for people with kids to be directed to the family stand as opposed to the main stand.  Otherwise, give them a free ticket for the terraces instead if need be.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »

"Otherwise, give them a free ticket for the terraces instead if need be".

I think that's the best suggestion. Why do they have to go in the stand anyway? Most kids can't sit still for 2 hours, especially if it's a bit nippy. Let them go on the terraces  -they'd probably enjoy it more there anyway and would be able to keep to themselves.

Gumbo

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006, 04:01:26 PM »

I've just suggested it.  ::)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

I've just suggested it.  ::)

So it's just you then.

You presented a view that no one else actually held and then criticised it.

All a bit meaningless then it seems.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »

I can't believe that the excellent idea of attracting children (and their parents) to Moss Lane has caused such a long debate.

I thought it was \ is an excellent idea by the club and shows that we are being proactive in the community. This can only make us look good to the local public and more importantly the local council.

I am 100% for this to continue and salute the club for doing it.

I think we have come to the conclusion that no one is against the idea but more on how it was done, Maybe those that complained could offer a solution ?

It is as important to keep the current fans happy as it is the potential new ones.

I think this was the best solution so far by SW ...

Things are starting to get silly now. As I said earlier, much earlier, all the kids should be welcomed. If they are generally and collectively being a nuisance a simple announcement over the PA requesting them to sit down or asking parents to ensure they sit down should suffice in all but the most persistent cases

Jez

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2006, 04:35:36 PM »

Oh My God! Even the mild mannered Gaz is getting upset now and has taken to instant messaging me..

Lets not all take things personally.

We should thank the cult for bringing this to our attention. We should thank the stewards for doing a marvellous job.

Happily we now have a volunteer to take on the thankles task of holding open the bar door if needed...Gary has offered (the club now need to weigh up the loss in bar revenue..prehaps Ecky can volunteer to be Gaz's wine waiter?)

Suggestions have been made not criticisms...questions have been asked not slanderous accusations of murder. Hopefully now thanks to everyone's contributions to this thread we are more aware of stewards duties and the club is aware of a potential problem that has been highlighted with solutions offered...well done all.

We are all in it together and should not get so touchy when someone offers a different view to ours.

Lets all love each other and give peace a chance....until Boxing Day by which time we should be united in our common goal...the enemy isn't here...it's OUT THERE!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »

Having now had the opportunity to reflect on Saturday and the comments received both directly and via the forum I feel the necessity to comment (sorry)

There are no group of individuals more committed to this Football Club nor more aware of the need to attract both new supporters and additional revenue than the Stewards, who I would remind you again are all volunteers. I find the criticism of the Stewards totally unacceptable and, to be honest very sad.

As has been posted elsewhere the Stewards, in addition to the duties set down in the Safety Procedures Manual (necessary for the Safety Certificate and therefore the operation of the ground) now cover supervision of the Car Park and also the Bar Door.
The Club has a responsibility to provide a certain number of reserved parking spaces for Match Officials, Sponsors, League Officials, the list goes on and without the sterling work of the Steward(s) doing this work, and I would remind you all being abused by people who cannot access the Car Park any more, the Club would fail in its reponsibilities on this issue.
The Bar, as we all know is a great source of Revenue for the Club and therefore its potential should be maximised. Unfortunately the Bar needs a licence and there are requirements incumbent upon the Club as conditions of that licence (together with the Safety Certificate) which necessitate the presence of a Steward on the Bar Door whilst it is open and, in fact until it has been vacated.
Also, very sadly there are people who come in to the Bar area who do try to ‘sneak’ through the back of the Bar thereby gaining entry to the match without paying. Again the Stewarding presence stops this from happening.

Maybe some other kindly individuals would like to assist the Stewarding Staff with these two tasks?

With regard to Saturday and the comments not only of  ‘Cult of’ but also comments made to the Stewarding Staff and myself personally my personal views are as follows.

I concur with the need to attract young supporters into the ground but it cannot be at the cost of current supporters. Many people who have been coming for many years and are ‘guaranteed’ sources of both support and funds quite clearly were very unhappy with events on Saturday and some have indicated that, should these events become too recurrent they would seriously consider whether to continue to provide the support and consequent revenue to the Club.

If an individual parent brings their children, perhaps with a friend or two then in the majority of cases they will, quite correctly in my view, take steps to ensure that the children are adequately supervised and not permitted to run about shrieking and disturbing other people.
I strongly believe that, where groups of children are invited, such as was the case on Saturday (in my view a very positive move) it must be made clear to the accompanying adults that they are expected to exercise a degree of supervision over their charges.

On Saturday the Stewarding staff were put in an invidious position, complaints from regular supporters were responded to by polite requests to the Children to sit down and not to disturb the enjoyment of other supporters. These requests were generally totally ignored and when the Steward(s) spoke again to the Child they were accused of being heavy handed. I personally asked two young children to sit down rather than stand blocking both a staircase out of the stand and the view of other supporters and the away bench and was told , by a parent, that they were only kids and that I should leave them alone.

I feel that the poster who suggested that, should a Child fall down the stairs and injure themselves the Club would not be sued is being, at best naïve and at worst blind to todays litigious society and, what happens if a child careering around the stand trips an elderly spectator who then falls and sustains a serious injury (fractured hip etc)? Do you think that the Club would be excused any responsibility for that?

It has been suggested that the Children be accommodated in the Family Stand, excellent idea, that’s what it’s there for eh? 
Sorry, slight problem – the sponsors who sit in there complaining to the Stewards about the noise and their enjoyment being disturbed.

If, as certain posters have suggested the Children should be welcomed and it is the responsibility of the Stewards to control them without upsetting them or their parents then maybe they’d like to volunteer to help next time we have an influx such as Saturday. (MarkEcky, Ballers, SW over to you)

Phil,

with respect there's not been any criticisms of the stewards in this thread. The only thing I can see is kidlad on page 2 asking whether it would be better if the stewards allocated them an area of seating and wathced over them. Now that's not the stewards job I know but it's not a criticism, nor is it such an outlandish idea if you don't work as a steward. i.e. some people are getting a bit irritated by kids running up and down the stairs, well who does suggest that they sit somewhere else or who does ask them to sit down. It's not really my place as a normal punter to do so is it. Only the stewards could really do that i think.

Neither did Ecky criticise, he just siad that the door doesn't need to be opened really when there's a fire door next to it but if you want I'll man it wiith Gary if it helps matters.

I can see why the stewards felt put in a bit of a position on saturday, fair enough,but I think a bit of this is the stewards feeling undermanned and undervalued. That's fair enough, don't we all want a bit more tlc? :-* - Guys I know you do an awesome job, your professionalism and training is a credit to the club and gave me faith that we would always be back here - seriously when we used to go to Unibond grounds and their token gesture was a luminous bib on a 7 year old ballboy I always reflected on the fact that we're a proper outfit, Rays excellent ballboy group, the stewards, the presence of a St. Johns ambulance hut etc.

What I'm saying is that we have 3 groups going in 2 stands, schools, sponsors and grumpy ol...resident stand dwellers ;) but you can't really cut back on either of them. The thing is when there are large groups being admitted their is less likely to be guardian control. I think on schools outings the adult to child ratio has to be something like 1:5 - in a primary school where there is possibly only 1 male teavher you're not going to get 5 female teachers giving up their saturday afternoon, why would they, there'll be stewards there won't there :-\

Maybe the solution is too offer 5 free adult tickets to groups of 25 children, if it brings parents down who wouldn't normally then so be it. But for some people to complaina bout their pesence is a little off, like I say in a football ground you don't choose who else is there or if they can make any noise or not. That's not a particular criticism by the way Cult, clearly if kids are disturbing peoples view etc someone needs to have a word somewhere and I'm well aware that if a kid fell down the stairs we'd have our arses sued, absolutely no doubt.

I don't know, it just seems a touch negative. Maybe what's needed is a steward (and I know we barely have enough) who is in the stand to be a child specific steward, not to be forever chasing them around but to be introduced to the parents/guardians associated with teh group beforehand to strike up a relationship (wahey :D) with them, explain the situation about the health and safety to tehm and when tehy are running riot just quietly have a word with the guardian who they are on good terms with. Otherwise guys it will look like you're jobworths when you go over to the kids, as this thread shows perceptions are different. And as a teacher I acn assure you that if you start on 2 kids sat in a gangway quoting health and safety legislation you might as well be speaking dutch to them.

And if Ecky, myself or I dunno Karen Rowley/Bill Coop did it we'd just be the organiser person that it wouldn't necessarily be as effective. DO you see the halfway house i'm getting at here?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »

I have just spoke to someone who was in the Main Stand during the game he or she (does not want to get involved so hence the he\she) said that it was about 5 - 10 Kids maximum who were being unruly. So that means maybe 10% were annoying whereas the other 90% did no harm.

He\She also said that there was a group of 5 kids sat infront of him\her who were trying to remember players names and were getting involved with 'oohhh's and ahhhh's" when things were happening on the pitch. They were playing a game where the first person to know who had the ball got a point. Which is great to see I think we all agree ?

So as always happens in life don' t let the few stop what was a great idea.

Not me

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2006, 07:32:36 PM »

Reference the bar door debate.
The bar door is open with access via gate 3 the other door and is manned by a steward and is unlocked so people can use it i:e the ones who work in the club shop etc.
Saying it does not have to be manned i would just like to ask how many of you have left the bar before the turnstiles open to sample the food in the away end before segregation is put in place?
This is just an observation and i am not accusing anyone of not paying.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?