Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?  (Read 54908 times)

Jenga

Re: Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »

I havent read all the posts but for gods sake folks cant do right for doing wrong.

You winge because there are kids in the stand?

JEEZ get a life and be glad we have new blood coming on.

Good luck to the kids and hope they come back again.

To the guy who cries because of kids in the mainstand then perhaps go and sit in Altrincham Libray instead.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 09:41:24 PM »

Bit bemused about the constant gripe about the bar door to be honest.  It only needs manning from 14:00 when the turnstiles open and can bring hundreds of pounds into the club when a club brings a decent support.  Whats the difference in a steward standing there or behind the goal prior to the match?

Also you say "the club" invited them so "the club" should look after them.  Are the stewards independent of the club?

I thought we are all in this together, from bar staff to fans.

The bar door needs manning from when the bar is open you would be amazed at the amount of people who try to get into the ground before the turnstiles open.
The stewards are not independant of the club or employed by the club we are volunteers like everyone else, What i was saying the club comes up with idea they should have someone to over see these idea's especially as it was the first one of the featured local clubs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:52:54 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

markecky

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 09:47:28 PM »

Surely a sweep of the ground via radios would suffice? 

Anyone that is in the ground and not wearing a snazzy staff badge (maybe get some sponsors guest badges made, will make them feel important) should not be in there yet or be able to produce a reason why they are. 

When that is complete all turnstile ops can be given the nod and the turnstiles and other bar door can open at the same time?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 10:58:23 PM »

Ashley Alty,

Thank you for your support!

As WC Fields once said: "I like children.....but I couldn't eat a whole one".

P.S. Any of your bread & butter pudding left?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ashley Alty

All gone
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

Gobbled up I'm afraid ::) Sweetheart, I believe, has some which is truly magnificent.  Pre-match entertainment, sometime this season, Club Sandwich Quiz?

Yorkshire puds were well received too

Kitty have any suspicions?

AA

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »

Jez,
I was around eight years of age when my father first brought me to Moss Lane.
Unlike the majority of parents there yesterday, he certainly ensured that I didn't run around the Main Stand like a headless chicken (and, no, that is not a reference to Peter Band, before Mrs Band comes on here to reprimand me!!).
Yesterday was an accident waiting to happen in terms of children falling and injuring themselves and must have given the Alty stewards kittens.
No doubt then, the parents would have blamed the club for any incident!

Ballers,
If you seriously think that a gang of screaming young girls creates atmosphere, then I suggest that you spend your money on going to Westlife concerts rather than Moss Lane!
You are deluding yourself if you seriously believe that the seven and eight year old girls who were present yesterday are the future at Moss Lane!
They weren't interested and neither were their parents.
End of rant.   

Cult
I am happy to say that my main focus was on the game rather than any 7 or 8 year old girls who were present. I didn't really notice who the kids were. I saw 3 young lads in front of me absolutely enthralled by the game for 90 mins, their reaction to Lewis goal was worth the entrance money alone, wjo were happy at the Alty chants coming from the back of the stand.

With respect, there is a slightly bigger picture here. I don't believe the 7 or 8 year old girls will be making up our future crowds but consider this as Crciket Australia did in the mid 80s....

Todays girls are tomorrows mums cult, we don't live in a society where it's dads and lads following the local team passing the young uns down to the front. In time their sons may hear about Alty and want to come down. A positive memory or at least recognitionof what Moss Lane is might actually make all the difference to whether they pander to little Jonnys wishes and feed his Alty bug. Now I appreciate that it may be some time before we see that happen, unlike Crawley or Stevenage who'd only have to wait 7 or 8 years  :D :D but it's worth it. Not all dads are present and correct mate.

I remember one of the first Alty games I came to was with my mum in about 1981, think we beat Trowbridge 4-0 or soemthing, my dad was away driving Shearings coaches, mum took me - why I don't know, knew I was keen on football tho but she could easily have shrugged it off and taken me to Auntie Clare's to play with my cousin while they had a Saturday afternoon natter over a cup of coffe - but she took me, I remember mostly playing on the grass bank! Now this isn't the only reason I now watch Alty but it was one more positive memory that bonds me to teh place. Baby steps cult, baby steps.

Also consider the effect it has on the lads, if 2 boys went to the game the conversation about it at school on Monday would last about 5 minutes. I fthe whole class went then at least it will be perpetuated for a while, girls an all. These kids aren't Jedis, we can't scan them to check if the force is strong in them and concentrate on the ones who will return you've got to cast the net a bit.

It may have been inconvenient to resident stand dwellers but do you not think there is a greater good here? could you put up with it occasionaly? If they were as uninterested as you say they won't take up the free ticket offers to often.

Regards
Ballers

p.s. the cheerleaders, ahem, It doesn't attract me (now) and at 13 years of age the lure of seeing if Steve Saunders and Ian Tunnicliffe would gel as a partnership was enough for me but I think I can predict that soon we will see a keen interest in Alty games from the boroughs 13/14 year old lads more regularly...regardless of whether Joe O'Neill is a 5 or 7 goal a season man ;)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 11:47:28 PM »

These kids aren't Jedis,
imagine if they were and we had a whole underling following, my word the jedi mind control would be invaluable with some refs! who are quite literally our sith sometimes! oooh star wars analagys half an ounce of sh*t geek anyone????

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »

Have some karma my young padawan ;)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 01:15:56 AM »

George Heslop as Yoda, perhaps?!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jez

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 04:48:38 AM »

Upon reflection I feel the cult has a point.

Todays kids are tomorrows paying customers but hopefully not at the expense of long standing fans whom they have annoyed out of moss lane or an expensive law suit.

Perhaps a couple of signs "Please supervise your children...kids run up and down these ricketty steps at their own risk, club not responsible and may we recommend our family stand for families" may go some way to redress cult's concerns and then we can all live happily together?

We should take into account any concerns from genuine long standing fans like the cult coz we don't want to lose them and have the place full of schoolkids after all! The average age of the main stand speccie must be about 75 after all and they have probably come to moss lane to get away from their grand kids!!

Jenga

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:34 AM »

I just cannot believe this topic has even been created.

You moan when the attendances are low, you do some work behind the scenes to get school kids and you moan again.

Do we have a club full of Victor Meldrews!!!

Mike

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »

I was sat with my dad in the main stand for the Crawley game, and have to say that I did find it quite annoying having the kids running up and down the stairs throughout the game. It would have been better if the stewards stepped in from the start. I appreciate we need to attract a new batch of supporters, but we should educate them that there are other people there trying to actually watch the game. I did choose to come to Alty over going to watch a premiership match which I had tickets for. I try to get to as many home games as possible, but if that is the way things are going I think we will lose supporters.

That said, it didn\'t help by the fact that the team didn\'t give the most inspiring performance on the pitch.

babybrads

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »

the best place for the kids to go is not in the main stand in my opinion kids will not for 100% stay sat down in the main stand for whole 90 mins i know for sure i wouldnt of when i was young

stewards need to do what they can to control them and parents need to make sure they are behaving ( running around on steps i can see a point) WHO CARES ABOUT NOISE more noise the better should be clad all the kids aint bringing DRUMS and those clapping sticks so i say lay off the moaning

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006, 10:10:31 AM »

Good solution keep the kids in the family stand, thats what its for.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »

Having now had the opportunity to reflect on Saturday and the comments received both directly and via the forum I feel the necessity to comment (sorry)

There are no group of individuals more committed to this Football Club nor more aware of the need to attract both new supporters and additional revenue than the Stewards, who I would remind you again are all volunteers. I find the criticism of the Stewards totally unacceptable and, to be honest very sad.

As has been posted elsewhere the Stewards, in addition to the duties set down in the Safety Procedures Manual (necessary for the Safety Certificate and therefore the operation of the ground) now cover supervision of the Car Park and also the Bar Door.
The Club has a responsibility to provide a certain number of reserved parking spaces for Match Officials, Sponsors, League Officials, the list goes on and without the sterling work of the Steward(s) doing this work, and I would remind you all being abused by people who cannot access the Car Park any more, the Club would fail in its reponsibilities on this issue.
The Bar, as we all know is a great source of Revenue for the Club and therefore its potential should be maximised. Unfortunately the Bar needs a licence and there are requirements incumbent upon the Club as conditions of that licence (together with the Safety Certificate) which necessitate the presence of a Steward on the Bar Door whilst it is open and, in fact until it has been vacated.
Also, very sadly there are people who come in to the Bar area who do try to ‘sneak’ through the back of the Bar thereby gaining entry to the match without paying. Again the Stewarding presence stops this from happening.

Maybe some other kindly individuals would like to assist the Stewarding Staff with these two tasks?

With regard to Saturday and the comments not only of  ‘Cult of’ but also comments made to the Stewarding Staff and myself personally my personal views are as follows.

I concur with the need to attract young supporters into the ground but it cannot be at the cost of current supporters. Many people who have been coming for many years and are ‘guaranteed’ sources of both support and funds quite clearly were very unhappy with events on Saturday and some have indicated that, should these events become too recurrent they would seriously consider whether to continue to provide the support and consequent revenue to the Club.

If an individual parent brings their children, perhaps with a friend or two then in the majority of cases they will, quite correctly in my view, take steps to ensure that the children are adequately supervised and not permitted to run about shrieking and disturbing other people.
I strongly believe that, where groups of children are invited, such as was the case on Saturday (in my view a very positive move) it must be made clear to the accompanying adults that they are expected to exercise a degree of supervision over their charges.

On Saturday the Stewarding staff were put in an invidious position, complaints from regular supporters were responded to by polite requests to the Children to sit down and not to disturb the enjoyment of other supporters. These requests were generally totally ignored and when the Steward(s) spoke again to the Child they were accused of being heavy handed. I personally asked two young children to sit down rather than stand blocking both a staircase out of the stand and the view of other supporters and the away bench and was told , by a parent, that they were only kids and that I should leave them alone.

I feel that the poster who suggested that, should a Child fall down the stairs and injure themselves the Club would not be sued is being, at best naïve and at worst blind to todays litigious society and, what happens if a child careering around the stand trips an elderly spectator who then falls and sustains a serious injury (fractured hip etc)? Do you think that the Club would be excused any responsibility for that?

It has been suggested that the Children be accommodated in the Family Stand, excellent idea, that’s what it’s there for eh? 
Sorry, slight problem – the sponsors who sit in there complaining to the Stewards about the noise and their enjoyment being disturbed.

If, as certain posters have suggested the Children should be welcomed and it is the responsibility of the Stewards to control them without upsetting them or their parents then maybe they’d like to volunteer to help next time we have an influx such as Saturday. (MarkEcky, Ballers, SW over to you)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Since when did the Main Stand at Moss Lane become a creche?