PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thompson
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thompson  (Read 22233 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Thompson
« on: November 18, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

anyone else happy to see the th giant structure that is peter thompson get on today, i also thought he looked like he could be very dangerous given a couple of games to get his match sharpness back, his flick on head which rod messed up@ the end was good  and he gives the defenders a good showing and up against tht brute from morcombe (or wherever!) would not get away with the same as he did with pat if he came up against thommo

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »

He should have replaced O'Neal on the hour!!

He should be given a chance, we need to be scoring more goals, a fullback as leading scorer is a bit scary?

Alex

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:29:37 AM »

did you see the size of him !?!?!?! i knew he was big from what people told me from the reserve games but i think him and little could (with time) turn in to a good partnership. little and Large  (sorry but i had to say it.)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »

Please explain what Joe O'Neil did wrong yesterday to warrant being took off after an hour ?

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:32:06 AM »

Please explain what Joe O'Neil did wrong yesterday to warrant being took off after an hour ?

He should have been taken off at half time. He cannot control the ball! Everytime he had the ball at his feet, a challenge doesn't even have to come in and he falls over and loses the ball. For the life of me I cannot understand why people say he can control the ball. He's bloody awful. I'm not in the minority either. Where I stand everyone was saying the same thing - why can't he stay on his feet or pass the ball?? He needs to bulk up so he doesn't get knocked over too easily or learn how to kick with a little more power than it takes to kick a balloon.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »

CB..did you watch a different game to me.  On at least six occasions that I can recall JOe held it up with his chest or feet.  Was I seeing things?

brian rooney

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »

I think you're being kind. Joe O'Neil was awful from start to finish. His contribution yesterday was nil. I've always tried to give the lad a break in the past by commenting on his energy, his ability to hold the ball up etc. Yesterday he was shocking. Maybe there was a reason that GH took Colin off instead of Joe O'Neil. I couldn't see any.
If we want to stay up, we need to win these games. I'm sick of people saying Crawley are a decent side, full time, would be mid table if it were not for...etc They weren't great at all. In fact, they looked mediocre and doomed to me. Why oh why did we not play the same team that started v York away? Why was Rod dropped to the bench and yet another central midfield player brought in? Crawley also packed the midfield and it was the congestion in the centre circle, along with truly the worst ref in the world, which screwed the game up. Poor Scully on their left (as the only proper wide player with pace on the pitch) looked really frustrated - a fish out of water. Terrible yesterday and I've not complained about a match in a long while. Having Dennis stood next to me at the final whistle merely compounded the agony. Come on GH, let's have more ambition at home. Thomson for O'Neil and Thornley for Owen and we might actually be quite threatening.
AltyBri

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

CB..did you watch a different game to me.  On at least six occasions that I can recall JOe held it up with his chest or feet.  Was I seeing things?

Does holding it up consist of him trying to control the ball on his chest with his arms resulting in the ball bouncing off to the opposition, or maybe having the ball at his feet and him falling to the ground because he's too lightweight to withstand another player coming within a couple of feet of him?

So yeah, I think you were seeing things  :-\

markecky

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 03:47:39 PM »

Must have been the angle that myself and the people I was standing with were at then.  Because a few remarked at how well he was holdng it up, all be it there was no one to lay it off too in the first half.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 06:17:36 PM »

Reason he loses it is because the support is not quick enough to him. Do you really expect him to hold the ball up and cross his arms whilst he waits for others ? Suppose you think he should just pass it pointlessly into space and give it away that way rather than trying to wit for others ?

He is officially the new Jason Gallagher, plenty of poor performers yesterday and he just get singled out straight away and predictably so.

As I said I thought he did ok and he was actually singled out from a mate of mine who has no connection with Alty so that must say something. Probably that he is not being pre-judged before he even plays in our eyes.

I get the feeling people are enjoying him not scoring and love knocking his confidence.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »

Please don't compare Joe O'Neill to Jason Gallagher.

Jason was a far more prolific goalscorer!

I'm certainly NOT enjoying watching him fail to score.
In fact, it's agony!

Why on earth would I want my team to fail to score?
Frankly - what a ludicrous suggestion.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »

what a ludicrous suggestion.

Thought I'd just join in with one of my own as I'm reading enough on here  ;)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »

Gary,

Whatever happened to my two Alty v Bangor City programmes from 1972 then?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »

I bring them with me to every game. They live in my big red 'Flag Bag"  so I don't forget them ;)

Grab me (but don't grip too hard) at a game. If I am there, then so our the progammes.

teasybeaver

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 09:54:39 PM »

Not that i have seen anywhere near enough games this season but i thought O'neill had done well in the games i had seen him, he certainly looked to have a touch of quality. Yesterday he just didnt fit with the game alty were playing. Owen was the most effective player on the pitch and linked up well with little in the 1st half. O'neill may be holding up the ball well but its unfair to say nobody gets to him quickly enough. Its more a case of he can't distribute quick enough. he seems stuck in two minds all the time, and had one shot yesterday.

I understand people saying he doesn't need to score every game but the midfielders all had more attempts than him, Thompson made more impact in 10 minutes, and to be honest he looks like he needs confidence. He won't get that in the conference, he's not doing it for Alty and thats not opinion its fact. Other players aren't doing it either but we have other options now up front and i think Thompson and Little are well worth a go! Joe should be on the bench for a while and be brought on, maybe this will take some pressure off him and the fans and make him hungry.

Obviously this will be ridiculed by the forum stalwarts but lets be honest crawley were for the taking yesterday and we didn't take them because the strikers didn't perform, simple as that!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thompson