PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thompson
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thompson  (Read 22277 times)

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »

no ones mentioned the chance stevie bush had off ov the corner move they did @ the end but he crossed, yes i kno the angle was tite but a good blast from tht range and were home and dry, plus lewis, probably pit aother grand on his transfer value after tht effort lol!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 11:11:15 PM »

i agree that the forwards were off yesterday!!

We needed width and there was none, especially on the left.

The midfield was too crowded and it smcked as I said previously, that we dd not want too loose, we also forgot about winning!!

Thank god for Lewis.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »

Well, it's a game of opinions saint :-\

Joes performances at the moment are consisting largely of good unoticed work coupled with little moments of quality with his quick feet. This is unfortunately coupled with the fact that only (a curently slightly off the pace after injury) Col Little gets around him to play and a lack of belief by every man, woman, child, cat, dog in the ground that he'll actually score.

Last seasons problems were Colin coming to far back to look for the ball due to being isolated and no other partner up front after Robbo left. It's fair to say Joe has solved this somewhat but he isn't going to hold it up for 10 minutes at a time with big defenders clambering all over him like an Alan Shearer or Niall Quinn.

Yesterday, he did fairly weel with the huge Woozeley fouling him constantly, i was at a loss how the ref deemed eevery nudge from the gigantic Steven Rose to be a foul in comparison. ::) However, the fact that he doesn't offer much of a goal threat is putting his all round play under greater scrutiny. ANyone think Rod would have held it up better? No thought not. Hopefully big Thommo will give us an extra dimension that we've been lacking since Marcuss injury and before then Dickie Landon.

Crawley were shaky at times but they were composed enough to stop us building momentum. I think Hiley, Scully, Rendell and Peters would all get a gig at most conference sides tbh. We were good in parts but lacked a bit of surety at times, prob due to the lay off and it is one of the things where part time v full time does come into play a bit. Because of that we couldn't build momentum whcich is what wins us games.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 10:46:30 AM »

The Reason Joe O'Neill was taken off was, i would assume the same reason as most other fixtures - i.e.he was knackered after running his B@**$ off for about an hour.

If you actually look at the amount of running he does without the ball, or to be honest any chance of getting the ball but to make space and pull defenders out of position you'd perhaps concur with my view.

Anyhow he always looks goosed when he comes off

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 12:24:39 PM »

I would agree with the previous comment.

I would therefore suggest we need to change tactics, and have two widemen to take some of the strain and stop banging hopeful balls all the time.

brian rooney

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 01:02:37 PM »

At last! Didn't we play with two wide men v York recently and look pretty good? Started with O'Neil on left and Thornley on right. Packing the midfield out with players is not going to lead to goals and everybody agrees that goals is what we need.
AltyBri

Jacobs

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 01:41:11 PM »

The start of this thread refers to the threat of Thompson. Although I am not slating the guy for his size or movement but where on earth do people get the idea that they would form a good partnership, i am not saying they wont cause i hope they do but what evidence is this from, seriously dont understand.I have watched the reserves with Col and Thomson fit together and they looked very mediocre and before you say i know it was only a reserve game,

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:54 PM »

I have seen Peter in a few reserve games and he has sttll to prove himself. However he has been injured for many months and Colin has also been out.

If anything is going to Gel it will take some time and the Cnference games will make irt difficult, it will be interesting to see if GH tries this option.

Peter appears to be ok with hids head and has a powerfull shot, lets hope he can hit the target!

Jenga

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 09:01:07 AM »

Reason he loses it is because the support is not quick enough to him. Do you really expect him to hold the ball up and cross his arms whilst he waits for others ? Suppose you think he should just pass it pointlessly into space and give it away that way rather than trying to wit for others ?

He is officially the new Jason Gallagher, plenty of poor performers yesterday and he just get singled out straight away and predictably so.

As I said I thought he did ok and he was actually singled out from a mate of mine who has no connection with Alty so that must say something. Probably that he is not being pre-judged before he even plays in our eyes.

I get the feeling people are enjoying him not scoring and love knocking his confidence.

Here Here!!!

I do think some people seem to be unable to comprehend how football should be played.

IT IS A TEAM GAME, not for individuals. Unfortunately Joe cant hold the ball up long enough whilst the other players have a slice of orange and amble up to help him. If that makes Joe a bad player, then sobeit. I do believe some people have no idea about formation, team play and togetherness. But they have great delight in complaining about one of the best players in our team beacuse they have a blinkered view.

NauticaPete

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 12:19:21 AM »

Wasn't at the game on Saturday, however from conference TV Thompson did well, timing of jump for the header was just right.
Could be good for a partnership with Colin. However, we must ensure we don't then adjust our game plan to hoofing it up to Thompson for knock-downs. Variation the key. 
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thompson