PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FC United on Tuesday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: FC United on Tuesday  (Read 11745 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
FC United on Tuesday
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »

As far as I'm concerned let them have the ground for a night (as they want to in the long term) and I am certainly not making the 200 mile roundtrip to 'welcome' the same club that we said would never be welcomed at Moss Lane.

I would hope that Altrincham fans stay away from this game. The club will get 'their' money from the FC United of Manchester fans anyway.

Daycare Dan

Re: FC United on Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »

I never had any intentions of going to the game on Tuesday, and after hearing about Saturday there is no way on Earth I'll be there.

If the club want to put money over safety, fine I know where I stand.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »

I wasn't going to go anyway out of principle, and I urge other Alty fans to boycott the match too.

Went into work this morning to find out my boss had taken his 5 year old son to his first Alty match on Saturday and had to face comments that his son was scared etc. It's sad when a family are unsure of whether to come back. We're Alty FFS, not Millwall :( I've tried to persuade him to come and see a league game (and give the FCUM match a miss!), but I don't think he's going to bring his son back. Very embarrassing :(

Alex

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »

I am yet to decide on wether i will be attending. I feel that the day genuine fans stop attending games because of mindless thugs it will be the end of the beautiful game, i am also not of the oppinion that all FC fans are trouble makers but all clubs with a big following are bound to have eliments that want to cause trouble (look at sailsbury vs southampton) im using this as an exaple, when we went to sailsbury there fans were very warm and welcoming and created a friendly atmosphere however there was a section who are condemed by the genuine support as trouble causers. so i don't think we can tar everyone with the same brush. it's a bit to easy to say all fans of FC are trouble makers because of one incident at our ground 2 years ago - does that make all alty fans trouble causers after the incidents at northwich this year?

for the record i am not in anyway saying saturday is not a big deal i was there and could see the trouble brewing all game.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:41:14 AM by The Duke »

Graham Bennetts Perm

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

For those who are undecided about attending, or for parents thinking about bringing their children, it might be worth knowing in advance:

- will there be a police presence at and around the the ground from the outset?
- will the match be segregated?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:04 AM »

For those who are undecided about attending, or for parents thinking about bringing their children, it might be worth knowing in advance:

- will there be a police presence at and around the the ground from the outset?
- will the match be segregated?

If such measures are required to stage a friendly match at Moss Lane, then it should not proceed.
What a farce.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

brian1925

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »

I am not going and I am not interested.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »

I very rarely attend 'friendlies' as I see them as public training sessions which, although interesting at some levels, would not be enough for the 100 mile or more round trip.
I would go if the opposition was unusual (large or small) or if it was an away ground I hadn't previously visited, or if there were to be some superstars on display.
On the one hand, I think the Tuesday game should go ahead so that the yobs do not win; but on the other, the absence of this kind of behaviour in the '60s was one of the reasons I was attracted to following Alty in the first place (that and 6 goals vs Scarborough!).

Consequently, I don't think that I'll be going on Tuesday because although the match probably should go ahead on principle, I want to register my protest at it having been organised in the first place and reduce the chances of others being organised in the future.
It's not how I want to see things at ML. I know we need money - but surely not that badly?

I don't know who was to blame for saturday - and I don't care - I just know that when big teams and big money get involved it often turns ugly with the lunatic fringes they attract.

Couldn't the police just find some waste land, cordon it off and let anyone who wanted to just go there and fight to the death if that's what they want to do without bothering the real football fans - or the rest of normal humanity?

What a sad state of affairs.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »

I think that it oversteps the boundaries of a "friendly" fixture when the Police need to be consulted on the safety of spectators like this. It's perfectly simple, you just cancel the game or alternatively play it behind closed doors so the players don't lose out.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:17:29 AM »

maybe we should arrange a supporters team match against someone like trafford (a great local club who i would feel better about giving my money too) and all go there instead? (i am still undecided but i thought i would suggest a few alternatives as there appear to be very few other games on tuesday night.)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »

I think that it oversteps the boundaries of a "friendly" fixture when the Police need to be consulted on the safety of spectators like this. It's perfectly simple, you just cancel the game or alternatively play it behind closed doors so the players don't lose out.

You have made an excellent point there. If the club want to play the game so much PLAY IT BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

By not looking at that view it would prove to me the club value the income more than the spectator !

baldrick

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »

We're Alty FFS, not Millwall

Millwall fans have not caused any trouble since the play off semi final against Birmingham in 2002. There have been a few cases where opposing fans have had a go and Millwall have retaliated, but anyone being attacked has the right to fight back. Any problems involving Millwall are always exaggerated. Did you not learn anything from the cup game last season? Millwall fans behaved perfectly. They were a credit to the club. Everyone on here agreed they would be welcome back anytime.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »

These are friendly games. If this was  league match I prob wouldn't care less abotu what happened but its a FRIENDLY and if police need to be called during a friendly match then something is just nto right.....

It would cost us for police presence and I can't get my head round it to cost 'us' for staging a friendly match. Something is not right if thats the case.

Its not like tensions where high and the match mattered to anyone ?

The Fan

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »

Agree with all on this. I don't wish to bash the baord (again) but when you have to release a statement saying you are consulting the police with regards to a friendly, you are answering your own question as to whether the game should be played or not.

This game should never have been arranged PRIOR to Saturday - never mind after the events of Saturday.

I suppose they want us all to "get behind the lads" as usual.

Not for me thanks.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »

We're Alty FFS, not Millwall
Did you not learn anything from the cup game last season?

Patronising much? I meant reputation wise. I don't want people that visited ML on Saturday to think it's always like that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FC United on Tuesday