PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FC United on Tuesday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: FC United on Tuesday  (Read 11842 times)

markecky

Re: FC United on Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34:57 AM »

I've never purposely missed an Alty match, home or away  in any competition but prior to Saturday I stated I would not be there on Tueasday.

Not doubting there are 100's of decent FC united fans but what I saw that night was enough for me.  No interest in looking left and right to see who is hanging about at a friendly thanks. 

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:38:30 AM »

I've never purposely missed an Alty match, home or away  in any competition but prior to Saturday I stated I would not be there on Tueasday.

Not doubting there are 100's of decent FC united fans but what I saw that night was enough for me.  No interest in looking left and right to see who is hanging about at a friendly thanks. 

Ecky,

Spot on.

You stay at home and keep a close eye on the behaviour of that male model who is lodging in your front room.....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altyf

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

I will be attending the game, I'm in no mind to boycott a friendly as I don't think there's much point. The scenes on Saturday were a discrace but we must move on as quickly as possible and boycotting a friendly is no way to do so in my mind. I am not at all condemning those who aren't going because the experiences from FCUM last time were truly horrible. However, the game will be segregated and there'll be a police presence and so I don't think there'll be any trouble this time. With all respect, I don't think the club have decided to play the game out of money, after all, paying for extra stewards and police will cost quite a bit extra. I think its been done out of principle. I don't want to be seen as the club that calls off a friendly and I'm sure the club will be taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of everyone in the ground.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »

I will be attending the game, I'm in no mind to boycott a friendly as I don't think there's much point. The scenes on Saturday were a discrace but we must move on as quickly as possible and boycotting a friendly is no way to do so in my mind. I am not at all condemning those who aren't going because the experiences from FCUM last time were truly horrible. However, the game will be segregated and there'll be a police presence and so I don't think there'll be any trouble this time. With all respect, I don't think the club have decided to play the game out of money, after all, paying for extra stewards and police will cost quite a bit extra. I think its been done out of principle. I don't want to be seen as the club that calls off a friendly and I'm sure the club will be taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of everyone in the ground.

Without wishing to be rude, the Club can play the game out of their principles ...

And I'll not attend out of mine.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »

I think its been done out of principle.

I find this statement utterly confusing. What are the principles involved in going ahead with this match?

Surely there would be a greater principle involved in calling it off?

altyf

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »

I think its been done out of principle.

I find this statement utterly confusing. What are the principles involved in going ahead with this match?

Surely there would be a greater principle involved in calling it off?

I believe that by playing the match we are trying to avoid gaining a bad reputation by calling off a friendly, and as I said before, this way we can move on from the terrible events of Saturday. I completely take on board the fact that its ridiculous that stewards and police are needed for a friendly but after all, we are going to have to deal with large numbers of Mansfield, Wrexham and Northwich fans this year and so dealing with the FCUM fans could actually re-assure people that we are capable of handling trouble makers.

altyf

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »

Without wishing to be rude, the Club can play the game out of their principles ...

And I'll not attend out of mine.

And as I said before, I have no problem with any Alty fan not attending after witnessing the scenes both on Saturday and in the last friendly with FCUM.

Alty365

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »

I take on board your point and see where you are coming from. However, I still think that in this situation we could have called off the match without any fear of losing the moral high ground.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »

I have no problem with any Alty fan not attending after witnessing the scenes both on Saturday and in the last friendly with FCUM.

Precisely.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

James Black

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »

hello earth to every Alty Fan not going apart from Gaz Warrington why the hell are you staying at home if we can't feel safe in our own ground then why will we feel safe travelling to wrexham. get there get behind the boys and let football win not some f**king animals

markecky

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 11:07:05 AM »

I don't think its right to compare Saturdays (or tomorrows) security arrangements to that of the Wrexham game for example.

I'm pretty sure that the Wrexham game will involve much planning with the Wrexham police and GMP, officers  in the town, discussions with landlords,  intelligence used etc and it will pass off without a hitch.

We don't need to prove that the 12 superb volunteers from Saturday can handle Wrexham (for example, not picking on them)  because the circumstances will be very different.

markecky

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »

hello earth to every Alty Fan not going apart from Gaz Warrington why the hell are you staying at home if we can't feel safe in our own ground then why will we feel safe travelling to wrexham. get there get behind the boys and let football win not some f**king animals

I think there is a thread somewhere with reasons for not attending.

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »

As usual James you have spectacularly missed the point. No friendly game should require liaison with local police and/or segregation. A lot of Alty fans never wanted this fixture to take place after what happened a couple of years ago and are therefore voting with their feet.

As I could also not give two sh*ts whether we win or lose this game I fail to see why it is necessary to "get behind the lads" for a pointless friendly. As I said previously it can be played behind closed doors for all I care.

altyf

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »

I don't think its right to compare Saturdays (or tomorrows) security arrangements to that of the Wrexham game for example.

I'm pretty sure that the Wrexham game will involve much planning with the Wrexham police and GMP, officers  in the town, discussions with landlords,  intelligence used etc and it will pass off without a hitch.

We don't need to prove that the 12 superb volunteers from Saturday can handle Wrexham (for example, not picking on them)  because the circumstances will be very different.

Fair point, but I still think that by going ahead with the FCUM game we can improve the image of the club in the eyes of some of the parents that were put off on Saturday and maybe bring back some of the first timers that I'm sure were horrified by the week-ends events. I'm not comparing the security measures of tomorrow and Wrexham I'm just saying it may show we can handle trouble makers and Saturday was a one off.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »

For me, it's not so much about safety as being totally the wrong atmosphere I wish to be part of in a "friendly" match.

A case in point being I'll be going to the game at Wrexham with several Wrexham fans who live around here. There may be some nutters at the game, but the police will deal with them - they're used to it.

For the vast majority of us, there's bound to be banter and mickey-taking and that's another reason why I'll be there - because it's fun.

Violence at friendly games aren't and the only way to influence the Club to discontinue games such as this in the future is not to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FC United on Tuesday