PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "HEATHCOTE IN" continued
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "HEATHCOTE IN" continued  (Read 9396 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
"HEATHCOTE IN" continued
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »

You win some, you lose some, I'm just glad we won the one at Stoke, because there was a time when I despaired of ever seeing Conference football at Alty again. At the end of the day, we are basically in the same situation as last season , with a lot of new players, except this time they are slightly better hence 5 points from six games instead of three from ten (after which we still nearly stayed up).

Frankly I've got better things to do than get into arguments about Heathcote's suitability. Personally I prefer to celebrate the fact we got back to the Conference and stayed there despite everything that's been thrown at us (and that includes a certain Accrington chairman). If other people prefer to slate Heathcote's record then that's their problem.

Unfortunately for Heathcote this sort of nonsense goes with the territory, and I have great respect for him sticking it out despite the same stuff year after year. Btw, I'm convinced we will stay up. Honestly, we haven't even been in the bottom 4 yet. If we had an extended spell in the bottom 4 then people might have an excuse for whinging. Then again, maybe not as there's only about 4 part time teams in this league. Life's difficult, Alty will lose some matches, get used to it!

PS I wonder how many people are asking for the manager out at Oxford, Torquay, Stevenage?

Alty365

Re: "HEATHCOTE IN" continued
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

Captain Bum-Lick!  :P

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:42 PM »

Actually Hugh although often you talk absolute nonsense.......I'm sure you'd agree........this actually makes sense and I agree with you!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »

We want Heathcote in I say we want Heathcote in...

VofD

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »

Who are "We"?

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »

Bernard Taylors barmy army

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »

I know i have been guilty of some friendly trolling on here, so don't take this the wrong way, as i'm asking a couple of serious questions...

After successive relegations, and constant struggling at this level, with not much signs of progression under Heathcote, why are so many of you blindly behind him?

Don't you sometimes think a change would be for the better? Fresh ideas, fresh tactical nous, a new face about the place etc....?

Most fans of clubs in our league are screaming for the manager out after two defeats on the trot.... yet 99% of Alty fans seem to be fully behind Graham Heathcote at all times, despite reading on here from many of you, complaints about dreadful football at times, confrontations with fans, swearing at people and so on.... yet not many say he should go (bar of course a couple of numpties, but every club has them).

In a way, i'm quite envious of the way you get behind him in your toughest times. When we've struggled, mass arguments have broken out, there have been nasty atmosphere's at games and more, generally ruining things for other fans. I just find this kinda strange, if you get me.

Fair play though, it must create a good sense of unity between you all.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »

We were calling for his head at the end of last season with the relegation. But with improved football so far and a host of new good players it is definetly worth giving him a full chance to impress this time round.

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

After successive relegations, and constant struggling at this level, with not much signs of progression under Heathcote, why are so many of you blindly behind him?
We did not have successive relegations; we finished in the relegation places but stayed up as our club was managed within our means. As for not much signs of progression: we got into the Conference 3 years ahead of schedule and, for the last 2 seasons, we have not had anything like the same amount of time as other teams to prepare a squad.
We are not blindly behind GH, we are aware of failings, but with no sign of Ferguson or McKenna taking over we realise he is as good as we can get - and he does have more loyalty to Alty than probably any other manager to any other team.

Don't you sometimes think a change would be for the better? Fresh ideas, fresh tactical nous, a new face about the place etc....?
Graham Barrow!

"Most fans of clubs in our league are screaming for the manager out after two defeats on the trot.... yet 99% of Alty fans seem to be fully behind Graham Heathcote at all times, despite reading on here from many of you, complaints about dreadful football at times, confrontations with fans, swearing at people and so on.... yet not many say he should go (bar of course a couple of numpties, but every club has them)."
Even the most pro GH of us have had our doubts at times, but, knowing that the board is 100% behind GH, support him. We have also been supremely embarrassed about some of GH's conduct - it has occassionally been beyond reason.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

Who are "We"?

Sorry, forgot about you  ;) O and Wonderthingymajig

bighairedmike

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:50:40 PM »

I know i have been guilty of some friendly trolling on here, so don't take this the wrong way, as i'm asking a couple of serious questions...

Most fans of clubs in our league are screaming for the manager out after two defeats on the trot.... yet 99% of Alty fans seem to be fully behind Graham Heathcote at all times, despite reading on here from many of you, complaints about dreadful football at times, confrontations with fans, swearing at people and so on.... yet not many say he should go (bar of course a couple of numpties, but every club has them).

In a way, i'm quite envious of the way you get behind him in your toughest times. When we've struggled, mass arguments have broken out, there have been nasty atmosphere's at games and more, generally ruining things for other fans. I just find this kinda strange, if you get me.

As people have said elsewhere it is not so much blind allegiance more that we know what he can do and he has proved he does have the tactical nouse to do what is best for the team. Sometimes this may be wrong in his team selection (as people who went to eastbourne will tell you) but he then makes up for it later with some brilliant tactical situations. I know its the old part time/full time thing but sometimes there aren't many excuses and you can accept you have just been outclassed.

Your second point is one that a lot of people have raised, and they all get the same answer. If he were to leave/be kicked out, who would you get in to do a better job and more importantly, who would want to come to Alty, a small club (because we are) punching above our weight which i, personally, believe we are and whohave one of the smallest budgets in the league. If there was a sensible suggestion put forward, and i repeat sensible here, then i would not have a problem with this. But as people continually ask the question and provide no answer when others ask another question it is hardly surprising that they get shouted down. Especially as it is the same people all the time.

Yes there have been times when i have thought Grahame has lost the plot and i don't agree with his attitude to people that question him i still think he has what it takes to be a successful manager at this level. His knowledge of the non league game is exceptional and if you had said to me before pre season we would sign an accredited full time left back, a highly sought after winger that would turn down big spending full time clubs to come to us, and a promoted player that has been the thorn in our defense so many times as well as a target man, a good solid central defender and also tied down to of our best players from last season despite better offers for one as well as generally bolstering the squad with some other quality signings (Danylyk, Meechan, Street (who i think will do well given time)) then i wouldn't have believed you. But he has and for that i think he deserves a fair crack at doing what he said he wants to do, and using the players that he thinks are good enough to keep us up.

And as you say, we are all united to the cause (except the obvious few) and, when you see other clubs in disarray and fnas arguing with each other on match days, not just on the forums and the like, it does make you realise that alty is one big family and that everyone wants what is best for the club.

So there we go, bit of an essay but hope i answered a few of your questions.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:38 PM »

Maybe thats what it is though. Smaller club where people think their opinions count. I just think people getting on his back after 6 games is rediculous. To compare Alty to other clubs is a bit misleading. 99% of people on here are realistic and would be happy just to stay up and think in the situation GH is the best person. If for instance you have Westley saying I GUARANTEE Stevenage will be promoted this year to the directors and at Christmas are way off the mark, he's gonna be fired, simple.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »

As people have said elsewhere it is not so much blind allegiance more that we know what he can do and he has proved he does have the tactical nouse to do what is best for the team. Sometimes this may be wrong in his team selection (as people who went to eastbourne will tell you) but he then makes up for it later with some brilliant tactical situations. I know its the old part time/full time thing but sometimes there aren't many excuses and you can accept you have just been outclassed.

Your second point is one that a lot of people have raised, and they all get the same answer. If he were to leave/be kicked out, who would you get in to do a better job and more importantly, who would want to come to Alty, a small club (because we are) punching above our weight which i, personally, believe we are and whohave one of the smallest budgets in the league. If there was a sensible suggestion put forward, and i repeat sensible here, then i would not have a problem with this. But as people continually ask the question and provide no answer when others ask another question it is hardly surprising that they get shouted down. Especially as it is the same people all the time.

Yes there have been times when i have thought Grahame has lost the plot and i don't agree with his attitude to people that question him i still think he has what it takes to be a successful manager at this level. His knowledge of the non league game is exceptional and if you had said to me before pre season we would sign an accredited full time left back, a highly sought after winger that would turn down big spending full time clubs to come to us, and a promoted player that has been the thorn in our defense so many times as well as a target man, a good solid central defender and also tied down to of our best players from last season despite better offers for one as well as generally bolstering the squad with some other quality signings (Danylyk, Meechan, Street (who i think will do well given time)) then i wouldn't have believed you. But he has and for that i think he deserves a fair crack at doing what he said he wants to do, and using the players that he thinks are good enough to keep us up.

And as you say, we are all united to the cause (except the obvious few) and, when you see other clubs in disarray and fnas arguing with each other on match days, not just on the forums and the like, it does make you realise that alty is one big family and that everyone wants what is best for the club.

So there we go, bit of an essay but hope i answered a few of your questions.

Group hug  :-*

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »

Cheers for the quality responses, made for very interesting reading.

Alty Phil

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »

We're not going to get anyone better than GH who wants to come to us seeing as we haven't paid a transfer fee in about 3 years (no bad thing seeing as we have people that run the club properly) so we need to stick by him. It might be a cliche but he is 'Mr Non League' and he's the best person to help us survive, and in the next few seasons, move forward.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 "HEATHCOTE IN" continued