PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 You can't argue with the facts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: You can't argue with the facts  (Read 15358 times)

Alty365

« on: September 13, 2008, 11:20:51 PM »

I didn't go today so I can't comment directly on our performance. However, here are a few basic facts regarding our current situation:

1. We haven't scored a goal since August 25th. This is simply not good enough.
2. If you discount the opening day win at Woking, we have failed to score away from home at all this season.
3. We have not won in our opening 4 home games.
4. We are barely registering any shots on target, let alone scoring goals.
5. We have reverted back to a fairly negative style of play, despite signing a lot of attacking players in the summer.
6. We have players capable of playing good football and scoring goals but they are not doing either.
7. Our manager has carried on his petulant rowing with opposition fans and general embarrassing behaviour.
8. Being part-time and not having money are no longer excuses for under-performing - Barrow have proven this to be a myth.
9. We are nearly a quarter of the way through the season and we only have 6 points!
10. We have not won in 8 games.

So......

Do we replace the manager?
Do we just accept another 8 months of this sh*t followed by relegation?
Do we hold out some false hope that the pattern of the last 2 years will break itself and we'll suddenly start winning games on a regular basis?

Geoff Goodwin and the board have done great things for this club. Let's be fair, they dragged us out of the sh*t and helped us back to where we are now. They have done countless good deeds for Altrincham F.C. Furthermore, Graham Heathcote did a great job to get us here, sometimes taking unwarranted flak from certain well-known detractors. However, in more recent times the criticism has often been justified and we seem to be stuck in a repetitive cycle of poor league performances and 11th hour reprieves.

Sometimes to break the cycle you have to approach the situation from a new perspective, freshen things up. I believe our board, to a man, is intelligent and strong-minded enough to realise that a change of personnel might just be what the doctor ordered, if they consider the welfare of the club to be more important than that of their good friend the manager.

I understand there are emotional ties, this is a tight-knit club with strong bonds. The bottom line is the club must ALWAYS come first and I would eternally respect the board and manager alike if they took the sensible step while there is still time. Freshen it up, get a new man in and keep this club in the Blue Square Premier - relegation is not an option!

I really am sorry to say this but we are nearly a quarter of the way through the season already and nothing has changed from last year. There comes a time when we have to say enough is enough.  Thank you for everything, but please make way for someone else, there is no room for sentiment.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: You can't argue with the facts
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:01:54 AM »

I didn't go today so I can't comment directly on our performance. However, here are a few basic facts regarding our current situation:

1. We haven't scored a goal since August 25th. This is simply not good enough.
2. If you discount the opening day win at Woking, we have failed to score away from home at all this season.
3. We have not won in our opening 4 home games.
4. We are barely registering any shots on target, let alone scoring goals.
5. We have reverted back to a fairly negative style of play, despite signing a lot of attacking players in the summer.
6. We have players capable of playing good football and scoring goals but they are not doing either.
7. Our manager has carried on his petulant rowing with opposition fans and general embarrassing behaviour.
8. Being part-time and not having money are no longer excuses for under-performing - Barrow have proven this to be a myth.
9. We are nearly a quarter of the way through the season and we only have 6 points!
10. We have not won in 8 games.

So......

Do we replace the manager?
Do we just accept another 8 months of this sh*t followed by relegation?
Do we hold out some false hope that the pattern of the last 2 years will break itself and we'll suddenly start winning games on a regular basis?

Geoff Goodwin and the board have done great things for this club. Let's be fair, they dragged us out of the sh*t and helped us back to where we are now. They have done countless good deeds for Altrincham F.C. Furthermore, Graham Heathcote did a great job to get us here, sometimes taking unwarranted flak from certain well-known detractors. However, in more recent times the criticism has often been justified and we seem to be stuck in a repetitive cycle of poor league performances and 11th hour reprieves.

Sometimes to break the cycle you have to approach the situation from a new perspective, freshen things up. I believe our board, to a man, is intelligent and strong-minded enough to realise that a change of personnel might just be what the doctor ordered, if they consider the welfare of the club to be more important than that of their good friend the manager.

I understand there are emotional ties, this is a tight-knit club with strong bonds. The bottom line is the club must ALWAYS come first and I would eternally respect the board and manager alike if they took the sensible step while there is still time. Freshen it up, get a new man in and keep this club in the Blue Square Premier - relegation is not an option!

I really am sorry to say this but we are nearly a quarter of the way through the season already and nothing has changed from last year. There comes a time when we have to say enough is enough.  Thank you for everything, but please make way for someone else, there is no room for sentiment.

spot on

stubmanred

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

Excellent post. Have a goodwin

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »

agree!
Its like groundhog day at Alty and will only end when Graham does the right thing! ::)

VofD

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »

Alty 365. Well said.

Dynamo Joe

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »

Well said!

Beez

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:27:40 PM »

I highly doubt that i will read a better post all season.

Garveys Brother

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »

I agree with some of the things you said, BUT:

1. Who would take over for GH
2. If GH is struggling, why would we expect someone new, who might not know the team very well, to fix all this.

As well as this, us not scoring goals is not all Gh's fault. I listened to the Stevenage games on the radio and we had clear chances to score, but we didn't because the player who took the shot scuffed it up. Lastly, stop saying a fresh start. With the few rescources we have, I would be surprised if a new manager would change much because we simply don't have players who can just be switched around and be expected to be better.

If you answer these questions then I will fully agree with you, but until these questions are answered we can't get a new manger.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »

the fans at alty have been extremely patient with him,it wouldnt at happen at 99% of other clubs

Jacko

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »

IMO whatever happens to alty this season (up or down) theres gonna be some changes in that department anyway, i feel this season is the end of an era

Garveys Brother

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:56:57 PM »

IMO whatever happens to alty this season (up or down) theres gonna be some changes in that department anyway, i feel this season is the end of an era

Its oly ending because fans who think that they could do a better job than GH are too impatient to see if we can stay up.

markecky

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »

"I listened to the Stevenage games on the radio and we had clear chances to score, but we didn't because the player who took the shot scuffed it up"

That must have been them being polite then because apart from 15 mins at the start of the second half where we managed more than two passes, we were defending constantly.

Stevenage will never have a more routine home win and thats what hurts me.  I just wanted to makea fight of it, and say we gave it a damn good go but were beaten by Morrisons class or something.

Garveys Brother

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »

That must have been them being polite the because apart from 15 mins at the start of the second half where we managed more than two passes, we were defending constantly.

Your over exagerating, we had at least 2 chances in the middle of the 1st half and 2 more in the first half, if wed taken them it would have been 4-3 to alty

Alty365

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »

That must have been them being polite the because apart from 15 mins at the start of the second half where we managed more than two passes, we were defending constantly.

Your over exagerating, we had at least 2 chances in the middle of the 1st half and 2 more in the first half, if wed taken them it would have been 4-3 to alty

Who are you to question what he SAW AT THE GAME, when you only heard a vague description of what happened on the radio?

bighairedmike

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »

you're argument consists on what you have heard on the radio and its against someone who was there?

I think i know who i'm more likely to believe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team