News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 will he...wont he?

Author Topic: will he...wont he?  (Read 3019 times)

dino

will he...wont he?
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »

i cannot see heathcote voluntarily leaving such a good job, and the supporters are pretty helpless to initiate  swift closure on this issue, given the current structure of the club. With the current circumstances and subsequent stand off, a clearer way forward would be for the club to acknowledge the unsatisfactory performance of the manager and give an acceptable period over which further assessment would be made,and a decision  given. i would suggest 5 games

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: will he...wont he?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »

What gets me is its not the results but the performances. I just want an improved performance on Saturday,.
Its not fair to judge if we absol batter them but unluckily lose 1-0 with them only having one shot.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »

That is actually fairly reasonable Dino. I'm very curious as to how the players would react if GH came in and said he's got 5 games to save his skin. We'd see how much they really do think of him.

fwiw, a generally regarded period of assessment appears to be up until the FA Cup qualifiers. That seems to be the norm (25th Oct btw).

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »

Just where exactly do people expect Alty to finish in this league?

Alty are competing against teams with crowds 3 or 4 times the size of Alty's. Plus many of the teams seemingly have sugar daddy's.

In almost every league in England the clubs with more resources usually (by and large) finish near the top.

Prime example - the Premiership. Richest clubs Man U Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool repeatedly at the top.

Why should this league be different.

Did I see a statement recently that Alty haven't paid a transfer fee for 7 years?

GH has bugger all money to spend on players wages, and nowt for transfer fees.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:33 PM »

Once again, another missing the point entirely. NOBODY (unless certifiable) is expecting us to blaze a trail in this league. I think most, if not all, expect us to struggle given our limited resources.

We are always going to be involved in a mini-league of potentially around 8 teams at the bottom. What most object to is the style in which we have approached the task. No complaints from most if we actually give it a go. On paper we are far from the poorest team in this league.

Oh, and there are teams with lower crowds than us doing better than us.

Just where exactly do people expect Alty to finish in this league?

Alty are competing against teams with crowds 3 or 4 times the size of Alty's. Plus many of the teams seemingly have sugar daddy's.

In almost every league in England the clubs with more resources usually (by and large) finish near the top.

Prime example - the Premiership. Richest clubs Man U Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool repeatedly at the top.

Why should this league be different.

Did I see a statement recently that Alty haven't paid a transfer fee for 7 years?

GH has bugger all money to spend on players wages, and nowt for transfer fees.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

Not sure that I understand why anyone defending the current manager is deemed to be "missing the point" or "backing him out of blind loyalty" (as I've read elsewhere).

It could be that the best Alty are ever going to do is bottom half of the conference.

The facts are that Alty are in a league of financial heavyweights competing against teams with crowds 3 or 4 times the size, with owners prepared to throw money at the club.

How many clubs in this league are part time? 4, 5, 6? not many.

I can't say that I'm exactly delighted by what I've seen this season, but at least I've got to see Alty play in this league, unlike Scarborough and Halifax fans.

The team is gelling, and having a tough time of it. It's only 9 games old.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »

Not sure that I understand why anyone defending the current manager is deemed to be "missing the point" or "backing him out of blind loyalty" (as I've read elsewhere).

It could be that the best Alty are ever going to do is bottom half of the conference.

The facts are that Alty are in a league of financial heavyweights competing against teams with crowds 3 or 4 times the size, with owners prepared to throw money at the club.

How many clubs in this league are part time? 4, 5, 6? not many.

I can't say that I'm exactly delighted by what I've seen this season, but at least I've got to see Alty play in this league, unlike Scarborough and Halifax fans.

The team is gelling, and having a tough time of it. It's only 9 games old.

Bravo sir. Couldn't agree more.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

No, nobody is suggesting you are missing the point because you are backing the manager. This is all about opinions and yours are as valid as anybody else's. There is no right and wrong as such.

You are missing the point of the arguments being put forward by those who want change.

For the last time, because this is getting so tiresome it's making my dick weep. We all understand the small part-time club in a big boys league. Nobody is expecting us to be anywhere other than the bottom half. We just want to see some fight and spirit, players played to their strengths and the best obtained from them. This does not necessarily equate to points or league positions, but to players putting in a performance. It isn't a lot to ask for.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

markecky

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

No, nobody is suggesting you are missing the point because you are backing the manager. This is all about opinions and yours are as valid as anybody else's. There is no right and wrong as such.

You are missing the point of the arguments being put forward by those who want change.

For the last time, because this is getting so tiresome it's making my dick weep. We all understand the small part-time club in a big boys league. Nobody is expecting us to be anywhere other than the bottom half. We just want to see some fight and spirit, players played to their strengths and the best obtained from them. This does not necessarily equate to points or league positions, but to players putting in a performance. It isn't a lot to ask for.

Now that is spot on.  Its about attitude and desire not results against teams who are miles bigger than us.  As you say, its getting tedious now but I'll say it again.  I can take losing to Stevenage.  I cannot take losing without a whimper.

Narcissist

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »

Call me certifiable, but I expected to be higher than where we are.

If we were in this position with 4 or 5 more points it wouldnt be so bad and we would be able to say that the standard of teams was high enough to keep us down the league. At least then we'd get beaten because we simply werent the better team. I dont think this is the case. This squad of players could do better. We're losing games because the other team wanted it more.

And as for an ultimatum. Can you see the board having the balls to tell him he has five games? It would be a good idea though, gives the club time to seek potential replacements and making it public alerts candidates.

Shame it will never ever happen, and I think this is no secret so finding a replacement will be an after the event job.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »

No, nobody is suggesting you are missing the point because you are backing the manager. This is all about opinions and yours are as valid as anybody else's. There is no right and wrong as such. You are missing the point of the arguments being put forward by those who want change. For the last time, because this is getting so tiresome it's making my dick weep. We all understand the small part-time club in a big boys league. Nobody is expecting us to be anywhere other than the bottom half. We just want to see some fight and spirit, players played to their strengths and the best obtained from them. This does not necessarily equate to points or league positions, but to players putting in a performance. It isn't a lot to ask for.

That is exactly the point, Uncle G. Have a 'G'!

I remember when we went into the old NPL after having won the CL twice and finishing second in the last season. We went into the season expecting to win the league. It took time to re-adjust our aspirations amongst clubs with more money like Wigan, Boston, Morecambe etc.,
We ended up going for the fun of it rather than the result per se and were all the less stressed for that.
Having said that though, we ALWAYS expected, and usually got, effort and heart - that's the very least I expect - and GH should know that as well as anyone.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 will he...wont he?