PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Game
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today's Game  (Read 12962 times)

andyc

Today's Game
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:42:14 PM »

The difference today was Daryl Clare up front for Burton. Colin Little should have put us 1 up with the chip over there keeper but down the other end Clare showed how to do it when Coburn & Munroe messed up. We should start at home with 2 recognised strikers, Thornley should have started. We were a bit unlucky in front of goal but with Little not fit why have him up front holding the ball up when we need him running towards goal. Lawton is clearly better driving into the box from midfield. If we're not more positive at home the wins we need won't come and the bottom 4 beckons. I also don't like Lewis Chalmers on the right wing, what a waste. We need a right winger and a proven goalscorer in January if Craney is sold to Swansea.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Game
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:54:23 PM »

Agree totally with the above, couldn't believe we started with just Little up front, but having said that thought we played decent controlled football. The thing missing is the quality ball in. Apart from needing a right wiger the only change I'd enforce is making Lawton captain, not only is he the most vocal but he physically drives the team forward.

At the end of the day we picked up no points, edged nearer the drop zone and have a massive two league to come, in which we need 4 pts.

Full time and proud of it

andyc

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »

Agree that Lawton should be captain as Bushell for me has done nothing recently and constantly drops too deep to take the ball off the centre halves. This would be ok if it was Band & Talbot but Rose & Munroe can quite comfortably bring the ball out of defence.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:08:21 PM »

I too was suprised too see only one striker!!

However in the first half we were better than Burton, if we had not let them in with sloppy defending we could have been leading. Colin missed by inches, with an excellent shot under pressure. There goalie also made a few good stops.

GH changed things second half but Potts looked inept and should have chased the ball near the end,when colin chased through.

I would agree that we need new les on the wing, however if we play like we did today we should win more than loose?

As for Clare, I was behind the line of his shot, I was amazed how much it curled, it was either the wind or genius!!!

Colin played welloday and got some reward, considering he is still injured I take my hat off to him.

brian rooney

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:42:08 PM »

First of all I'd like to say how well we did today against a team who I had previously thought should be flattered to be fourth, but now believe actually have a chance to go up this year. Burton were unbelievable and for large parts of the game we were more than a match for them. Thought Robbie Lawton in particular was outstanding, as were several other members of the Alty team and in general it was one of our best performances of the season, despite the score. We really should have secured a draw from that game and I know it's been said before, but starting the game with just one striker at home to such a fine side is suicidal. Yes, it is easier to comment about things from the sidelines and the manager does have important decisions to make, which he is qualified to do, but today GH cost us BIG TIME. It would make a refreshing change for him to come out, hold his hands up and admit to an almighty cock up. For those posters, who will undoubtedly defend him, how good did we look when Rod came on in the second half. Yes, Burton did realx a bit, but I seriously believe we ran them ragged when we started attacking a surprisingly fragile central defence. We will go down unless we are a little bolder in our home games, even the most optimistic and positive fans must agree. Please, please, two strikers for our next home game. Where on Earth was Peter Thomson?
AltyBri

man in the stand

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 08:50:03 PM »

Good crowd - exciting match and plenty of goals too.  Alty looked much better up front with Lawton and Little pity about our defensive error...

We were as good as Burton for most of the time and two goals against a team that has conceded so few is pleasing.

If we can carry on in this vein we can stay up....

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »

Peter Thomson played for the reserves.

brian rooney

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

Why?

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »

I have not got a clue.

VofD

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 03:06:05 PM »

I agree with Brian Rooney that GH cost us BIG TIME yesterday. Apart from his team selection and tactics ( if indeed he had some kind of tactical plan), what really annoyed me was that he sent all 11 players into the penalty box to defend the free kick, and they COULDN'T, which led to Burton's third. Everytime we have to defend a corner, he sends them all into the box and if it does get cleared, it just comes right back again because NOT ONE player is up front. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Daycare Dan

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »

Why did GH cost us big time yesterday??

He played the same formation that worked away at Grays last week. I agree we looked at lot better when Rod came on in the second hafl, but IMO we were never really out played, couple of mistakes at the back cost us two goals. Their forwards took the chances that came their way, ours did not. I think GH set the stall out yestrday to contain Burton first, and then work towards a goal. Little did look isolated up on his own, maybe becuase Lawton is best breaking from midfield with the ball rather the arriving without it, something we only really got from the old legs of Owen.

GH kept us up last season and I have no doubt he will again this year.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »

First of all I'd like to say how well we did today against a team who I had previously thought should be flattered to be fourth, but now believe actually have a chance to go up this year. Burton were unbelievable and for large parts of the game we were more than a match for them. Thought Robbie Lawton in particular was outstanding, as were several other members of the Alty team and in general it was one of our best performances of the season, despite the score. We really should have secured a draw from that game and I know it's been said before, but starting the game with just one striker at home to such a fine side is suicidal. Yes, it is easier to comment about things from the sidelines and the manager does have important decisions to make, which he is qualified to do, but today GH cost us BIG TIME. It would make a refreshing change for him to come out, hold his hands up and admit to an almighty cock up. For those posters, who will undoubtedly defend him, how good did we look when Rod came on in the second half. Yes, Burton did realx a bit, but I seriously believe we ran them ragged when we started attacking a surprisingly fragile central defence. We will go down unless we are a little bolder in our home games, even the most optimistic and positive fans must agree. Please, please, two strikers for our next home game. Where on Earth was Peter Thomson?
AltyBri

Im sure people will defend GH cos he has done a fantasic job at the club, however i must admit myself i was surprised at the original line up
Come on you red and white........

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 07:18:23 PM »

I agree with Brian Rooney that GH cost us BIG TIME yesterday. Apart from his team selection and tactics ( if indeed he had some kind of tactical plan)

Graham said before the match that Burton are a side that beat teams by having a lot of possession of the ball, without the ball they can't play. I suspect this is why he played the side he did, to try and control the midfield and limit the amount of possession Burton were able to enjoy. They sound like tactics to me.

what really annoyed me was that he sent all 11 players into the penalty box to defend the free kick, and they COULDN'T, which led to Burton's third.

So you admit that it wasn't actually his fault, but the players for not defending the free kick properly?

It seems a very odd way to criticise someone by stating that they were doing the best they could and it was the fault of others that a goal was conceded.

Everytime we have to defend a corner, he sends them all into the box and if it does get cleared, it just comes right back again because NOT ONE player is up front. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Perhaps, but that isn't the reason Burton scored any of their goals yesterday is it?
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »

Very well put indeed
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 10:19:21 AM »

The first goal came about through a cock up at the back, the second one was a very good finish but it wasn't cleared properly, the third goal was poor marking.  Overall a good battling performance was spoiled by very sloppy defending.  I don't think GH can be directly blamed for that.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Game