PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Game
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Today's Game  (Read 12963 times)

brian rooney

Re: Today's Game
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 11:33:32 AM »

GH has performed miracles at Alty and there is no doubt that we wouldn't be where we are if it were not for him. However, we are all falible and for me, his tactics on Saturday cost us dearly. Obviously, you can't account for individual defensive errors, but I stand by my point that we will certainly go down unless we are a little bolder at home. One up front away from home is fine (wonderful result v Grays), but when we start employing the same tactics at home (where presumably a huge majority of our points will come) it sends out the wrong message to the opposition. I can understand Jimmy's point about curbing Burton's style of play, but surely the point of the game is trying to score more goals than the opposition. Rod ran at surprisingly ordinary looking Burton defenders when he came on and surely Thomson's height v the hugely physical Tinson would have helped put some doubt in the minds of Burton's players.
For the record, we played really well and it was a very enjoyable match. It just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when you think we had enough talent to have got at least a draw from the match. As it stands, it's another loss at home and hopefully it won't affect confidence too much. Two up front at home from now on PLEASE.

ioko

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 12:25:07 PM »

I agree 110%. GH is a legend but that shouldnt mean that he is beyond reproach.

We (although improving) are not the best away from home and thus need to take points from our home games. We have to play two up front at home especially. GH (in my opinion), got it wrong.

On a final note, is anyone else losing patience will Potts? I heard him described as "inept" in another post on here and I think thats pretty fair. Im sure the "he just needs to get fit" line will be regurgutated but I just dont think hes up to it. 

Jenga

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »

I wasnt at the game on Saturday as I was on my death bed at home.

I have read the comments above and would like to ask the following questions :-

1) Have our results this season improved?
2) Are we getting thumped 5-0 regularly?
3) Are we playing better football?
4) Are we improving all over the field from last year?
5) Are the crowds improving?
6) Had we played 2 up front against Burton would we have got beat by more than 2-3?
7) How often do you think the tactics we play are incorrect?
8 ) Joe O'Neill for captain, were people not calling for his head not so long ago?
9) We should play Thomson, unproven in the Conference, against a team who are now in third place?
10) Should we have guest beers in the club house? - sorry couldnt think of a good 10th question.

Come on guys get a grip of the bad comments and think about the improvements.

I am not saying our league position is not worrying. It is getting critical, and we now need 6 points from Northwich and Kiddy. This is acheiveable. If we can score 2 against Burton with one up front at home, then I am sure we can get a few against Vics and Kiddy - I hope you get my point here.

I repeat I was not at the game, the above are just general questions perhaps we should remind ourselves of.

alty11

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »

in reply to ur 6th question -

i personally think we cud have taken 3points if we started with 4,4,2. with the 4,5,1 there was too many bodies in the middle they was getting in each others way and it was impossible to form frequent attacks. GH needs to be decisive and drop one of the midfielders, i agree they have all played well but we need to attack these teams, not sit back and defend.

ioko

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »

Get a grip? We lose 3-2 at home playing the wrong formation and yes, I will voice my disatisfaction if i want to. I am aware of all those questions and the answers you know. We all know the bigger picture but I am talking about one game I paid my money to see so Im sorry if its greatly offended anyone to use an Alty fans message board to discuss our performance.

Thats what boards are all about, debating things GOOD AND BAD and using it to voice opiniom whilst all sharing a common love of Alty and the desire to see us do well.

alty 11

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »

sumbody needs to calm down
this is a forum ur correct where everyone can have there OWN personal opinion, i was simply voicing mine.  so i must say i think u need to get a grip and remind urself that a forum is for light hearted discussions, debating and having the right to share opinions without being told to get a grip!!

Jenga

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »

I dont think my post was aggressive at all so no need to calm down.

ioko

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 02:10:03 PM »

U talking to Jenga or me?!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »

I wasnt at the game on Saturday as I was on my death bed at home.

I have read the comments above and would like to ask the following questions :-

1) Have our results this season improved?
2) Are we getting thumped 5-0 regularly?
3) Are we playing better football?
4) Are we improving all over the field from last year?
5) Are the crowds improving?
6) Had we played 2 up front against Burton would we have got beat by more than 2-3?
7) How often do you think the tactics we play are incorrect?
8 ) Joe O'Neill for captain, were people not calling for his head not so long ago?
9) We should play Thomson, unproven in the Conference, against a team who are now in third place?
10) Should we have guest beers in the club house? - sorry couldnt think of a good 10th question.

Come on guys get a grip of the bad comments and think about the improvements.

I am not saying our league position is not worrying. It is getting critical, and we now need 6 points from Northwich and Kiddy. This is acheiveable. If we can score 2 against Burton with one up front at home, then I am sure we can get a few against Vics and Kiddy - I hope you get my point here.

I repeat I was not at the game, the above are just general questions perhaps we should remind ourselves of.

Those points are valid, but just out of interest, does anyone know what points we had at this point last year?

From what I remember, after a couple of duff months last year, we picked it up after Robinson came and went on a good run. This year, we won't have that individual who can make the difference (unless Thompson comes good), so we really need to make every home game count and this means playing 2 up front.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »

in reply to ur 6th question -

i personally think we cud have taken 3points if we started with 4,4,2. with the 4,5,1 there was too many bodies in the middle they was getting in each others way and it was impossible to form frequent attacks. GH needs to be decisive and drop one of the midfielders, i agree they have all played well but we need to attack these teams, not sit back and defend.

I think we may have been watching different games!

We were the better side in the first half and put in one of our best 45 minutes this season (excluding individual errors).

We went in 2-1 down not because of the formation but due to sloppy errors in defence.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

Jimmy is right.  The main reason we lost on Saturday was because of very poor defending, particularly for the first goal.  Other than that we had the chances and posession. 

Last year

Last year
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »

After 21 games we had 21 points and a GD of minus 20

This year after 21 games we have 22 points and a GD of minus 10...............a theoretical improvement, although there is no like for like comparison because we have played different teams.
Therefore comparison is somewhat meaningless, but what is for certain, is that defensively we have improved.

What should be of concern is that the competition ie Forest Green and Tamworth look like they have improved as well. So called relegation 'bankers' (my choice of words) like St Albans and Stafford are also grinding out the away results.

Last season we had a great run in New Year with Robbo in the side, IMO GH needs to find a similar player if we are to record the much needed home wins this season over Aldershot, Cambridge, Kidderminster, Rushden  etc

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »

One of the big differnces this year is that Colin has been out for a couple of months, and we have not benefited from his goals. Hopefully his injury will clear up and he will start to score more frequently.

I think we played well on Saturday, and all there goals were preventable. I was as previously stated suprised at the line up, but it worked first half!!

Is anybody missing Joe??

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 07:48:13 PM »

yes yes oh dear god yes!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Game